Best Gaming Headset (PC and XBox360)

anonuser

[H]ard|Gawd
With the impending release of CoD: MW2 I would like to buy a gaming headset w/xbox live chat integrated. I have googled and read lots of different sites and seen comparisons:

- Turtle Beach Ear Force x1, x31, and x41 headsets (x31 and x41 are the only wireless options)
- tritton axpro
- Astro A40
- Logitech G35 (looks to be the best, but unfortunately is only compatible with the PC due to the USB digital audio)

And even using the mixamp from the Astro set to plug in standard Headphones and use another mic attached

Does anyone have any opinions? Tried all of these, etc?

I am leaning towards the x41 because wireless + xbox wireless control would definitely be nice. The only cable would be from the xbox control to the headset (xbox live chat).

I own the Astro A40, love it, works great with both my PC and my 360.

The headset is very comfortable and sound quality for gaming is superb (I'll still use my Grados for listening to music). Live chat audio sounds great and the mic is really good. As an aside, they are also the most comfortable headset I've used while wearing my glasses, hands down. I can wear it for hours with no problem, something I couldn't say about my prior Plantronics.

The only real downside is the number of cables you will be using if you are plugged into the 360 (cable from receiver to Mixamp, cable from Mixamp to headset, cable from Mixamp to 360 gamepad). It isn't a problem for me but it may be for others. On the PC isn't as bad since you can bypass using the Mixamp entirely if you want to by using a different cable. I still use the Mixamp because it has a much better volume knob than the in-line control on the headset cable, and I keep its cabling tidied up behind my PC (running SPDIF into my Mixamp and the headset cable running back, I don't see a thing on my desk).

If you can handle the price tag, I can't recommend them enough.

Thanks for the info. The A40 definitely sounds like the best bet for 360/pc compatibility from what you've written and what I've read in other places.

I think I would probably take a small hit in comfort and audio quality for a wireless experience. That being said, if there was a big difference in those two categories I would probably force myself to go corded.

Any experience with the X41? I'd love to have some people who can compare the two.

Of the models you listed I only have experience with the Astros and the Trittons, and I think the Astros win hands down. I've never tried wireless headsets so I can't comment on their audio quality compared to wired ones, sorry.

I have the Astro A40 with the Mixamp which I used for 360 and they are great but I've had to send them in 3 times for the microphone in-line mute switch messing up. The switch is currently messed up again and I just haven't bothered with sending them in again because they are out of warranty. They have been a huge pain in the ass for me but the sound for gaming is great. I don't find anything when searching google for people with my similar issue so I'm assuming its extremely rare if not just me. Their customer support service is one of the best I have dealt with, the turnaround time from the first email I sent to getting my headset back fixed was under a week all three times I sent them in.

I agree with Serpico, if you can afford the A40s then get them.

I haven't used any Turtle Beaches but I hear nothing but great reviews for the X1s, especially since they are only like 60 bucks.

Xbox live chat is very important to me (talking with friends not trash talking 12 year olds). One of the features of the Turtle Beach headsets that instantly stuck out to me was voice feedback. I could only imagine that without some type of vocal feedback I would speak too loud or too low with headphones on.

Is this truly a problem on other headsets or a non-issue?

Also, for the people that have used the new headsets with virtual 5.1 positional audio from 2 drivers, how does it compare to a good pair of stereo headphones? I hear differing opinions like:

- A good stereo headset lets you know exactly where shots or footsteps are coming from
- Once you try virtual 5.1 positional audio (ie: Astro A40 and Turtle Beach x41) you can never go back.

I have been using an old set of Klipsch ProMedia 4.1s since 2000 and that is really my only experience with modern gaming audio. They do not have a digital input.

Sennheiser PC350

Those do look nice, but they have a single cable for the mic and the input so it would get messy running an extension to the xbox controller from the xbox.

Turtle Beach X1, or X3

You do realize that the X3 is discontinued and the X31 and X41 models w/digital RF instead of infrared have been released?

ATH-A900 or DT770 Pro with a jerryrigged microphone.

This

+ a dedicated headphone amp.

The problem with this setup is that while it would work great for the PC, it would get messy due to extra wires back to the controller once you bring xbox live chat into the mix. Has anyone here tried the Astro mixamp along with a high end setup like this?

Also... still hoping someone has some experience with 2 speaker virtual 5.1 in headphones vs stereo on the xbox 360 (or PS3 for that matter).

Last edited:
Has anyone here tried the Astro mixamp along with a high end setup like this?

I can imagine that it would be really expensive doing this. Those headphones are $200-$250 a piece. The Mixamp is $130 by itself, while the Mixamp with the A40 headset is $250 all in.

The headsets above are great, but the A40 is in the same league as far as I'm concerned. I believe that the Mixamp is priced the way it is so that people are more likely to buy the whole package together instead of pairing the Mixamp with another manufacturer's headphones.

In this case the A40 presents a really good value. Now, if you're using cheapo headphones then obviously buying the Mixamp would be a good deal, but I can't really recommend going with something worse unless you were on a tight budget. If you're going for comfort and quality, any of the above will do.

ath-ad700 or sennheiser hd555

either can be had for around $80 and both work fine w/o an amp

you'll need a separate mic tho

Last edited:
ATH-A900 or DT770 Pro with a jerryrigged microphone.

Thirded.

This is the way to go. You'll have solid headphones for both games AND for music. Plus no mike getting in your way when you're not intent on using it.

As for the xbox360, I just plug the mic into the controller and drape the headband behind my neck, this props the mic up directly in front of my mouth. It's not any different from when it's worn around the head.

This is the way to go. You'll have solid headphones for both games AND for music. Plus no mike getting in your way when you're not intent on using it.

As for the xbox360, I just plug the mic into the controller and drape the headband behind my neck, this props the mic up directly in front of my mouth. It's not any different from when it's worn around the head.

The A40 mic is removable. As for the 360, the point of the A40 mixamp is that it mixes normal game audio with voice chat and you can control the level balance. There is no need to drape the headset or anything, it all works together.

As for music, I already have a really nice pair of Grados for music so that really isn't a problem for me. If you want a headset strictly for gaming, I'd go with a headset that is made for it like the A40. If music is also a priority then get something else that may compromise usage with the 360.

The A40 mic is removable. As for the 360, the point of the A40 mixamp is that it mixes normal game audio with voice chat and you can control the level balance. There is no need to drape the headset or anything, it all works together.

As for music, I already have a really nice pair of Grados for music so that really isn't a problem for me. If you want a headset strictly for gaming, I'd go with a headset that is made for it like the A40. If music is also a priority then get something else that may compromise usage with the 360.

Do you notice a big difference in positional audio using the A40 w/it's 5.1 processing vs the Grados with just stereo separation?

Do you notice a big difference in positional audio using the A40 w/it's 5.1 processing vs the Grados with just stereo separation?

A bit, I actually turn the 5.1 off because I don't like how it flattens the audio out. The much bigger and more noticeable difference is in the way the headphones are balanced. The A40 are much more up-front and punchier, which makes sense for games. The Grados by comparison are more laid back and more appropriate for music (which is weird to say because Grados are very bright compared to most audiophile grade headsets). You get all the detail and dynamic range with good recordings, everything from the highs to the lows are there and easy to pick up on. That said, that wide "flatter" sound means that the Grados are missing that oomph for games compared to the A40. By contrast, the A40s with music lose a lot of detail in the bass and the highs, its almost like listening to music with a blanket over my head compared to the Grados, but for games that is actually perfect since the audio is tuned for that kind of audio and audio system anyway. Very compressed, very high impact.

FYI, my Grados are the GS1000i.

Hope this helps. :)

you can also have a look at the Sennheiser PC 166 USB Stereo Multimedia Gaming Headset.The sound quality is better than any other pair of headphones I've owned.

Last edited:
Just ordered a pair for my gaming machine...... I had a old pair and they worked great...... :) The cat chewed on the cord on the old set and wrecked them.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16826106157

26-106-157-03.jpg

Anyone else have any opinions? I'm torn between Astro Mixamp + any good headphones w/mic or Turtle Beach x41.

The draw of wireless... Not too many people have tried the X41 though as it is only a couple months old.

Reviving an older thread. I think I may pickup the A40's after buying the X41's. The problem with the X41's is the hissing noise and its 2.4Ghz. The hissing noise is annoying when quiet, but unnoticeable during gaming. Pretty much everything runs on 2.4Ghz (X360, some phones, some wifi, wireless cameras, etc) so interference has been an issue for me. I have my X360 and PC at one location and had to turn off my PC and Wireless G to eliminate some of the cutting out I was experiencing.

Otherwise the X41's are nice and comfortable. They sound good and the positional audio works well.

Back