Best GPU for an old PC (ASRock X58 Extreme)?

The clear path is simply to move to something like a Ryzen 5 2600, B450 / X570, and 16GB DDR4 3200 CL16. With an OEM cooler all of the above can be had for:

CPU + HSF: $89
Motherboard: $100
Ram: $45
Total: $234

i7 920, X58, + 12 GB DDR3: -$75

You'd be net out pocket for $159, have a major upgrade path in AM4 as the CPU get less expensive, and move into way more energy efficient platform that also happens to have way newer capabilities. You could buy something as mentioned above like a 1080 for about $200 or there was even a guy on here selling a GTX 970 for $65. That 970 has a 60% higher Firestrike score than the 7950. Buying that 970 and selling your 7950 would add another $40 to your build. Basically meaning you could build an almost entirely new PC for $199 and it'd blow your old machine out of the water in every sense. There becomes points where it makes more sense to replace what you have as it's hit it's almost maximum depreciation and move into something newer, but not brand new. This is it for you.
I moved from x58 to AM4, as I never did any of the crazy socket switchs that Intel was down with, somthing like the $85 Ryzen 5 1600 AF would be a nice find and about where to start, it's 12nm with better memory speed, like 3333Mhz speed, my daughter has one in her PC and it really cost $85 new on Amazon back then and still running!

I still like the spend $18 on a new CPU and overclock it choice. Its more fun and realistically still results in a capable pc.

Else am4 platforms are pretty reasonable but if I already had a nice x58 platform onhand I would absolutely grab a decent GPU and see how long I could run the system for

After you can't run it anymore, then what? After you've waited say a year or two, your current parts might not work, and be worth less. Now you're given the perfect opportunity to move to an inexpensive current generation motherboard platform for a small amount. It gives a clear upgrade path, while maximizing the value of your current parts, and saving power in the long run. The only constraint would be if OP's budget doesn't allow this. Investing more money into a dead platform like X58 doesn't make sense.

OP's X58 motherboard with a 130w TDP idles around 110 watts. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x58-usb-3.0-sata-6-gbps,2614-14.html . Ryzen 5 2600 idles around 53 wats. https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-2600-review,7.html#:~:text=In an IDLE state, a,SSD) consumes roughly 50 Watts. This isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison as PSU and GPU are different between these tests, but...

110w-53w = 57w

57w / 1000 = 0.057 kWh

0.057 kWh * 24 * 365 = 499.32 kWh / year in idle power consumption difference

499.32 kWh * $0.13 = $64.91

If the system idles 24/7 for a year, moving to the 2600 system saves $64.91 at $0.13 / kWh. System sleep, powered off, and in use time will vary but the load numbers on the X58 system being higher probably add to the total. This is all while moving to a CPU that's almost double the speed in various benchmarks (Passmark screenshot):

1661018128135.png

At $199 net to upgrade the: CPU, heatsink, motherboard, memory, and GPU you'd mow through that cost to upgrade in power costs in 2.78 years. Overclock that X5680, increasing it's power consumption, and it'll only narrow the time gap.

I moved from x58 to AM4, as I never did any of the crazy socket switchs that Intel was down with, somthing like the $85 Ryzen 5 1600 AF would be a nice find and about where to start, it's 12nm with better memory speed, like 3333Mhz speed, my daughter has one in her PC and it really cost $85 new on Amazon back then and still running!

1600AF is effectively the same as the 2600 I mentioned so they'd be equally good choices. Whatever is cheaper would be the better option.

Last edited:
After you can't run it anymore, then what? After you've waited say a year or two, your current parts might not work, and be worth less. Now you're given the perfect opportunity to move to an inexpensive current generation motherboard platform for a small amount. It gives a clear upgrade path, while maximizing the value of your current parts, and saving power in the long run. The only constraint would be if OP's budget doesn't allow this. Investing more money into a dead platform like X58 doesn't make sense.

OP's X58 motherboard with a 130w TDP idles around 110 watts. https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/x58-usb-3.0-sata-6-gbps,2614-14.html . Ryzen 5 2600 idles around 53 wats. https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-5-2600-review,7.html#:~:text=In an IDLE state, a,SSD) consumes roughly 50 Watts. This isn't exactly an apples to apples comparison as PSU and GPU are different between these tests, but...

110w-53w = 57w

57w / 1000 = 0.057 kWh

If the system idles 24/7 for a year, moving to the 2600 system saves $64.91 at $0.13 / kWh. System sleep, powered off, and in use time will vary but the load numbers on the X58 system being higher probably add to the total. This is all while moving to a CPU that's almost double the speed in various benchmarks (Passmark screenshot):

View attachment 502451

At $199 net to upgrade the: CPU, heatsink, motherboard, memory, and GPU you'd mow through that cost to upgrade in power costs in 2.78 years. Overclock that X5680, increasing it's power consumption, and it'll only narrow the time gap.

1600AF is the same as the 2600 I mentioned so they'd be equally good choices. Whatever is cheaper would be the better option.
Am4 is just going to get cheaper as well. X58 is pretty stable in value and should remain that way as it is a cool platform. The mobo cpu ram is probably worth $100 ish if op was to sell it and buy something else. I think the power costs are abit overblown as I personally dont leave my computer on for the entirety of the year. Under load the difference between the rigs should narrow as most of the power use is GPU and the x58 is lacking mostly in idle states (especially when overclocked).

I just don't see much point in throwing another few hundred at it when simply a GPU purchase is enough to have a fairly capable rig.

Although back to the original question anything past a 2070 on many games would be pushing this platform. If there is the money available for a nice GPU a platform upgrade would be warranted. If this is a extreme budget situation I would grab a 980ti or something for ~$100 and call it good for 1440p gaming at reasonable settings.

Am4 is just going to get cheaper as well. X58 is pretty stable in value and should remain that way as it is a cool platform. The mobo cpu ram is probably worth $100 ish if op was to sell it and buy something else. I think the power costs are abit overblown as I personally dont leave my computer on for the entirety of the year. Under load the difference between the rigs should narrow as most of the power use is GPU and the x58 is lacking mostly in idle states (especially when overclocked).

I just don't see much point in throwing another few hundred at it when simply a GPU purchase is enough to have a fairly capable rig.

Although back to the original question anything past a 2070 on many games would be pushing this platform. If there is the money available for a nice GPU a platform upgrade would be warranted. If this is a extreme budget situation I would grab a 980ti or something for ~$100 and call it good for 1440p gaming at reasonable settings.
Someone is selling the almost exact same setup as OP with more / denser ram for $85 and it isn't selling. You still need to subtract ebay fees and shipping costs, another $18 is depending on where the item is being shipped to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/1551030910...AUye6t8ioCqJBMM923d0l13SJi2m|tkp:BFBMttiKytdg You think a year or two from now it'll be worth more or in higher demand? Perhaps it isn't working properly because it's ancient.

Yes, AM4 will depreciate too, all PC components do. The difference is a year or two from now all you need to buy is a CPU to update the system and they'll be cheaper then too. All while you've saved on sunken costs in investing in X58, power, and your time. It's $149 net to replace the: CPU, heatsink, motherboard, and memory. With the newer platform you can get by on a cheaper GPU because it won't be as bottlenecked by the platform. GPU are the single largest depreciating asset in a PC. With ETH finally winding down and both AMD and Nvidia coming out with new GPU, prices will continue to fall on them. A 2600 / GTX 1080 platform would cost less than $300 to upgrade the entire system. For $300 the best GPU you're going to get is a 3060 that's around 12-13% better performance with the same platform vs a 1080.

wareyore's 1070 + 920 fire strike ultra score comes out to 4039. The average score of a 3600 (there's no 2600 results) and a 1070 is 4494, 11.26% better.​

https://www.3dmark.com/search?_ga=2...ck=&maxGpuMemClock=&minCpuClock=&maxCpuClock=

You're looking at maybe 2% better performance with a 3060 vs a 1080 simply because of the bottleneck for the same $300 while still being stuck on X58, having zero upgrade path, and using more power. These also aren't, "Feel or think" numbers but actually researching results, values, and providing sources. It might be simple to swap CPU, but makes no sense once you start running the numbers.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Someone is selling the almost exact same setup as OP with more / denser ram for $85 and it isn't selling. You still need to subtract ebay fees and shipping costs, another $18 is depending on where the item is being shipped to. https://www.ebay.com/itm/155103091099?hash=item241cdd599b:g:iUwAAOSwhi5i6p~B&amdata=enc:AQAHAAAA4AqVZ+GQ1SINK0fq+NyAuHMvBRFSxw9u0So5uzXjEKJOMA59ZhTVo7WSht8IQZ0Zn8ddqkKD5av6qod5YVjx7ExyuFsuscHb0w7eqyyTFBdHALmQDxyoexhaICjX+uBZxv0vuMgT6FqggIcRNzF8EEWb1saMRxGB/nJ0pe+9UKCC7Cb2c3UajGbI/rw7qywNeX6vVXk/1SPRyf76cxVMv9I5jE79oDmpco07W+doMbjP66cMfiZAczSWNOUoiZGSVgbBUFDATmPbJjJlAUye6t8ioCqJBMM923d0l13SJi2m|tkp:BFBMttiKytdg You think a year or two from now it'll be worth more or in higher demand? Perhaps it isn't working properly because it's ancient.

Yes, AM4 will depreciate too, all PC components do. The difference is a year or two from now all you need to buy is a CPU to update the system and they'll be cheaper then too. All while you've saved on sunken costs in investing in X58, power, and your time. It's $149 net to replace the: CPU, heatsink, motherboard, and memory. With the newer platform you can get by on a cheaper GPU because it won't be as bottlenecked by the platform. GPU are the single largest depreciating asset in a PC. With ETH finally winding down and both AMD and Nvidia coming out with new GPU, prices will continue to fall on them. A 2600 / GTX 1080 platform would cost less than $300 to upgrade the entire system. For $300 the best GPU you're going to get is a 3060 that's around 12-13% better performance with the same platform vs a 1080.

wareyore's 1070 + 920 fire strike ultra score comes out to 4039. The average score of a 3600 (there's no 2600 results) and a 1070 is 4494, 11.26% better.​

https://www.3dmark.com/search?_ga=2.60383853.1927584706.1661022877-699359123.1661022877#advanced?test=fs R&cpuId=2481&gpuId=1090&gpuCount=0&gpuType=ALL&deviceType=ALL&storageModel=ALL&memoryChannels=0&country=&scoreType=overallScore&hofMode=false&showInvalidResults=false&freeParams=&minGpuCoreClock=&maxGpuCoreClock=&minGpuMemClock=&maxGpuMemClock=&minCpuClock=&maxCpuClock=

You're looking at maybe 2% better performance with a 3060 vs a 1080 simply because of the bottleneck for the same $300 while still being stuck on X58, having zero upgrade path, and using more power. These also aren't, "Feel or think" numbers but actually researching results, values, and providing sources. It might be simple to swap CPU, but makes no sense once you start running the numbers.
Op has a soon to be overclocked x5680 not a 920. The firestrike scores are interesting. I bet the x5680 would close the gap with a 1070 to 5% or so and obviously very depending on the game with some games struggling on the older platform.

I think a 1070 would be a good purchase for this system regardless. especially with the prices of cards dropping.

I dont think x58 is depreciating much farther. A decent overclocking board is desirable and will always have some sort of appeal. Am4 still has some room to depreciate and there are very capable combos that are pretty affordable and soon to be more. Ive seen 3900x combos for $300 in fs/ft

Why not ride out a overclocked x5680 system till am5 is established abit more then pick up one of the even more abundant am4 systems?

As of right now I think all that is needed is a decent gpu. Probably 1080ti or 2070 at the max

I still like the spend $18 on a new CPU and overclock it choice. Its more fun and realistically still results in a capable pc.

Else am4 platforms are pretty reasonable but if I already had a nice x58 platform onhand I would absolutely grab a decent GPU and see how long I could run the system for
At 4K it doesn't matter too much still between a 4ghz x58 with decent ram versus a modern system too. 1080 is where you will see the cpu bottleneck more. X58 is still very capable, as long as you aren't just staring at benches all day...

Op has a soon to be overclocked x5680 not a 920. The firestrike scores are interesting. I bet the x5680 would close the gap with a 1070 to 5% or so and obviously very depending on the game with some games struggling on the older platform.

I think a 1070 would be a good purchase for this system regardless. especially with the prices of cards dropping.

I dont think x58 is depreciating much farther. A decent overclocking board is desirable and will always have some sort of appeal. Am4 still has some room to depreciate and there are very capable combos that are pretty affordable and soon to be more. Ive seen 3900x combos for $300 in fs/ft

Why not ride out a overclocked x5680 system till am5 is established abit more then pick up one of the even more abundant am4 systems?

As of right now I think all that is needed is a decent gpu. Probably 1080ti or 2070 at the max
You must've missed my part about, "Feel, think, or bet" without providing information to back your claims. I, "Feel" your claims are useless because they lack information to back them.

I'm aware he had a 920 before he wasted money on an x5680. You can lookup the Fire Strike scores on their website, it takes about 30 seconds x5680 + GTX 1070 for an average score of 4267:
https://www.3dmark.com/search?_ga=2...ck=&maxGpuMemClock=&minCpuClock=&maxCpuClock=

That's still 5.3% lower than a 3600. The top 6/15 results all have major OC that the OP might not be able to hit: 4.1-4.562 which is more than likely pulling the average up. If you're able to narrow that performance window with the OC you're just narrowing the timeframe in power consumption where it reduces the timeframe where you're paying for more in power than it cost to upgrade the entire system. Looking at prices, you can actually get a 3600 for the same price as a 2600: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr..._odkw=ryzen+7+2700&_osacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_sop=15 .

A 1070 would be a good choice for the OP. They still have very respectable performance in modern games and have come down in value nicely.

All components depreciate, X58 included, and will continue to do so. You can think that they don't, but if your claim is true why are they still going down in value? Why aren't Core 2 Quads still selling for more than a few dollars? They're still solid choices for those platforms. I sold an i7 920 in 8/10/2015 for $43, they're now worth $8.50. The problem is you're getting to the point with X58 where a year or two from now, people will more than likely be less inclined to buy them because everything else has gone down in value as well presenting better deals. We're pretty much at that point now because you can see the combo I posted originally with the same CPU, motherboard, and more ram still isn't selling yet it's less than you, "Thought" OP's setup should be worth. OP is also risking the possibility that a component on the board stops working properly or at all over the next few years losing potentially most or all of the value it still has. Pushing more voltage and heat through a 14 year old motherboard isn't going to do it any favors either in that regard.

Two years with an overclocked X5680 just narrows the cost window to upgrading now. You're wasting money powering that system that could be going towards upgrading it and saving power over the long run. Two years alone of idle gets you to the point $130 that you'd be paying $19 out of pocket to upgrade to X570 and the 3600. That difference in power cost could also be the difference between a 1070 to 1080 or 1080 to 1080 ti. OP obviously keeps their systems forever. Let him run X570 and have the prospect of updating their CPU or whole system when the times comes another 10 years from now. At this point you're just dragging X58 along for no reason and wasting money, time, and effort.

110w-53w = 57w

57w / 1000 = 0.057 kWh

View attachment 502451

1600AF is the same as the 2600 I mentioned so they'd be equally good choices. Whatever is cheaper would be the better option.
2600 is 14nm / 1600 AF is 12 nm, so alittle differents with the memory speeds, I took the 1600 AF to 3333Mhz in XMP 1 profile and locked it down when it was a new product with 3600Mhz memory sticks. even ran Fire Strike at 3600Mhz XMP 2 profile but not 100% stable. backed it down.

Last edited:
You must've missed my part about, "Feel, think, or bet" without providing information to back your claims. I, "Feel" your claims are useless because they lack information to back them.

I'm aware he had a 920 before he wasted money on an x5680. You can lookup the Fire Strike scores on their website, it takes about 30 seconds x5680 + GTX 1070 for an average score of 4267:
https://www.3dmark.com/search?_ga=2.56772202.1927584706.1661022877-699359123.1661022877#advanced?test=fs R&cpuId=1216&gpuId=1090&gpuCount=0&gpuType=ALL&deviceType=ALL&storageModel=ALL&memoryChannels=0&country=&scoreType=overallScore&hofMode=false&showInvalidResults=false&freeParams=&minGpuCoreClock=&maxGpuCoreClock=&minGpuMemClock=&maxGpuMemClock=&minCpuClock=&maxCpuClock=

That's still 5.3% lower than a 3600. The top 6/15 results all have major OC that the OP might not be able to hit: 4.1-4.562 which is more than likely pulling the average up. If you're able to narrow that performance window with the OC you're just narrowing the timeframe in power consumption where it reduces the timeframe where you're paying for more in power than it cost to upgrade the entire system. Looking at prices, you can actually get a 3600 for the same price as a 2600: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fr..._odkw=ryzen+7+2700&_osacat=0&LH_BIN=1&_sop=15 .

A 1070 would be a good choice for the OP. They still have very respectable performance in modern games and have come down in value nicely.

All components depreciate, X58 included, and will continue to do so. You can think that they don't, but if your claim is true why are they still going down in value? Why aren't Core 2 Quads still selling for more than a few dollars? They're still solid choices for those platforms. I sold an i7 920 in 8/10/2015 for $43, they're now worth $8.50. The problem is you're getting to the point with X58 where a year or two from now, people will more than likely be less inclined to buy them because everything else has gone down in value as well presenting better deals. We're pretty much at that point now because you can see the combo I posted originally with the same CPU, motherboard, and more ram still isn't selling yet it's less than you, "Thought" OP's setup should be worth. OP is also risking the possibility that a component on the board stops working properly or at all over the next few years losing potentially most or all of the value it still has. Pushing more voltage and heat through a 14 year old motherboard isn't going to do it any favors either in that regard.

Two years with an overclocked X5680 just narrows the cost window to upgrading now. You're wasting money powering that system that could be going towards upgrading it and saving power over the long run. Two years alone of idle gets you to the point $130 that you'd be paying $19 out of pocket to upgrade to X570 and the 3600. That difference in power cost could also be the difference between a 1070 to 1080 or 1080 to 1080 ti. OP obviously keeps their systems forever. Let him run X570 and have the prospect of updating their CPU or whole system when the times comes another 10 years from now. At this point you're just dragging X58 along for no reason and wasting money, time, and effort.
I feel ya have missed the spirit of the discussion as this post has quickly devolved from a casual debate to attacks and repeating the same similar stuff.

I'm mobile so I apologize but I won't quote individual parts of the post:

5.3% percent is pretty close to the 5% I guessed? Benchmarks really dont matter though and I did state the x58 platform would struggle in heavily single threaded applications. 12 threads would also do just fine in many others. Should make for a fairly capable rig regardless.

Core2 is worthless as its leaps slower then westmere and isnt near as fun to oc.

The mobo is the only expensive part. Dual 1366 boards are like $30 a overclocking x58 board is most of the $85 you looked into

No one idles a computer for 2 years. Power cost isn't near as relevant as you are basing your argument off.

No real reason not to pair the x58 platform with a modern budget GPU and run it for a few years. At that point am4 should be dirt cheap.

Maybe a new from EVGA, RTX 2060 KO Ultra for $209.

https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=06G-P4-2068-KR
I agree, the 2060 is at an amazing price right now. I just bought a GTX 1650 Super for my new build and I am not kidding that i paid $30.00 more for it than a 2060 KO Ultra would have cost me despite being 50% faster. Low-end midrange cards are insanely overpriced right now for some reason. In my case, I was under a strict requirement to maintain a TDP not exceeding 100W but if you are not constrained by your PSU, it would be nuts to look at the 1660, 1650 and even 1630 series right now given the price of the 2060.

I just retired my wife's 2600k/P8P67 Asus Revo combo. I picked up 1 year after it was introduced. The X58 was no where near as streamlined of a system and the P67. She actually got that system only 3 years ago. A hand me down from me. Her X58 that was running at 4.2 for 7 years finally had the mobo fail. So to say what if????? is just a what if. Any GPU that is bought right now could be moved to the new system that he may have to go to.

So let's open another can of worms here. Let's use the OP's X58 system as the example. Running it at 4.0 with a stable overclock. Yes he will bottleneck a 3080. It would also bottleneck a 2080ti and probably a 1080ti. So using GAMING only. Which card will preform with the highest frame rates at the higher resolution(1440p)? Please tell me I am wrong to think a 1080ti will not have the exact same frame rates as a 3080.

Think about if you had only $300 to spend and you have a good running system already. Would a bottlenecked card be the best route for now. Seeing 7th,8th and 9th gen systems prices are coming down to less than $200. Buy the better GPU and save for a upgraded system later.

BTW the 2600k system was still running strong and being moved to becoming a folding rig. So it will see a few more years of use. Just to make note. It has been running at 4.4 since new. No issues at all. Don't knock a old system because you have a newer one.

At 4K it doesn't matter too much still between a 4ghz x58 with decent ram versus a modern system too. 1080 is where you will see the cpu bottleneck more. X58 is still very capable, as long as you aren't just staring at benches all day...
Agreed if the player is 4K or VR. If E-Sports ultra high frame rate Hz. it will be a potato. Depends on the gamer. Triple memory channel alows it to stay in the game at VR rez. Such a good platform back in the day. I regret jumping on AM2+ for the cost savings.

I'm in a similar boat with my AMD Ryzen 2600X CPU and RTX 2060 GPU playing at 1080p. I'm wondering if I can get away with replacing my RTX 2060 with a future RTX 4060 for a few more years before replacing my whole rig with new Windows 11 system?

I'm in a similar boat with my AMD Ryzen 2600X CPU and RTX 2060 GPU playing at 1080p. I'm wondering if I can get away with replacing my RTX 2060 with a future RTX 4060 for a few more years before replacing my whole rig with new Windows 11 system?
I would start looking at the Ryzen 5 5600 just for the IPC up lift it offers and the price, I may pick one up soon if the price gets back to $149 or cheaper!

A 5800x can be had for right around $239.99.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/1152755124...eGifaGkDlywcvNQ==|tkp:Bk9SR76d0I3ZYA&LH_BIN=1

You can get right around $84 net for your current 1600af / 2600x (after you update your bios to support the new CPU). That puts the upgrade at $155.99, right around that $150 number you were looking for. If you're really bargain shopping, buying from an auction is usually cheaper and might come with a heatsink you can sell for a few extra dollars to offset the cost:
1661227452325.png

Yeah, a 5800 will help squeeze how some extra time with my current rig. I also hope to get some $$ back when I sell my RTX 2060 too, thankfully it was bought before the crypto craze.

Yeah, for $18 it was a no-brainer.

Back