Best Gaming Mouse Pad

I don't understand the need for large mousepads. I dont move my mouse more than 2" in any direction ever.

you sacrifice a lot of precision, especially in FPS games, with this kind of mouse sensitivity. back when i was regularly playing quake 3 it was recommended that you set your mouse to have about 6 inches of mouse movement in either direction for a 360 degree spin, so a 12'' wide mousepad would be the bare minimum. i know that some counterstrike players took it to even greater extremes, with mousepads that were 2 or 3 ft wide.

you sacrifice a lot of precision, especially in FPS games, with this kind of mouse sensitivity. back when i was regularly playing quake 3 it was recommended that you set your mouse to have about 6 inches of mouse movement in either direction for a 360 degree spin, so a 12'' wide mousepad would be the bare minimum. i know that some counterstrike players took it to even greater extremes, with mousepads that were 2 or 3 ft wide.

I have no problems in FPS at all. I prefer the added speed and my physical response time when I'm claw gripping the mouse.

I have no problems in FPS at all. I prefer the added speed and my physical response time when I'm claw gripping the mouse.

It really depends on the player. Top players in FPS and RTS do generally prefer large cloth mousepads for improved accuracy. I was a plastic guy for a very long time (func for ages, than SteelSeries 4HD) but made the switch over to cloth pads (Steelseries QcK) earlier this year. Took a little adjustment since I wasn't flying everywhere so much and I had to work more, but the tradeoff has been much greater accuracy and control.

Now if only I'd done this in my FPS heyday ten years ago when I was playing Q3 constantly and had insane railgun accuracy. :)

Razer Vespula Dual-Sided Gaming Mouse Mat

Great for playing on one side and drawing on the other side I bought cause i use photoshop and other designer tools and it feels great !!

Last edited:
AllSop Redmond.
http://www.google.com/products/cata...og_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CEkQ8wIwAQ#

People don't like this pad because the chrome plating wears off in the wrist area. I spin mine around the other way and sit it on top of one of those cheap jell pads. I use the thick jell support for my wrist.

One of the best mouse surfaces around.

I turn mine 90 deg and have a gel pad for my wrist too. My hand gets a bit sore if I don't use the gel pad so is a must have for me.

Most top gamers I know use cloth for a mouse pad...

The reason why?
Well it feels more much more natural compared to the other pads out there... Cloth should be anyone's choice hands down.

I'm currently using a Puretrak talent which is very popular, however I'm not a fan of the feel so much, I think I'd prefer something closer to the Steelseries QCK which I think is a bit rougher and closer to that regular cloth feel. My favorite pad (which I left behind on vacation) was the Fry's or ACI Supermat which seems very similar to the QCK.

I haven't tried a metal pad before, but I really don't think it would be all that enjoyable of an experience.

I have used a good quality plastic mouse pad (Ozone Exposure) which worked great. But the glide, feel against my wrist, and the combination of the sharp edges just make me dislike the feel of plastic.

The Icemat (glass) would be the only hard pad I would want to use since that has a more pleasant feel and better glide compared to any other hard pad I've tried, however, it doesn't come close to the feel of a cloth pad.

I've owned:

Puretrak Talent
Fry's Supermat
Razer Goliathus Speed
Mionix Alioth
Ozone Exposure
Steelseries Icemat v2

Agree and the truth. I see kids pubbing in all kinds of FPS and their sensitivity's are so fucking high it almost makes me sick and they wonder why they miss shits or lost control. I mean if you're used to it you're going to be okay but you're really negating yourself of control and precision when using a sensitivity that high and even with a low sense you can move just as fast, you just have to move your arm faster. Unless you're using a laser mouse :p

I have a PureTrak talent, it's 19 inches wide and all the way across my pad does less than a 360 turn, it's about 270.

I'm currently using a steelseries Qck pad and I'm a fan. Picked one up because two of my friends were using them and recommended it. Very inexpensive and very large, smooth gliding surface.

I used to use a Ratpadz GS and I really liked it, lasted for about three years before it needed to be replaced.

For fast paced FPS (Q3, UT2k4 etc) I use a lower sensitivity and move the mouse more.

For everything else I play (CS 1.6, BF Games etc) I use a 6.0-ish (Outta 10) sensitivity and claw grip the mouse. I have no troubles in these games with my style at all, I used to play every minute I had out of school playing Counterstrike haha

So...if one was wanting a nice thick cloth pad, would he/she go for the Puretrak Talent or the Steelseries Qck Mass or Heavy? The Puretrack is huge and I'm not a low sens gamer, but if it offers superior tracking over the SS pads I'd have to give it some consideration.

QcK isn't a thick pad. Goliathus Control (not Speed) is probably the best cloth pad right now. Zowie also makes good ones.

QcK isn't a thick pad. Goliathus Control (not Speed) is probably the best cloth pad right now. Zowie also makes good ones.

Look again, the QcK Mass and Heavy are 6mm thick; roughly the same thickness as the Puretrak Talent.

I'll check into the Goliathus, thanks. So many pads to choose from, it's insane and it's hard to gather any hard data from reviews because everyone uses different mice and/or recommends each pad regardless.

So...if one was wanting a nice thick cloth pad, would he/she go for the Puretrak Talent or the Steelseries Qck Mass or Heavy? The Puretrack is huge and I'm not a low sens gamer, but if it offers superior tracking over the SS pads I'd have to give it some consideration.

I think as long as they're good quality cloth both will work well. I wouldn't hesitate to try either of them, so get the one you're most interested in. I don't think the pattern will offer any advantages due to my experience with an Xtrac Pro-HS and here's why.

I had a couple logitech mice that didn't like the sudden change from white to black hexagon shapes on the xtrac, the optical engine would get confused and "jitter" when it was looking at the edge of one of those black/white hex cells, it was so bad it made it hard to play games because the cursor would swing like half an inch on screen sometimes.

The pro-hs was basically a printed pattern on cardboard with a very fine textured clear plastic laminate on top. I have a feeling you won't see this issue on a cloth pad due to the less reflective/rough texture and those logitechs (dual optical and one so old I forget the name of) had less than awesome tracking anyways.

I think as long as they're good quality cloth both will work well. I wouldn't hesitate to try either of them, so get the one you're most interested in. I don't think the pattern will offer any advantages due to my experience with an Xtrac Pro-HS and here's why.

I had a couple logitech mice that didn't like the sudden change from white to black hexagon shapes on the xtrac, the optical engine would get confused and "jitter" when it was looking at the edge of one of those black/white hex cells, it was so bad it made it hard to play games because the cursor would swing like half an inch on screen sometimes.

The pro-hs was basically a printed pattern on cardboard with a very fine textured clear plastic laminate on top. I have a feeling you won't see this issue on a cloth pad due to the less reflective/rough texture and those logitechs (dual optical and one so old I forget the name of) had less than awesome tracking anyways.

Thanks. You mentioned your Logitech mice not liking the change from white to black hexagon shapes, and I've read other people claim that some laser mice do not like black cloth pads (which the QcK pads are). I think some people have had good results with white pads, but a white cloth pad would show dirt and grime very quickly so that's out. I'd consider a white glass pad like an Icemat, but I prefer soft pads (plus I've read numerous accounts of having to wipe glass pads down all the time because tiny particles feel like boulders under the mouse feet).

Sigh, what to do...I might just wait until I put my Ikea Galant together and see how my mice track on the bare surface.

The cheapo allsop soft cloth mousepads at walmart work, they come in all sorts of patterns too and the coffee stains wash right out of them with a bit of cool water and hand soap. Not "gaming pads" but they get the job done, and feel a hell of a lot better than a desk. Aught to get the job done until you can find a pad you really like. My G5 tracks perfectly on it (of course, I haven't found much it won't track on), and the balance of smoothness and control is good.

I used the Heavy for like 3 years and I loved it. I've been using a Talent for the past 6-8 Months and it's better in every way. The surface is smoother, it's of higher quality, the color provides better tracking with a lot of mice and it's a larger pad which is a plus for a low senser like me. I would go with the Talent.

I've also got a Goliathus here at work, and I actually prefer it's surface to the QCK Heavy as well but I like the thickness of the heavy and the talent.

Talent FTW~

I usually play FPS's with a relatively low (compared to other people I've seen) sensitivity. The Razer Exactmat has treated me pretty well, and is big enough that my mouse doesn't start to go off the edges. I can see the areas my mouse usually travels in starting to wear down a little after about a year. Not too shabby.

I've been gaming since the dawn of PC gaming and my current mousepad the Razer Destructor refuses to die. I like to upgrade my PC components every year or more but the Destructor won't give me a reason to replace it! It's been through at least 4 gaming mice. :D The Destructor has hands down been the best gaming mouse pad I've ever bought. I've been through most popular brands including the fUnc with fails compared to the Destructor.

Last edited:
I used the Heavy for like 3 years and I loved it. I've been using a Talent for the past 6-8 Months and it's better in every way. The surface is smoother, it's of higher quality, the color provides better tracking with a lot of mice and it's a larger pad which is a plus for a low senser like me. I would go with the Talent.

I've also got a Goliathus here at work, and I actually prefer it's surface to the QCK Heavy as well but I like the thickness of the heavy and the talent.

Talent FTW~

Thanks mang. The only thing putting me off from the Talent is its size, meaning with my current desk setup I don't have room for a large pad. I think after I get my Galant put together, I'll pick one up (or possibly a Goliathus). Which surface do you prefer between those two? Guess I'll rule the QcK pads out for now.

Talent FTW~

I love my QCK+. I may have to give the Talent a shot at some point in the future. It looks like a solid pad.

Last edited:
I still like using a cloth pad with a grippy bottom over plastic pads..

My curiousity was peaked for the Puretrak Talent so I went to place an order. When I click calculate shipping I get a shipping calculation error with an error code. Can someone else try and see if shipping computes for them please. Don't worry, you don't have to log in or anything. It's pretty straight forward and quick. ty

http://www.puretrak.com/products

Works for me.

Seems like a great pad but $31.50 seems a little steep for a mouse pad. Thats more than two QCK+ pads would cost me.

Works for me.

Seems like a great pad but $31.50 seems a little steep for a mouse pad. Thats more than two QCK+ pads would cost me.

Very weird. Must not like my city/zip for some odd reason. I left a message. I'll see what they say.

Money is no object if your head shots are improved. ;)

thanks for checking

i have a func 1030 archtype mba mouse pad and its pretty awesome.

Agree and the truth. I see kids pubbing in all kinds of FPS and their sensitivity's are so fucking high it almost makes me sick and they wonder why they miss shits or lost control. I mean if you're used to it you're going to be okay but you're really negating yourself of control and precision when using a sensitivity that high and even with a low sense you can move just as fast, you just have to move your arm faster. Unless you're using a laser mouse :p

I have a PureTrak talent, it's 19 inches wide and all the way across my pad does less than a 360 turn, it's about 270.

A low sensitivity isn't really the answer to everything. I can understand people who can't handle the high sensitivity, but you cannot really play most games with such a low sensitivity that you are using...

What people should go for it a sensitivity they can control with ease and be able to do a quick 180* degree turn perfectly...

This will differ from person to person, but with a sensitivity as low as what you use would not suit a game like Quake where you have to quickly adjust to shooting people in the air, below you, behind you, whatever the case. Where as in a game like CS you just have to get your crosshair as close to the wall as you can and shoot slower moving targets, in that case you may benefit from a lower sensitivity more...

Just picked up one of the Steelseries Qck's. Not the big boy just the 12". Just going to start using it today. It's still has some bumps in it but I can't really feel them.

Icemat for sure. You do have to wipe them down with a scrubbing pad once in a while to remove build up though. Sure beats replacing it every year or so though (this thing will probably outlast me).

Back