Best GPU for $200, need by early September

Napoleon

[H]ard|Gawd
Hey All-

I'm shopping for a GPU for a friend of mine to be able to play Diablo 2: Resurrected upon launch date on 9/23. That said, we'd like to have his comp up and running by early September to troubleshoot.

Should I look for GPUs now or wait a month or 2 for supply/new releases to become available?
- I haven't bought in a while since I was able to snag a 3060ti at launch for a friend (but had to resell cheap due to friend backing out)

What;s in the near-term pipeline as far as GPU releases?

Thanks for the recommendations/information!

Kyle

At this point, I think you should be waiting as it seems that GPUs are becoming more available in general. More availability means lower prices.

In September, I'm betting that most gpu's will at least be closer to normal, if not normal.

I disagree.

Given that this is Diablo, I seriously doubt the graphics requirements will be insane, so I would suggest an alternative:

Pick up Retail 5600G in August, and then only buy a dGPU is you need it!

See anticipated performance here:

I agree that you should wait a few months to buy discrete graphics, but you are approaching this from the wrong angle: you can buy the APU in August, and then wait an incredible amount of time (before you find another game to play that actually needs more power)!

Last edited:
I disagree.

Given that this is Diablo, I seriously doubt the graphics requirements will be insane, so I would suggest an alternative:

Pick up Retail 5600G in August, and then only buy a dGPU is you need it!

See anticipated performance here:

I agree that you should wait a few months to buy discrete graphics, but you are approaching this from the wrong angle: you can buy the APU in August, and then wait an incredible amount of time (before you find another game to play that actually needs more power)!

It's to upgrade an existing comp that doesn't have a discrete GPU vs. a new build. I should have specified :)

I still need to check on the case space/PSU that he has, I'm assuming something around 75-120W TDP as I'm unsure what his prebuilt comp has capacity for

It's to upgrade an existing comp that doesn't have a discrete GPU vs. a new build. I should have specified :)

I still need to check on the case space/PSU that he has, I'm assuming something around 75-120W TDP as I'm unsure what his prebuilt comp has capacity for

Well, assuming the integrated graphics is from the last decade, it should be able to handle Diablo2 with some additional shader effect

tell him to try the game first, instead of acting like some Brainless Reactionary™ whose only reason for existence is to march to the beat of yet-another game release party with overestimated spec sheets :rolleyes:

the reason we have such high prices is partly blamed on idiots like him buying overkill hardware on release day, to play their refreshed game from the 1990s at 4k resolution; do us all a favor, and tell him he doesn't need to feed the scalpers machine just for a simple mostly-2d game

dual- channel his ddr4, and just tell him to drop the settings from ultra down to medium.

I mean, do you really buy that a refresh this simple could require a CPU as beefy as Intel Core i3-3250, when the original ran on a Pentium MMX?

https://www.sysrequirements.com/game/diablo-ii

I'm sure the GTX 660 is similar spec-escalation bs( so they can avoid support calls for cards over a decade old)

Last edited:
Well, assuming the integrated graphics is from the last decade, it should be able to handle Diablo2 with some additional shader effect

tell him to try the game first, instead of acting like some Brainless Reactionary™ whose only reason for existence is to march to the beat of yet-another game release party with overestimated spec sheets :rolleyes:

the reason we have such high prices is partly blamed on idiots like him buying overkill hardware on release day, to play their refreshed game from the 1990s at 4k resolution; do us all a favor, and tell him he doesn't need to feed the scalpers machine just for a simple mostly-2d game

dual- channel his ddr4, and just tell him to drop the settings from ultra down to high.

I mean, do you really buy that a refresh this simple could require a CPU as beefy as Intel Core i3-3250, when the original ran on a Pentium MMX?

https://www.sysrequirements.com/game/diablo-ii

I'm sure the GTX 660 is similar spec-escalation bs( so they can avoid support calls for cards over a decade old)

The ask was for someone that doesn't have a contemporary system and it's a great excuse to get a discrete graphics card over integrated. Have you even followed the new refreshed graphics? Yes, he could play a dumbed down version on the old sprites but that totally missed the updated graphics and feel of a new game. True we don't have benchmarks across the gamut of graphics options and the game is only in alpha, not even to multiplayer beta yet, but why settle when you can enjoy the game in all of its remastered glory? No one 'needs' to game or build high powered computers, this is a hobby.

This isn't someone who buy's each gen of cards, this is someone who hasn't built in well over 10 years looking to have some fun. Discouraging someone from building isn't very [H]

The ask was for someone that doesn't have a contemporary system and it's a great excuse to get a discrete graphics card over integrated. Have you even followed the new refreshed graphics? Yes, he could play a dumbed down version on the old sprites but that totally missed the updated graphics and feel of a new game. True we don't have benchmarks across the gamut of graphics options and the game is only in alpha, not even to multiplayer beta yet, but why settle when you can enjoy the game in all of its remastered glory? No one 'needs' to game or build high powered computers, this is a hobby.

This isn't someone who buy's each gen of cards, this is someone who hasn't built in well over 10 years looking to have some fun. Discouraging someone from building isn't very [H]

Well, then buy them a GT 1030 and call it done
https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-GeForce...GEM904YNBW8&psc=1&refRID=RW4JZVPQBGEM904YNBW8

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, then buy them a GT 1030 and call it done

For resurrected? No

So I looked for some benchies on real cards, while I didn't find much in professional website benchmarks, I did find some usage claims on alpha.

Do I think performance will get better, yes. Do I think a gt 1030 will be good enough for everything on, No.

I believe you OP is looking at 1060 / rx 580 or better for mostly max settings at 1080p. That said, it could change in multiplayer, so faster is always better.

Hopefully prices will drop and you can get something like a 1660ti/rx5600xt or faster. Mostly though, I would wait and see what the market brings.

Napoleon . You mentioned this was for an existing computer. Mind sharing the specs so we can get an idea of what will drop right in? Since you mentioned a prebuilt with a lighter power budget then the usual suspects should work. RX570, 580, GTX 1060, 1650, 1660 or there about.

Situation is improving slightly. And there should be new cards like the RX 6600, which might be a good buy later this month or next month (probably less than $300).

https://wccftech.com/powercolor-readies-amd-radeon-rx-6600-xt-rx-6600-navi-23-graphics-card-launch/

What's your basis for situation improving slightly: Scalped prices edging downward (personal research or some other sites articles)? Because by any other metric I can think if they're still a garbage fire. Bots, having defeated Best Buy's defenses, are doing instant buyouts everywhere making it impossible for humans to buy cards normally. EVGAs queues for anything but the most expensive niche cards are still moving at a uselessly slow rate. Newegg Shuffle seems to be getting worse in terms of what's offered: I haven't seen non-list price scalped 3080/Ti cards in a while; and complaints in the big forum tracker thread indicate it's still nearly impossible to actually win a card in one.

For resurrected? No

So I looked for some benchies on real cards, while I didn't find much in professional website benchmarks, I did find some usage claims on alpha.

Do I think performance will get better, yes. Do I think a gt 1030 will be good enough for everything on, No.

I believe you OP is looking at 1060 / rx 580 or better for mostly max settings at 1080p. That said, it could change in multiplayer, so faster is always better.

Hopefully prices will drop and you can get something like a 1660ti/rx5600xt or faster. Mostly though, I would wait and see what the market brings.

Not anytime soon, not unless you go shopping Ebay for used cards.

The retail prices of the rest of the lineup is still 2.5x msrp (double the OP's budge), and the flotsam on Ebay may be mistreated mining cards (which typically require new BIOS plus new thermal goop).

I don't expect the 1650 4gb cards to drop below $200 in retail before October (the higher-end cards are still hard to find, even though they've fallen to "just" 2.5x, because people like you still won't settle, drawing wide availability out further)

https://www.newegg.com/p/pl?d=gtx+1650

Either settle for a GT 1030 on launch day for around $125, or jump-up to a $250-300 GTX 1650.

Last edited:
Napoleon . You mentioned this was for an existing computer. Mind sharing the specs so we can get an idea of what will drop right in? Since you mentioned a prebuilt with a lighter power budget then the usual suspects should work. RX570, 580, GTX 1060, 1650, 1660 or there about.
Absolutely; I've asked him for this and will post as soon as I get the specs.

Thank you all for the comments/help so far!

Either settle for a GT 1030 on launch day for around $125, or jump-up to a $250-300 GTX 1650.

You might regret going cheap on a 1030... I also agree if you can jump to a 1650 (SUPER or not), I think your client will appreciate the performance improvement.

Or split the difference (price and performance) and look for deals on a 1050 Ti.
https://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1650-vs-Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti/4039vs3649

Either way, keep your eye on late-August.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Since yr friends system takes low-profile cards, 1030, 1050(Ti), and 1650 are pretty much the options. LP Radeon 560 might be something to consider if one can be had for a good price. There might be low-profile RTX 3050's someday but probably not by September and probably not for a good price.

For a $200 budget.. an rx580 used would probably be around that price by September.

Back