Best HD-DVD/Bluray software?

Blown 89

2[H]4U
PowerDVD sucks and I'm tired of dealing with it. What other alternatives do I have for HD-DVD and Bluray playback?

What about Any DVD, I have seen it suggested alot on here. I am kinda wondering the same thing as OP, I would like to utilize my 5.1 speakers but don't want to spend $80 for Power DVD. I dont have a Blue Ray Drive yet, but it is on my wish list.

I think anyDVD removes copy protection and after that you are on your for a media player. As CrimandEvil already said your options are limited. AnyDVD is mostly used for ripping of both HD formats or if you don't have an HDCP compliant monitor.

Exactly. The only thing AnyDVD does is run in the background and removes the copy protection; it doesn't play videos.

Just like I said earlier; you have only two options.

PowerDVD is far and away the best HD-DVD/Blu-ray software. WinDVD is just buggy garbage, and TotalMedia has horrible picture quality. Yes, PowerDVD sucks ass, but it's waaaay better than the alternatives.

You can also play with Media Player Classic, as suggested, but you need AnyDVD and the filter setup can be a little tricky for novices. Also you won't be able to play lossless audio tracks. For discs with TrueHD/PCM you have to play the DD 640K track, and with DTS-HD you play the DTS core.

TotalMedia is a lot worst than PowerDVD 7/8.

Also PowerDVD 7 supports HD-DVD and Blu-ray but PowerDVD 8 only officially supports Blu-ray.

Good place for the latest info:
http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/forumdisplay.php?f=26
There's a hack to enable HD DVD in PowerDVD 8.

Taken from Slysoft forums and confirmed working:

First off you'll need the Ultra Deluxe version.

Secondly just download this and extract it in your PowerDVD 8 folder.
http://www.uploading.com/files/CFF9QV4Y/PDVD8_HDDVD_fix.rar.html

Then you'll need to register the HDDVDNav.ax file (the one extracted in the "NavFilter" folder). You do this by opening a command prompt in that folder and writing "regsvr32 HDDVDNav.ax". You should now get a msg that confirms the registration.

Also included in the .rar is a .reg that will get you back HDDVD autoplay capabilities.

There's a hack to enable HD DVD in PowerDVD 8.

Taken from Slysoft forums and confirmed working:

First off you'll need the Ultra Deluxe version.

Secondly just download this and extract it in your PowerDVD 8 folder.
http://www.uploading.com/files/CFF9QV4Y/PDVD8_HDDVD_fix.rar.html

Then you'll need to register the HDDVDNav.ax file (the one extracted in the "NavFilter" folder). You do this by opening a command prompt in that folder and writing "regsvr32 HDDVDNav.ax". You should now get a msg that confirms the registration.

Also included in the .rar is a .reg that will get you back HDDVD autoplay capabilities.

hi i extracted the file with WINRAR so now what do i do, how do i extract it to power 8 dvd folder?

By following the directions I posted. You have to have the right version of PDVD8 in the first place. If you have the wrong version it doesn't work.

i have power DVD 8 ultra. how do i check the version you mention is supposed to be compatible for?

Back