Best Graphics of 2014?

Best Real time graphics of 2014 platform independent.

• Total voters
Alien isolation is a great game, but it has some terrible textures.

True, that was the one glaring weakness of the overall, otherwise, mostly amazing looking game. I'm basing my vote more so on the last level, when you're outside the space station. Whereas pretty much all games, no matter how good they look, they still look like games. But in the last level, outside the space station, that looked almost like CG, and I can't say that for any other game. And I was also much more impressed with the outside visuals than the inside levels for this game. I wish there were more outside levels, as they were just amazing.

But taken as a whole, yeah, an otherwise good to mind blowing amazing looking game is, unfortunately, marred by its low resolution textures.

Alien Isolation belongs on the list of best PC games of 2014 but not best graphics

That's subjective, but yeah, if you look at it objectively and from an overall package, it probably doesn't. But that doesn't take anything away from the last level - outside the space station visuals, which, I think, surpasses everything out there. I was just in awe as I was playing that one section of the game.

Last edited:
I don't see how you could consider any of those console games with sub 1080p sub 60 fps graphics to be the best of the year.

I'm gonna be another one to say that The Vanishing of Ethan Carter is most probably the best looking game of 2014 in terms of fidelity, by far.

havent fired it up yet, but from what ive read Ethan Carter probably takes it. Shadows of Mordor can also look fairly impressive.

Ethan Carter was visually stunning. I wish the game was longer tho. I'm hoping they come out with a sequel or another game.

I am pretty sure many would not have played Ryse on PC because of the bad reviews it got at launch but if they did I would bet they wouldn`t choose anything else...:D

I don't see how you could consider any of those console games with sub 1080p sub 60 fps graphics to be the best of the year.

I think that's mostly the console people on here. I mean TLOU is not even in the same fucking league of graphics of most of these games on the list. That's obvious to any sane person. What is surprising though is FC4 getting as many votes as it is. It's a nice looking game no doubt but it is not nearly as good technically as AC Unity or even DAI.

my order would be;

1. AC Unity
2. Ryse
3. Ethan Carter
4. Alien Iso
5.DAI ( though I have only played about 5 hours of this game)

I am pretty sure many would not have played Ryse on PC because of the bad reviews it got at launch but if they did I would bet they wouldn`t choose anything else...:D

I've seen some YouTube videos of the game and it doesn't look as impressive as people keep saying (maybe it looks better when taking YouTube's compression out of the equation)...the gameplay looks boring as hell so just from a graphics benchmark standpoint I only plan to pick this up when it hits under $10

I think why Far Cry 4 has so many votes is because it actually looks that gorgeous. If you are playing Far Cry 4 without playing any of the other Far Cry`s or you are not comparing 3 and 4 side by side, you wouldn`t see a difference. There is a huge difference if you compare it together. Far sharper textures, better objects, immensely improved lighting, sub surface scattering, PBS, Better water effects and textures, Better Physics and cloth simulations etc... This is what I was expecting in Far Cry 3. Just imagine Far Cry 3 with this tech :eek:!!...

fc4, but imo the characters still have a cartoony feel and look
dunno when they'll break out of that, but the environment is super beautiful

I'm not necessarily saying it has the best visuals (I dislike the criteria of "graphics") but Guilty Gear Xrd in my opinion should be a consideration. From a design and achievement perceptive I wouldn't hesitate to personally place it above several of the options on this poll.

fc4, but imo the characters still have a cartoony feel and look
dunno when they'll break out of that, but the environment is super beautiful

Not trying to single you out (as unfortunately I feel this is the dominate view) but is "realism" (and the accuracy of it) a criteria for good visuals?

Could a cel shaded game qualify as having the best visuals?

I think why Far Cry 4 has so many votes is because it actually looks that gorgeous. If you are playing Far Cry 4 without playing any of the other Far Cry`s or you are not comparing 3 and 4 side by side, you wouldn`t see a difference. There is a huge difference if you compare it together. Far sharper textures, better objects, immensely improved lighting, sub surface scattering, PBS, Better water effects and textures, Better Physics and cloth simulations etc... This is what I was expecting in Far Cry 3. Just imagine Far Cry 3 with this tech :eek:!!...

As good as FC4 looks, is it actually possible to get it to look like it does in their commercials?

Last edited:
Dragon Age. Anyone who says different doesn't have a good enough rig to run it at ultra settings.

The thing is, graphics are subjective. Some people are impressed by stills while others are more impressed with animation. Is a photo realistic game running at 20-30fps better than one that looks worse in stills but runs at 120fps? Some people are interested in graphical effects like sun rays and dynamic fur while other people couldn't care less.
Personally, I'm more impressed with animation and immersion than stills and graphical checklists...and I can run pretty much everything on "ultra." Other people are the opposite and that's fine.

Is a photo realistic game running at 20-30fps better than one that looks worse in stills but runs at 120fps?

the answer to that question is a definite YES...you're talking about performance versus graphics...2 different topics

the answer to that question is a definite YES...you're talking about performance versus graphics...2 different topics

To me, animation IS graphics. A game isn't graphically impressive if it's choppy no matter what the reason is.

To me, animation IS graphics. A game isn't graphically impressive if it's choppy no matter what the reason is.

AC Unity is filled with bugs but you can't deny its stunning visuals. So no, animation does not really take away anything from the game's visuals. Animation affects the game play more than anything else for me.

The thing is, graphics are subjective. Some people are impressed by stills while others are more impressed with animation.
I think that's the problem when asked which game has better graphics rather than whether a game has better graphical fidelity or better artwork. If it's just a question of visual fidelity, it's easier to be objective, but "graphics" becomes too intertwined with artwork and presentation to be judged objectively.

Still, the poll doesn't suggest you can't use animation in your decision and doesn't suggest that it's objective. Just pick the one you think has better "graphics" — whatever that means to you.

I feel like Unity throws more detail into its scenes than the other games on the list, so that's what I went with. How it performs is kind of a secondary concern.

For me it's mostly about "immersion". If I see frame-drops and shit popping in from the background, it really distracts me from what may be otherwise great looking.

Back