Best Gaming laptop for under $1,400

Kurst

n00b
Hello,

I'm personally a happy EMachines M6809 owner.

But - A good friend of mine is getting a small chunk of money for X-MAS and wants to get a laptop to do general web surfing and more importantly play MMORPG games (World Of Warcraft and EQ2) and other high intensity games. He wants it to be portable so when he goes to friends houses he doesn't want to carry a tower and monitor with him.

He personally wants to spend less than 1,400 on the laptop. Less is better. Will consider refurbs but prefer new.

But he wants to be good at playing games, burn cds, and all that other fun stuff you do with computers.

It would also be NICE to be able to burn dvds and have decent battery life but not really be in the required field. Also would be nice if it is Athlon 64. Again these are not required.

The current top choice is the Gateway® 7405GX but I told him to hold off as I ask around.
So here is the question – based on those meager requirements what are the choices that the readers of the [H]ardocp Forum would recommend?

http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=NB-BA20074&Bag=yy

The compal cl56 is great, I have one and love it. I would suggest getting the 60gb 5400rpm hd, 1gb of ram, and 1.8ghz cpu though. That will make it right around $1400.

You suggest athlon 64, but if he wants mobility and battery life,the pentium-m is leaps and bounds above anything amd has. Not to mention it is very fast. You can get over 4hrs of battery life out of this thing, which is great at school.

Try a Gateway M505XL with the Radeon 9600 Card. Its a centrino setup and scores 25k in aquamark 3. For being portable and running 4 hrs you can not go wrong. Also it has a widescreen, dvd/cdrw. AV Center and I think refurb from Gateway they are around 1000. As a m6805 owner myself (3 times actually) I would say either of those systems.

i've got an athlon64 2800+ with a 128mb M11 (Radeon 9700) mobility card, 512mb of ram, 40gb hd, and xp home ready to go in a few days.

cost would be around 1450.00 with 1 year warranty...based on Asus barebones.

cheers,

dave

Asus has an A64 barebones? I didn't know that...thought both barebones were centrinos. Or maybe I only looks at the centrinos...

GLSauron said:
Asus has an A64 barebones? I didn't know that...thought both barebones were centrinos. Or maybe I only looks at the centrinos...

yeah, it's kinda weird...i buy from a reseller-only company that sources clevo, quanta, asus, etc. this barebones was an Asus design with an athlon64...15 sec boot time (from turn on) and about 20 sec turn off time. good wireless range, etc.

i believe it's a via chipset, but i can't be sure.

great laptop though....

dave

if you are happy with your lappie then suggest the 7405 Gateway with the 3200+ Athlon 64 I own the m6811 and play WOW all the time with all the settings maxed and it runs smooth as hell. Only time i see some lag is when i first land in one of the towns and the server has to load up all the settings and people there in the town.

CyberCRAP said:
http://www.mwave.com/mwave/viewspec.hmx?scriteria=NB-BA20074&Bag=yy

The compal cl56 is great, I have one and love it. I would suggest getting the 60gb 5400rpm hd, 1gb of ram, and 1.8ghz cpu though. That will make it right around $1400.

You suggest athlon 64, but if he wants mobility and battery life,the pentium-m is leaps and bounds above anything amd has. Not to mention it is very fast. You can get over 4hrs of battery life out of this thing, which is great at school.

not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but does that lappy come with any warranty?

joblo37pam said:
not trying to hijack the thread or anything, but does that lappy come with any warranty?

Your right, doesn't say anywhere on there. I have that same laptop from another site and it came with a 1 year warranty. I assume that is the standard warranty, but you would have to email mwave and ask.

there's a standard one year warranty on mine (with actual tech support in the USA) with an optional upgrade to 3 year support.

dave

dave_graham said:
there's a standard one year warranty on mine (with actual tech support in the USA) with an optional upgrade to 3 year support.

dave

where did you get yours from?

Back