Best hassle free 1080 gtx

dhodson66

Weaksauce
I'm looking to get a 1080 for VR and want it as solid and hassle free as possible. When I've looked at different models at newegg some have had heat pad issues and I'd like to avoid any of that if possible. Which brand/version would you get for a hassle free experience?

As much as they have been hated on, I have had no troubles with my Nvidia branded Founders Edition. I don't have any need to overclock and it just works.

I've got a pair of EVGA Hybrid 1080s that I haven't had any issues with. All they do is heat up the room. Haha!

The only ones with pad issues, I believe, are the EVGAs and they should all be corrected by now. You should be fine with any big brand. My personal opinion for brands in the US is ASUS = MSI > EVGA = Gigabyte > Zotac = PNY.

I have had zero issues with my Gigabyte G1.

GB's bundled OC software isn't bad if you want zero hassles. I uninstalled it and use Afterburner but to each their own.

Evga has the best custumer support out there period and i think that should weigh in heavily as a hassle free experiance.

I just bought an MSI Gaming X. I like Evga but way too many QC problems this time around. I had an Asus 1080 but had problems with it.

Evga has the best custumer support out there period and i think that should weigh in heavily as a hassle free experiance.

+1 for EVGA! I would've gotten an Asus 1080 Strix but by all accounts regarding their customer service sounds nonexistent to put it bluntly.

I've never in my 20 years of gaming had an issue with a Gigabyte or MSI card, or frankly anything related to either manufacture. Both have always built solid silicon. I now pay extra to stick with MSI when I can.
Those dudes are awesome.

Ive had numerous problems with Asus and Evga, but in EVGAs defense my 980 has been fine. Just avoid their B-stock, get your receipt and warranty registration lamented and put it right above your computer. Asus in particular has generally been the bane of my gaming existence. Crappy coolers and crappy caps, buggy firmware. Everything from Cards to boards and even Monitors. I dont believe their tech support even exists. Im pretty sure I just get sent to an IRC bot that generates random audio files.

MSI or Asus would serve you really well. MSI has the two bigger fans but larger footprint to make it quieter.

For truly painless plug and play experience, there's probably not any beating the Founder's Edition. It has the most compact and streamlined cooler design, and only one power connector, which means that it should fit easily into even prebuilt systems, which usually have smaller cases, as long as they have a real power supply.

I don't think it really matters, though, other than that I'm not really that big a fan of EVGA.

Full disclosure, my gaming machine has a PNY 1080FE, but I went with the Founder's Edition so I'd have the most water jacket options. The Founder's Edition cooler is pretty, though. I feel kinda bad keeping it in a box.

Both of my MSI Gaming X 8G cards have been flawless. Factory overclock, very well built, they run very cool & quiet....I've been thoroughly impressed by them.

Back