Best HDD for Alienware M11x? Segate momentus XT or 128gb SSD? Dual boot?

NeonOmega

Weaksauce
Friends, I value your opinion!

I just bought a new work mobile laptop, Alienware M11x. I'm gonna get 8gb ram and another HDD in it when it gets here. But I am not sure what to do...

I am going to dual boot with OSX and Windows 7. I have a friend who has a Falcon 128gb SSD he was going to sell me for $125. Which is an awesome deal. But is 64gb a partition enough for me? Should I get a 500gb Segate Momentius XT and just cut it in half and not worry about storage. Will the XT work fine in the alienware M11x?

I will be doing some gaming (when I'm traveling) using steam games mostly, some casual gaming/ FPS/RTS. So I will need some storage for games.

And of course OSX apps, email, web, media, etc.

Has the firmware got any better on the Segate Momentus XT's?

120-128 GB SSD. I have a 120GB Vertex 2 SSD with Win7, all my work files (some 34GB), Photoshop CS5, Starcraft 2, KOTOR, Office 2010 (from the 10usd MS deal), and my meager WMA Lossless music collection (I have a Zune HD), and it still has 26.5 GB free.

I'm happy, and satisfied. It boots the wall on my i7 920 desktop, which feels slow with it's mech HDD (1TB Seagate Barracuda). Even something as simple as web browsing and opening new tabs on the desktop feels slow, now. Excel.... whole can of worms, there :p.
That being said... I've never owned the Momentus XT. I considered it, but never bought it. The XT will work in the m11x, check out NBR forums for that info. I have a m11xR2 (i7).

good info. thanks so much Jeremy.

BUT what about dual booting?? 64gb for windows7, games, email, programs. and 64gb with OSX??

I'm sorry, I don't know much about that. You'll probably run out of space, in that case.

You could get by with 2x64gb partitions, but you'd probably be a little tight.

The problem is, your other option, the Seagate Momentus XT has . . . issues still. The latest firmware "supposedly" fixed them, but then again, so did the firmware before, and I still know people who're having issues with theirs' after updating to the newest firmware.

Well... I think whoever designed the SD card slot should be fired. There, I said it. There are internal card readers, but I never got my USB variant working (mPCIe spec has internal USB connection) and I never tried the mPCIe variant, either. Otherwise, I would of recommended a SD card... but I have nothing I can really help you with. I tried a lot of things in my early m11x R1 and R2 days (yeah, I'm a creazy one who got both... :p), most of it spat out over the MNBR m11x forums.

Well it looks like my buddy sold the 128gb SSD. I will get the Seagate I am thinking. Unless someone knows about a smoking SSD deal I haven't heard about- a 500gb seagate is in my future...

why am I depressed about this??? Is there any other options?

I have a momentus 500gig in my hp lappy, even with this old 2ghz core 2 it boots windows 7 x64 faster than my i7 lappy and my 4.2ghz i7 desktop, both have 7200rpm spinners.

I installed the Momentux XT hybrid drive and have been very happy with it.

There are a few good video's on youtube showing the bootup process between the Momentus XT, SSD and 7200rpm drives.

I'd go for it

Back