Best Gaming Headset thread. What are your recommendations?

davidm71

[H]ard|Gawd
Hi,

I've never been into headset but lately the outside noise ruining the gaming experience and was wondering whats a good gaming headset you would recommend? I'm considering either the logitech g930 thats on sale for $99 at bestbuy or the Astro A40 for $149.

Thanks.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I picked up the Logitech g930 over the weekend and here are my impressions. The simulated 7.1 is excellent but the audio vibrance and fidelity is just ok. Feels very immersive. The usb sound card transmiter limits you to just one input ie you can't use your own sound card. Also feels bulky. Might keep it or just return it. not sure.

I feel that gaming 'headsets' are usually inferior quality to well regarded headphones. For gaming Audio Technica A500/700/900 are well known for their wide soundstage (whats gives you a spacious sound for positioning). NVX XPT100 would also work extremely well if you pair it with a decent DAC like the SMSL SD793ii. For a microphone, The Antlion Modmic is a good choice. All together I believe it should blow away the Logitech g930 or Astro A40 in gaming, and especially music fidelity.

Wonder what you think is best for gaming... open or closed back?

Thanks.

Looking into Audio Technica. They seem pricey.

Generally, high noise environment or not wishing to disturb others= closed. Low noise environment = open. But, I wouldn't buy based on that criteria alone.

Personally I am a fan of the Heil proset

However, I recently built an adapter box for a David Clark H10-30 for a buddy and let me tell you, I am on the lookout for one of those at a reasonable price for sure!

Ah, an aviation headset. Very nice. What's involved in making an adapter for that for PC use?

The best sounding headphones for games are Stax. The cheapest of those would be a used Lambda model with an SRD-7 energizer plus you need a speaker amp or receiver to power the SRD-7.

If you want omg directional sound for less, try the AKG 700 series. Those need an amp to really sound their best but are totally worth it.

Another vote for the Vengence 2100, I have the 2000, I use it for movies and games and I'm fairly happy with it, the bass could be a bit better but that's whatcha get for the price :p

personally I use and am delighted with :

Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 80 headphones and a separate mic many use a very inexpensive Zalman clip on mic $8~ish ..In my case I have some recording stuff so I use my Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 and a Sterling Audio ST55 condenser mic.

the beyersdynamics are about $200~ but they are very very nice headphones (imho) many have come to the conclusion that headphones + separate mic is the way to go.

headset wise these are supposed to be rather nice and priced pretty well they are clearly OEM'd from takstar the design is clearly paying tribute to the beyer design... (drivers totally different .etc.)

but blah blah
HyperX Cloud Gaming Headset $80~

http://www.amazon.com/HyperX-Cloud-Gaming-Headset-KHX-H3CL/dp/B00JJNQG98/ref=pd_cp_MI_0

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I would recommend Sennheiser PC320 headset. But although they sound great (good mic too), the build quality is pretty poor. Same goes for their support, Sennheiser never got back to me. There's better stuff out there for the money.

I need to find my soldering iron and fix the jack which more less fell apart.

Wonder what you think is best for gaming... open or closed back?

Thanks.

Looking into Audio Technica. They seem pricey.

Open would be best since they generally offer wider soundstage, but you were talking about how outside noise was bothering you. So really I would opt for closed under those circumstances.

I have both the Logitech 930 and the Corsair 2000 wireless headsets. They are both good, but The Corsair was just a bit more comfortable for me and the battery in the headset seems to last longer. I found when i wear the logitech 930s it built a bit of pressure in my ear, whereas the Corsair didn't bother me at all. Neither of them necessary blew me away with their sound, but they both performed well in games.

Ah, an aviation headset. Very nice. What's involved in making an adapter for that for PC use?

Very simple really. The ANC microphone setup in the David Clark requires a bias voltage so a 9V battery, current limited and capacitor decoupled from the output, must be connected to the ring (mic + line). The circuit is detailed here http://www.flightsim.com/vbfs/content.php?1985-How-ToAdapt-Aviation-Headsets-To-Computers

In my case I was loathe to cut up the headset so I built a breakout box you plug the stock headset into. This box has the green and pink plugs from an old PC headset hanging out of it. The only real wrinkle is that the aviation standard uses ubiquitous 1/4" phone for the speakers, but a 0.206" phone plug for the mic, so you don't plug them in backward. So, If you don't want to chop up the stock wiring you have to order up the 0.206" female jack from Mouser.

Hi,

Been doing a lot of research. Think I'm going to finally settle on the Sennhesser One Black. That or the 363d maybe. The Audio Technina AdG1 looks weird. The sound range is impressive but it's too expensive and afraid of build quality. Also be cool to take it on a plane if I had to but that would limit me to closed back. Also a detachable mic would've prefered. Looked at the Beyerdynamics. Those are expensive also. Thanks.

Last edited:
Guys what do you think of the Philips Fidelio X1 Premium?

Its only 32 ohms though. Is that an issue? I have an Asus Xonar Phoebus sound card. Looks damn sturdy though!

Thanks!

Philips X1's are amazing, there are newer X2's as well... The 32ohms is definitely a good thing unless you're using a $300+ tube amp with lots of power. 32ohms is best suited for straight out of your phones, ipods, computer, and mostly everything.

They look like Beyerdynamic knock offs. Think I'm going to get the Philips V2 when they come out.

As far as the A40s go, at $149 they are great for the money, provided you get the mixamp with the headset. You will have a few wires to contend with though, which is a bit of a nuisance. Maybe check out the A50s, but I heard mixed reviews about their performance.

I picked up the A40. It's the grey model. Wanted the black one. Oh well. Sounds good though. Adjustable and fits snugly on my head.

Back