Best giant UHD HDR monitor like AORUS FO48U but without burn-in issues?

Trauts

n00b
I'm looking to get a monitor that's up to 55" diagonal with UHD resolution. Probably used 75% for work, 25% for games/TV, so it can't be sensitive to burn-in.

Unfortunately, while the AORUS FO48U looks great, toolbars would burn-in even on lowered brightness, from what I've read.

What would people suggest in the 42"-55" range as an alternative? Must have HDR and Freesync or Gsync support. Absolute budget limit is $2000, but sweet spot would be $1000 or less.

Asus’ ROG Strix XG43UQ looked good, but Tom's Hardware says it has overdrive issues. Everything else I've found so far is lacking in some way, or is OLED and thus subject to burn-in.

I'm willing to wait for an announced-but-unreleased model to come out, but not an unannounced model, since I'd like to buy within the next 6 months or so.

Thank you!

I've literally used the CX 48" for two years as a desktop display. ~8+ hours 5 days a week for work, personal use on top of that. Still no burn in, it works fine in my living room.

It's a good idea to hide taskbar/dock/topbar and to use dark modes where available. You get used to this and nowadays even with a smaller LCD I just keep them hidden and enjoy the extra desktop space. You don't need the taskbar 99% of the time.

There are no LCDs that are under 50" on the market that are good for a desktop display. IMO 55" is too large unless you can put it well over 1m meter away.

At this point I would wait for what they announce as CES in January.

There are no LCDs that are under 50" on the market that are good for a desktop display.
Ain't that the truth. I don't regret going 50" with the QN94A, it's a great display and going strong for all my uses.
I'd happily go down a size or two though, for the space consideration.
The problem being any LCD greater than 40" but less than 50" is a mess of flaws.

Unfortunately, while the AORUS FO48U looks great, toolbars would burn-in even on lowered brightness, from what I've read.

It has a pixel refresh cycle just like all the other OLEDs. It's fine.

Unless you plan on running the desktop at close to 100% brightness while you work. But if that's the case, no OLED will be safe

It has a pixel refresh cycle just like all the other OLEDs. It's fine.

Unless you plan on running the desktop at close to 100% brightness while you work. But if that's the case, no OLED will be safe
I've read multiple posts on the forums here about people w/ that monitor who dimmed the brightness, hid their taskbar, and had their screensaver set up... and still got burn-in.

Hands down the 50" QN90B is the best 4K HDR 144hz VRR mini LED display for large format. It does all that simultaneously like a champ. I will keep this QN90B for at least 10 years in my PC room. I'm not even kidding. 10 years is my goal. I also have a 50 QN90A in my living room and I love it, so does my wife. That will easily go 10 years also.
The 50" QN mini led tvs are absolute beasts. Highly recommend them. Give one a try you might fall in love.

Last edited:
Hands down the 50" QN90B is the best 4K HDR 144hz HDR VRR mini LED display for large format. It does all that simultaneously like a champ. I will keep this QN90B for at least 10 years in my PC room. I'm not even kidding. 10 years is my goal. I also have a 50 QN90A in my living room and I love it, so does my wife. That will easily go 10 years also.
The 50" QN mini led tvs are absolute beasts. Highly recommend them. Give one a try you might fall in love.
Don't you need DisplayPort to get FreeSync or G-Sync? I looked up that TV on Amazon and there's no mention of FreeSync.

Don't you need DisplayPort to get FreeSync or G-Sync? I looked up that TV on Amazon and there's no mention of FreeSync.
The 50" QN90B uses HDMi 2.1. It does 144hz with VRR adaptive sync from 30hz -144hz with high speed HDMI 2.1 cable with HDR 10bit color all simultaneously. The QN90B has 4 HDMi 2.1 ports. The QN90A does all the same things just like the QN90B just at 120hz and with only 1 HDMi 2.1 port. You enable G-sync in the Nvidia control panel as normal.

I'm pretty tempted by the 50" QN90B. Anyone have a dissenting opinion?

Additionally, is the 50" 120Hz or 144Hz? Reviews say 144, but Best Buy, Amazon, and NewEgg all say 120

Last edited:
I just ordered a 55" Samsung S95b, has the highest color volume of any consumer display, over 1000 nits HDR which is amazing for an oled, and can run 144 Hz.

I'm pretty tempted by the 50" QN90B. Anyone have a dissenting opinion?

Additionally, is the 50" 120Hz or 144Hz? Reviews say 144, but Best Buy, Amazon, and NewEgg all say 120
The 50" is 144hz for the QN90B. Stay away from the 43" it uses a different panel with hardware issues and is only 120hz.

I've read multiple posts on the forums here about people w/ that monitor who dimmed the brightness, hid their taskbar, and had their screensaver set up... and still got burn-in.
It has the same panel as the LG CX and C1. Not sure how it would be any more or less likely to burn in

I've got about 800 hours on my FO48U, max brightness HDR on no problems.

That's like... no hours. I'd be careful about running the desktop in HDR. That's really pushing it.

Just save HDR for movies and games

Its a lot of hours when I have 2 hours or so every other day ¯\_( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)_/¯

If it breaks, I'll turn it in to microcenter and get a new one. I bought the long ass warranty for a reason. Already replaced the original one that was constantly popping up to tell me it needed to run the panel refresh.

There are many of us here with thousands of desktop hours on our LG CX displays with no burn in. If we are already talking about expensive displays and staying under 50" is required, the 42" LG is a hell of a choice.

And yes if I was buying again right this moment I'd have no choice but to also seriously consider the Samsung QN90B 50" just for potential longevity.

The C1 and C2 LG 48" can be had from $900 to $1050. The 48" is also exactly the same price if you prefer bigger.

The Samsung QN90A or B is going to be $1200-1300. Awesome screen. Difficult choice. So you still have to balance price to life expectancy... You could get a C1 on clearance right now and replace it 25% sooner than the Samsung. Or just get the Samsung and not worry as much about HOW you use the screen.

(And yes, I bought my CX originally through Costco and they were stupidly offering a stack of warranties that total up to 7 years. Their mistake. I figure there's a pretty good chance I'll find out if it pays out during that time frame.)

Went with the 55" S95B for my new monitor. Liking it so far. (But am being careful not to leave anything static on the screen too long just in case though)

Went with the 55" S95B for my new monitor. Liking it so far. (But am being careful not to leave anything static on the screen too long just in case though)

How do you like the HDR on it? It's insane on mine. What firmware version is yours?

43inch QN90B as a desktop monitor with firmware 1420 is bomb. No issues at all. Has 144hertz screen and 0 text issues. Plays games like a dream. Enjoy your purchase!

43inch QN90B as a desktop monitor with firmware 1420 is bomb. No issues at all. Has 144hertz screen and 0 text issues. Plays games like a dream. Enjoy your purchase!
Screenshot_20221214-172734.png

Take a photo with your smartphone focused on the brown fox sample image (you need to download this image on your own native resolution sample image not an a screenshot of it DL the actual file) at 100 scaling in windows and your browser. Focus on the top half portion of your screen. This is what I was talking about. All 43s have this hardware defect. This is why I recommend the 50" because the 50 uses a different panel. This is the guy on Amazon that found the issue on the 43s. He has a like 70+ upvotes so everyone agrees. Try to prove him wrong? The only size in question is the 43" not the 50".

This should be flawless. At 100 size scaling in windows and in browser. Top half of screen is in question. 50" is perfect, all 43s no matter which make brand or model are defective.
chroma-444.png

On my panel it is Flawless on the top half of the screen and the bottom half. I'm not sure what is broken exactly but it doesn't look look like it's messed up on my panel at all. The picture on my end is displaying perfectly as soon as I get my video card back I'll take a picture with my cell phone as proof. And again I'm not an insufferable pixel peeping perfectionist. I think people who have problems with this are going out of their way to find problems. 99% of the people won't notice any of this stuff but there are people that are picky to the nth degree. I'm glad I'm not one of them neither are my eyes. But I will post my picture in the next week to prove my point. My video card is being replaced so my windows is down right now. Also I run my panel at 125 scaling and I also have run BGR clear type text tuner on my panel which mitigates the problem even further. I'm telling you man I don't have his problem because I don't run it at his settings, 100dpi and I've also configured my panel with a clear type tuner for bgr. But I'll show you my pictures regardless. At my desk I can't purchase the 50-in panel because it would be ridiculously oversized I'm sticking with my 43-in panel because I notice zero problems. I'm also running firmware 1420 that came out 5 days ago.

Last edited:
And again I'm not an insufferable pixel peeping perfectionist. I think people who have problems with this are going out of their way to find problems. 99% of the people won't notice any of this stuff but there are people that are picky to the nth degree. I'm glad I'm not one of them neither are my eyes.
The FV43U suffers this issue, I went through trying to figure out what it was, who else had it, whether there's a fix, etc.

It's horribly annoying. Headache inducing. I can't stand it. Being called and overly picky perfectionist for noticing a blatant flaw is also annoying. That review of the 43" QN90B talks about exactly the issue I had. They are legit all the same.

The FV43U suffers this issue, I went through trying to figure out what it was, who else had it, whether there's a fix, etc.

It's horribly annoying. Headache inducing. I can't stand it. Being called and overly picky perfectionist for noticing a blatant flaw is also annoying. That review of the 43" QN90B talks about exactly the issue I had. They are legit all the same.
There are plenty of other people including me that don't notice this issue and have no problem. I'm very sorry you have eyes that pick up on this. It's a blatant flaw for you and others but not everyone. Like I said there are plenty of reviews that people are enjoying this TV as a PC monitor. Not everyone who owns this panel is getting headaches from text clarity issues. I run my panel at 125 DPI and ran the BGR clear type tuner and I have no issues on mine. My panel is working fine and I noticed no issues whatsoever. I get no headaches and everything is clear as day. I will post my chroma 444 picture in a few. It shows no text clarity issues at all.

It's a blatant flaw for you and others but not everyone.
Well, it's simply a flaw as it's on every single sample. One that should never have made it into mass production. Whether you can see it or not isn't really relevant, it's inherent to all current generation 43" LCD panels. AUO panels if I remember right.

Best FAlD Mini-LED VA LCDs of this year are QN95B and QN900B. I’d go for QN90B for typical desktop monitor usages (just for its size).

Be careful guys I hate to bring it up be be very aware of potential oled burn issues https://www.roninfinitech.com/post/samsung-s95b-qd-oled-substantial-burn-in-3-months
This is why I prefer the mini led options.

Dude, watch the video of the guy. A major user error is my bet. Though he was using SDR he had the brightness (assuming this is the overall luminance slider) at 90% strength which produces very bright image, even dark shades are elevated up. And through the video he had the screen on all the time in the background, no screensavers or anything. If this is how he treats his OLEDs then no wonder he is getting burn in.

Hello.

I have an LG CX OLED screen I've used as a monitor for work/gaming for 2.5 years. It currently has just under 14 thousand hours on the clock.

Zero. Burn-in.

Burn-in happens if you run the display at max brightness w/ static images 24hr/day. Otherwise, the chances are very, very low. This panel is now 2 generations old, and it has been flawless.

You remember that Rtings video that showed OLED burn-in from watching CNN 20 hours a day at max brightness? That was a C8. That was abusing the TV. Linus also showed his OLED having burn-in, but he also admitted to running the display at near max brightness constantly. Trust me when I say this... if you're in a normal room with some light but not blindingly bright, an LG OLED C9/CX/C1/C2 will be blindingly bright at normal viewing distances if you turn the brightness all the way up. Mine stays at 0 most of the time. During the day, I turn it up to 30 (out of 100), but when I get back to night, 30 hurts my eyes, so I set it back to 0.

TL;DR Burn-in is not an issue for the current crop of OLED monitors. It will not happen if you do not abuse the display.

Last edited:
Hello.

I have an LG CX OLED screen I've used as a monitor for work/gaming for 2.5 years. It currently has just under 14 thousand hours on the clock.

Zero. Burn-in.

Burn-in happens if you run the display at max brightness w/ static images 24hr/day. Otherwise, the chances are very, very low. This panel is now 2 generations old, and it has been flawless.

You remember that Rtings video that showed OLED burn-in from watching CNN 20 hours a day at max brightness? That was a C8. That was abusing the TV. Linus also showed his OLED having burn-in, but he also admitted to running the display at near max brightness constantly. Trust me when I say this... if you're in a normal room with some light but not blindingly bright, an LG OLED C9/CX/C1/C2 will be blindingly bright at normal viewing distances if you turn the brightness all the way up. Mine stays at 0 most of the time. During the day, I turn it up to 30 (out of 100), but when I get back to night, 30 hurts my eyes, so I set it back to 0.

TL;DR Burn-in is not an issue for the current crop of OLED monitors. It will not happen if you do not abuse the display.
I don't doubt what you're saying at all; However if say I have a stocks ticker, static images (excel, word documents, pdf documents) on 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for years; How long you think burn in would take to set in? I use my monitor for work as well as personal use.

I don't doubt what you're saying at all; However if say I have a stocks ticker, static images (excel, word documents, pdf documents) on 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for years; How long you think burn in would take to set in? I use my monitor for work as well as personal use.
I am a Database Administrator that uses SSMS full screen daily.

I just bought a new LG C2 48 and I now see that this display is the new hotness. What am I missing out on?

Edit: I am talking about the S95B

Last edited:
Hello.

Zero. Burn-in.

When you say "abuse" it's very misleading to a lot of people. What you are saying is don't normally use it as the general population would normally use it, for mixed content in mixed lighting conditions. This is not abuse, this is using your tv or monitor freely without any restrictions. I would never want to have these restrictions on my displays. Even my wife hates dim displays and especially hates being in a dark cave light environment just to enjoy content. Most people are not hermetically sealing in their basement or room with blinds and dim ambient light. This is depressing. Most people enjoy daylight during the day and dim at in the evening. I don't want to be forced to have it dimmer at all times. That's rediculous. The thought of all the restrictions and hoops I would need to jump through for not enough of a noticable difference vs mini led is absurd to me. The way oleds are meant to be used are abnormal. It can't be shoved down my throat as abuse etc, that's never going to sit well with most people. Also there is the a lot of people that just chase the hype and buy it only to face the restrictions or face burn in. No way. It's not ready for prime time. If I can use it like my mini led I'm in. Until then no way lol.

Last edited:
For sure get a Samsung QLED TV.
I'm using an over 4 year old Q9FN display with 2000nit HDR (was the flagship at the time) and I still love it.
No burn in at all and it looks fantastic!
Modern versions can do 120Hz+ at UHD res, mine does 120Hz at 1440p.

Back