Best genesis/snes RPG

rcf1987

2[H]4U
I am searching for what the title says so far am have played Chrono Trigger and it is excellent what are your favorites.

Tales of (Destiny?) you need to get the translated rom, though...
Try Mario RPG as well, a lot of fun.

I personally loved Final Fantasy 3 or Shadowrun(SNES edition). And while I just looked it up again, looks like there might be another Shadowrun game for the Xbox 360!!!!

steviep said:
Tales of (Destiny?) you need to get the translated rom, though...
Try Mario RPG as well, a lot of fun.

Mario RPG is way too short/easy if you already cut your teeth on the FFseries...

Secret of Mana (Godly when you have 3 players)
Seiken Densetsu 3
Secret of Evermore
Mario RPG
Breath of Fire 1-2
Shadow Run
Harvest Moon
Dragon Quest
Legend of Giaa
Lufia 2
7th Saga
7th Saga 2
Terrinigma
Tactics Ogre (rare)
Legend of Zelda
FF3 (FF6)
FF ( 5 )
FF2 (FF4)
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia

Sega

Shining force

My faves from the era:

Chrono Trigger (no contest, it's the best)
Final Fantasy 3
Tales of Phantasia
Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3 (sequal of Secret of Mana, Japan-only)
Earthbound
Shadowrun

Mario RPG is very fun.

I don't think I really have a favorite, but Chrono Trigger was excellent (better than the FF series IMHO).

Also take a look at Secret of Mana (and Secret of Evermore if you wish, but most people think that Mana is a little better). There is also a Japanese Secret of Mana 2.

SoM and Terranigma are excellent Action-RPGs (Zelda style real-time action).

As for Genesis, Shining Force 2 is pretty good if you like Ogre Battle/Advance Wars type RPGs.

Easy or not easy, Mario RPG was a fantastic little game.
I forgot link to the past... but that's more of an action-RPG.

Tales of Phantasia... that was the correct title, thanks!
And I forgot about Earthbound... don't miss out on that one!

The mana series was great, too, but I liked the Chrono series better.

Movieesa said:
I personally loved Final Fantasy 3 or Shadowrun(SNES edition). And while I just looked it up again, looks like there might be another Shadowrun game for the Xbox 360!!!!

Any more info on this? That would be awesome!

Which reminds me, I gotta finish Shadowrun since I haven't played it for a few years :). It was/is an awesome game. Probably the best future/tech RPG of it's type (that and Deus Ex for the PC are the only two that are very good futuristic action-RPGs)

We gotta start a "top 16-bit games that should get a sequal/remake" thread.

I was going to come in here and tell you folks ff3 ( ff6 for some of you freaks ) was the end all be all, but then someone mentioned chronos trigger.

And I sat here confused, snes9x loaded up and waiting for me to tell it which game to load.

if youre going to play the phantasy star series, skip 3. i got 3 of the 4 different children meaning that i beat the game 3 times... i was young... i was stupid... dont make the same mistake i did.

mmmmm mentioning phantasy star brings back good memories of the dreamcast.
<3 <3 PSO.

steviep said:
Easy or not easy, Mario RPG was a fantastic little game.
I forgot link to the past... but that's more of an action-RPG.

Tales of Phantasia... that was the correct title, thanks!
And I forgot about Earthbound... don't miss out on that one!

The mana series was great, too, but I liked the Chrono series better.

Well I say it's easy and too-short b/c it is! I really wish Squaresoft was more serious and made it a longer, more "fulfilling" game. It's more of a snack, if you will =D.

oh and Lunar for Sega CD.

But then i just found out the thread is for genesis/snes.

BillLeeLee said:
My faves from the era:

Chrono Trigger (no contest, it's the best)
Final Fantasy 3
Tales of Phantasia
Secret of Mana
Seiken Densetsu 3 (sequal of Secret of Mana, Japan-only)
Earthbound
Shadowrun

I like CT, but I wish they didn't design the New Game Plus system to be part of the design. In one aspect, it lets you explore other aspects of the game, but it also makes rehashing alot of the first levels a joke. I mean, in FF you get to level 90's without the new game plus...but in CT it's not exactly plausible to hit 90's (or **) in your first run.

FF2 was the groundbreaker imo.

Also, the breath of fire series was awesome. And lets not forget the Lufia series. Also awesome.

I think I'm the only one who never got into earthbound or mario rpg. I just couldn't like them -- and I still hear people always saying they are among the best. One of these days I'll try again.

Chronotrigger
FFIII
secret of mana
Zelda:link to the past
Breath of fire 1&2
Those are your big 6 and I doubt anyone would say an unkind word about them...well maybe of breath of fire(some people just didnt like it).

Not really huge news for the Shadowrun, just something I saw in Gamefaq.com And its a working title FPS. I totally agree with it and Deus Ex baby, good call

Chrono Trigger
FF2(e)
FF3(e)
and FF5 (translated of course)
Secret of mana
The lufia games were good.
but i think i like to stick with Legend of Zelda:LTTP

rcf1987 said:
I am searching for what the title says so far am have played Chrono Trigger and it is excellent what are your favorites.

That's mine. Chrono Trigger is my absolute favorite game ever.

This is an excellent SNES list. I second most of them (haven't played a couple of them.) As far as the Genesis goes, the Phantasy Star series is among the best.

Isaacav2 said:
Secret of Mana (Godly when you have 3 players)
Seiken Densetsu 3
Secret of Evermore
Mario RPG
Breath of Fire 1-2
Shadow Run
Harvest Moon
Dragon Quest
Legend of Giaa
Lufia 2
7th Saga
7th Saga 2
Terrinigma
Tactics Ogre (rare)
Legend of Zelda
FF3 (FF6)
FF ( 5 )
FF2 (FF4)
Star Ocean
Tales of Phantasia

Sega

Shining force

Hmm, in regards to semi-obscure SNES RPGs, someone has already mentioned Tales of Phantasia, but I haven't seen Treasure of the Rudras mentioned.

It's kinda generic in most regards, except that you create your own spells, to an extent. A gimmick more than anything else, but still fun. Anything you type, ranging from 2 letters to like 12 or so, is possibly a spell. So, "Idiot" would do.. something. I dunno what. "Ig" is yoru basic fire spell, etc.

Shining the the Darkness wasn't bad for Genesis, but there was also a decent sequal called.. um... Shining Force 2? I can't recall.. argh. Just look for Shining and it'll pop up.

have to agree with everyone else

Chrono Trigger... THE RPG game to have ;)

Secret of Mana hands down my favorite. Especially if you can get 2 other people to play the entire game with you.

Final Fantasy III.

Seriously, is there any person here who hasn't played it? I think the number of instances in this small thread should clue you in...

Chrono Trigger, FF2, Secret of Mana, Zelda A Link to the Past were all up there too...

I know we aren't supposed to link auction sites...but if you go search for SNES rpg's you'll find a one that is selling an SNES with like 16 rpg's....I almost bid just for the memories of it all.....

shining force 2... by far the rpg that has kept my attention after years :) like someone mentioned if you are going for action/rpg go for zelda: link to the past

Breath of Fire II
I don't know why, but I keep going back and playing this game al the way through (onto my fifth time now.)

Back