Best hardware store/chain in the US? (European asking)

jon67

Gawd
I'll be in Houston for a week next month, and I plan to find time for shopping some hardware/electronics with the US dollar being so weak and all... However, time will be scarce so I would appreciate some advice on where to go, compusa, bestbuy or are there better options? Looking for a vid card, RAM and various adapters/connectors.

(I sure there are previous threads on this topic but I haven't found any)

I wish I could vouch for my own suggestion, but in the Hot Deals forum, it seems as if every other post is about some fantastic Fry's (Electronics) sale.

http://www.frys.com/houston.html

I wish I could say "yes, fantastic store" but I cant from experience. However, their deals seem to be on nice stuff which implies their stores carry nice stuff.

Best Buy has a lot of stuff, CompUSA also has a lot of stuff, I'd put the two as equals in my neck of the woods.

The Problem with Fry's Electronics is locations. There really aren't that many compared to Best Buy or CompUSA. But Fry's does have a great return policy, and id probably the best store to go to in order to troubleshoot your own hardware. However no matter how short the line is for returns it can still take ages. The employees really don't know a lot, or just completely ignore you. It's better to know what you are looking for when you go there.

Coast to Coast you'll probably find more Best Buys and Comp USA's though.

And if there is a local Fry's there is always an add at least twice a week with the deals they have. I have not yet been burned by purchasing a deal listed in the papaer.

And if your in Arizona don't confuse Fry's Electonics with Fry's Grocery store.

Fry's has a great selection and usually good prices. You do need to be wary of the box you pick up however. Fry's takes returns and refurbs and puts them back on the same shelves as brand new product. They put a small sticker on the box with a slightly lower price and a description saying "refurb" or something similar. There may or may not be anything wrong with the item, but you should decide if you want to take the risk or go with a new item.

Thanks for your advice. I'll try and visit Fry's in Houston, but from your replies I understand that I won't get ripped off if I go to Compusa or Bestbuy instead.

I'll be taking the goods I buy overseas without trying it first, so the store's return policy doesn't mean much... if I bring home a "Monday sample" I'm stuck with it ;)

aggpirate said:
Making fun of our money :eek: :D :D
Absolutely not, but I'll take advantage of the low USD exchange rate whenever I can. It hasn't always been like this... and it surely won't last ;)

robberbaron said:
Having a "weak" dollar has advantages. This is one of them: it invites foreigners to buy our crap :D

...and your companies...

jon67 said:
Is this a regular store or a webshop with pick-up facilities? I'd like to be able to browse around a little bit without having to order in advance.

That I'm not sure about...I've always thought it was a local store that went big...you may give them an email or call to find out.

Fry's is pretty cool too, we don't have one here in utah, but I've been to the Vegas store...I loved it :D

Go to the Fry's in the Seabrook/Clear Lake location. Then if you want you can hit up Best Buy, CompUSA, Office Depot, etc... they are all in a stone throw from one another(so is the Johnson Space Center/NASA if you care). Then you need to hit up some bars and check out the Texas women.

Fry's seems to generally have good prices, sometimes they have REALLY good deals. But I've noticed that their video card prices are insane... they'll have 9600 XTs sell for more than 6600 GTs, that sort of thing.

are you looking for fun feeling and picking your items or lowest prices?

if the first one, then go to frys and comp usa.
if the second one, then before you arrive in few days, order what you need from newegg, or zipzoomfly or monrach....etc and gvie them the address where you will stay so they will be ready on your arrival, you will save around 10-15% if not more

Both fun and value for money would be great, or at least a little bit of both. Been thinking about ordering in advance, but then again I don't really need anything so I'd rather just look around and buy stuff on impulse this time. If I come across X800XL cards for $300 or less I'll definitely buy one, maybe two.

Thanks again for the advice, both Fry's and Texas bars are on my list :)

If you have never been to Houston be prepared to drive. The greater Houston area is twice the size of the state of Rhode Island.

Back