Best Gaming LCD 19" under 350$? or 19crt?

Im sure you guys see alot of this stuff, and I always get good hardware opinions here, so hopefully im not too anoying.

Its time to ditch my 17crt, though i love high resolutions.

For the longest time i was going to go with a Samsung SyncMaster C997DF 19".

My budget is prolly tops around 350$, might be able to squeeze a bit more.

So my question is, if the 997DF is around 220$, and the best I can afford LCD wise is around 350$, do I go the LCD route, skip on the high resolution, to get low power consumption, and space saving?

If so, which LCD should i get in this range. I game, of course, and want 12-8ms or less. Ive been looking at the Viewsonic ve910b

(is the ve910b better then the VA902b? They seem identical specs wise except the 902 is a 270 cd/m2 vs 250 for the 910)

Opinions? Thoughts?

Thanks for the help folks

Is mouse movement in games like CS/CSS and BF2 on the LD90+ lag free? As in, does it react well to very quick mouse movements or can you feel the latency?

i been playing bf2 on l90d + with dvi and i do not notice any lag from the monitor and unreal looked awesome as well. thats the reason i havent even looked into other lcd's for months, until the next big thing, because it works.

and i have seen slightly slower panels and definately noticed the ghosting.

Another question, while i may know a bit aboutf hardware, I know little about LCD,s

If LCDs have a native res, like the Hyundai does, 1280x1024, can you still play at 1600x1200 in game, like cs:s, or half life 2, etc? Or wont it support it, or will it look shitty?

Every LCD has a native resolution and you can only play games at a resolution smaller than the native. Not beyond.

will they look just as good at lower resolutions? as I usually play cs in 800x600 for CAL.

got a good offer for 310$ shipped on a brand new Dell 2001fp too, thats tempting.

As I don't have any handon experience with Viewsonic LCDs, I cannot provide you the answer. You might need to google for some product review from various sites to have a better understanding about the interpolation of that LCD.

yet you seems to have a 6800. I think it can enables you to play CS at native solution even for a Dell 2001.

Schmiggy_JK23 said:
will they look just as good at lower resolutions? as I usually play cs in 800x600 for CAL.

got a good offer for 310$ shipped on a brand new Dell 2001fp too, thats tempting.

with the common prospect of severe bleeding not to mention the lower refresh on the Dell, and im not sure about the 2001 but the 2005 has some noticable screen door as well, i'd just assume spend the extra 40 for the L90. Native res = maximum res. There is no lag.

Thanks for all the replies guys.

As of right now im leaning towards the ld90, though im going shopping the next couple days, to see the ld90, the dell, etc in action, in person. But as of right now, ill be ordering something by the end of the week

Slider19 said:
I would highly suggest you take a look at the FP-988D as well as the L90D+.

the fp-988D is only like 238$ right now after rebates on newegg, so thats tempting

and the ld90D lost its 16$ discount, back up to 345$

One more question.

Most of these monitors prolly dont support hdcp via hdmi or anything do they? So they might not be very HD era ready, say when winvista comes out, and hdcp compatible monitors are mandatory for HD content?

Acaid said:
In my experience, CRTs are much better for gaming.

LCDs blur.

d1ef1f27e210630f01d1baf84334a1.jpg

Well, this monitor will last me for a bit, till thin crts, or oleds start getting cranked out.

I believe ill be ordering the L90D from tiger direct, as there are numerous posts of being able to return 1 pixel dead screens, ( a big worry of a newbie to lcds), where as newegg requires 8 or more pixels dead.

IceWind said:

Your going to be lucky if you don't get banned for posting stuff like that. More that i think about it i know someone who did get banned for posting that same image.

Acaid said:
In my experience, CRTs are much better for gaming.

LCDs blur.

You are right but no one likes the size of CRTS anymore. But i sure as hell like my duel 17" CRTS. :D

altec said:
Your going to be lucky if you don't get banned for posting stuff like that. More that i think about it i know someone who did get banned for posting that same image.

well he is somewhat right. i have both CRT and dell 1704FPT and i am amazed at the quality and the iq of the lcd.

CRTs are still the king of gaming- anyone who argues that is being dishonest or they are ignorant.

There are plenty of debates on what is the better monitor overall- but it comes down to a lot of people finding LCDs 'good enough' for gaming and having advantages elsewhere.

mathesar said:
CRTs are still the king of gaming- anyone who argues that is being dishonest or they are ignorant.

There are plenty of debates on what is the better monitor overall- but it comes down to a lot of people finding LCDs 'good enough' for gaming and having advantages elsewhere.
I agree, but I'm sure once you get used to LCD's, you don't really miss some of the CRT's advantages, since they are not that huge.

But it also depends on what CRT and LCD. My CRT actually had far worse black levels than my LCD! I know you had the opposite experience but you also have a quality CRT to compare with.

Hyundai LD90+ ($345, Egghead) is feature-rich and works great for me.

I run online racing sims, and I see no motion blur whatsoever.

-Larry

Actually, I prefer the 1280X1024 resolution, but then again I have 46 Y/O eyes.

My only gripe with my L90D+ is the @#$%@#$% adjustment buttons.

Otherwise it's all good.

-Larry

Shifra said:
seconded, one gripe from me though, i wish it supported 1600x1200.

This thing is pretty big. Other option i would suggest if you absolutly need higher resoltions would be a refurb NEC Multisync such as:

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD_ID=1045549&cid=25608&fp=F

The LD90+ is nice though for a gaming LCD. Just lacks the higher resolutions.

Totally lag free for me.

-Larry

·PitBuLL· said:
Is mouse movement in games like CS/CSS and BF2 on the LD90+ lag free? As in, does it react well to very quick mouse movements or can you feel the latency?

I ordered the L90D+ today to replace my 17" LCD. I haven't seen what a 19" looks like in the 1280 resolution, but I do know that the 1280 resolution on my 17" makes everything too small. I would bet that 1280 is perfect for a 19" monitor. There is no way I would ever run a 1600 resolution on my monitor. Poor framerates, and it would give me more headaches than I already have too much of.

TechLarry said:
Actually, I prefer the 1280X1024 resolution, but then again I have 46 Y/O eyes.

My only gripe with my L90D+ is the @#$%@#$% adjustment buttons.

Otherwise it's all good.

-Larry

Hey IceWind, or anyone else. Do you have a link to that pic without the STFU NOOB on it ?

before everyone jumps on the backs of others... do stop to think about why one chooses a certain type over another...

im looking for a great LCD as well. and for gaming. but i can't use a CRT. one, they are way too big and heavy for the portability I'd like to have. But the deciding factor: a big CRT wont fit on the desk I will be using. And with going away to college, LCD's help maximize desk space in an already small dorm room.
so, because of size factors, I require an LCD.
but it needs to be as great as I can afford, which sadly is $300 or less.

Back