Back on the hunt for new cards
Let me started by telling you guy what I'm doing
Will be using BenQ 2420t x3 Plus a Tv for media
Rig in sig minus the cards a lot of deal didn't happen as of late :mad:

Main use of it will be
1. Gaming
2. Project free TV/netflix/Movies
3. [H]ARD and other forums
4. Remote access of my work computer(never done)
5.Video editing and photo shop hobby type work

Game's I play BF3/ 2033 type games/ GTA type games/ Racing games/Borderlands 2
And want to play the newer Batman Game too.

Also plan to water cool the cards with Heatkiller blocks if available.

Thank you for look and I hope you can help me out on this decisions.
I will check back often too;)

wabbitseason

[H]ard|Gawd
There's no better single-card option for extreme resolutions than an overclocked 7970. For this application the 680 is overpriced and under-performing by comparison.

If you want to do multi-GPU, I'd recommend GTX680s (I was persuaded by an article on here a short while back which showed a more consistent frame latency for SLI vs crossfire.)

wabbitseason

[H]ard|Gawd
Triple cards are for people who really aren't at all concerned with money. The performance gain is hardly worth the cost. There has been some conjecture that adding a third card can reduce microstutter--take that as you will.

To try to drive three 1080p displays at 120Hz with no restrictions I'd say go with two 680s. If you really don't care about $500, go ahead and use three--it certainly won't be any worse than two.

ComingUP

Weaksauce
I know it will take some gpu power to get it done but what card has the best out put on it to deal with the displayport monitor.
Want to use the same out put for a 3
Here problems with mixed signal out put on 120hz displays in eyefinity / nvidia surround

CrazyRob

[H]ard|Gawd
Also figure i'd point out, if you go the nvidia route (GTX680 SLI) you can avoid any display port adapters. I've been running 3d vision surround on my gtx680's and have been quite pleased with it, however, I do plan to get a 3rd gpu.

ComingUP

Weaksauce
Also figure i'd point out, if you go the nvidia route (GTX680 SLI) you can avoid any display port adapters. I've been running 3d vision surround on my gtx680's and have been quite pleased with it, however, I do plan to get a 3rd gpu.

What is the cable set up that you use on you monitor?

Tsumi

[H]F Junkie
Dual-link DVI will handle 120 Hz 1080p with ease. The GTX 680s have dual-link DVI.

ComingUP

Weaksauce
So i would run 2 dual link dvi off the 680 and one displayport? Then the hdmi to my Tv right
Btw the gtx 670 4gb would be able to do the same thing right.
Never been on team green yet.

ebduncan

[H]ard|Gawd
7970 x 2 in crossfire.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814121560

The Asus DC2 7970, has 4 full size display ports.

None of the Nvida Cards have more than 1 display port (fullsize) They often come with 2 DVI, 1 Hdmi, and 1 display port.

The GTX680 Sli will perform a bit better in Battlefield 3, vs the 7970 cf but most other titles will prefer the 7970 crossfire at high resolution. If you go the Nvida route make sure to buy quality adapters.

ensu3

n00b
SLI GTX 680 4GB, utilize the DL-DVI and DisplayPort for 120hz to your monitors

carlosgod

n00b
Hello - as user of the three screen monitor setup (Samsung Syncmaster MD230X3) I have some experience with this so I may be able to help out here...

The first thing that I want to point out - which has not been pointed out in this forum thus far - is that running games on three screen will push even the most advanced graphics card available to the limits. So before deciding which brand to go for - you'll need to figure out how many cards you need to get get fps to the level that is making full use of your 120HZ monitors.

I currently use two Sapphire 7970 OC in X fire configuration. I overclock both to 1130MHz core clock. At max settings for GTA IV Episodes from Liberty City (i.e. 5720 X 1080 resolution, AA X 16, Very high vehicles density, Very High texure/render/shadow density and View/Detail distance set to 100, Vsync off) I get a little under 40 fps, 60fps during quiet scenes/indoor and 10 fps during heavy fight sequence in open space. Note that I can probably overvolt my 7970 (to say 1.3v) and get both cards running at 1200-1250MHz stable as some people have been able to do - but that might only add may be 10-15% improvement in performance, and a hefty electricity bill!

In the end, to get GTA IV running at 50fps average at stock voltage on three screens, I ended up scaling down AA to x8, Viewing/Detail distance to 50. Everything else still set at max. It's not too bad - I can barely tell the difference between AA X 8 and AA X 16 anyway...

So what I am saying is that it wouldn't have mattered if I had 120Hz monitor or 60Hz monitor (The Samsungs are 60Hz) - X fire simply cannot get it up to 60fps at max or near max graphics settings. Shogun 2 Total War is no different. I don't have BF3 but it's probably the same situation I would guess...

So before considering whether to go for Nvidia or ATI, the first thing you need to decide is how to get your games running at 100+fps. You have two options: either three way or four way cross fire/SLI OR you cut back on your graphics settings drastically.

Seeing that card prices have been coming down a lot these days (the Sapphire OC are being sold at 400 bucks on Amazon as we speak from 550 when it first came out) - and you're gonna be watercooling your system then you should definitely consider 3-4 card set up. However, I heard that a lot of games do not support three/four ways in triple screen config...

Hope this helps!

PS. You can check out the performance of SINGLE 7970 vs 680 for triple screen set up here: http://hexus.net/tech/reviews/graphics/37253-three-screen-geforce-gtx-680-vs-radeon-hd-7970/

PPS and water-cooled Quadfire triple screen set up running BF3 (the setup looks like a mini nuclear reactor!)- you should get in touch with this guy and ask him his stats: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1672524

Last edited: