Best Gaming CRT that is NOT FW900

Andyk5

[H]ard|Gawd
I have not owned a CRT monitor in a long time and have the itch to find one on ebay or craigslist. Looking for a 19-22 inch min 100Hz refresh rate CRT which is not going to break the bank. Is there anything good that I can pick up off craigslist for $200 or so max?

I'd suggest one of the Mitsubishi Diamond Pros. You should be able to find a 2060u or 2070u; they are excellent, reliable displays. The Sony GDM-F520 could be described as "the best there ever was" but I've never known one to last. LaCie Electron Blue IV 22" units were fantastic as well.

So I am looking in to Lacie Electron Blue IV 22' which is a Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB in a different casing.
The main reason why I am looking at these is mostly retro computing. I am one of those guys who put his own 486 and pentium machines together and played DOOM II over 14.4k baud modems with his friends. I remember playing Warcraft II on my 17inch viewsonic like yesterday. I never ever enjoyed gaming ever since the introduction of the "modern" games. Most FPS's in these days give me motion sickness, which all started with Half Life. Even a 24inch 120Hz Lightboost did not help my cause. My last attempt at reclaiming my old glory is to go back to my roots and have a CRT based retro gaming setup, separate from my 1440p x 3 dual gtx680 SLI one.
I may never get the gaming enjoyment that I had when I was in my teens back, but maybe I can re enact some of it and if even a 100+hz native CRT makes me sick, then I know for sure to give up on the fps and high refresh rate's helping my motion sickness endeavor.
So I am hoping this 22 Lacie with the Mitsubishi Diamond Pro 2070SB guts will do the trick.
If it makes a huge difference, I will totaly abort my other setup and go triple FW900's :D

A few of the best to get you started:

Sony F520
Philips 202P40
Viewsonic G225f
Samsung 1200NF

Sony G520 + rebrands:
*IBM P275
*Dell P1130
*HP P1130

Mitsubishi 2070SB + rebrands:
*HP P1230
*Compaq P1230
*NEC FP2141SB
*SGI 2070SB
*Lacie Electron Blue IV

Mitsubishi 2060u + rebrands:
*Dell P1230
*NEC FE1250

I wouldn't even consider 19" CRTs. Sure, back in the day they seemed huge. With our recent exposure to large LCDs a 19" CRT now feels so tiny.

Last edited:
I got a Dell P1130 that I need to test out. If you want it I would just need shipping all covered or if local you can pick it up and just toss me a few bucks for my time. I am in the SF bay area

I wouldn't even consider 19" CRTs. Sure, back in the day they seemed huge. With our recent exposure to large LCDs a 19" CRT now feels so tiny.

It's amazing how a 1080p 21.5" screen is now commonplace. I used to envy everyone with 17" and 19" CRTs. (We had a 15" at home).

I got a Dell P1130 that I need to test out. If you want it I would just need shipping all covered or if local you can pick it up and just toss me a few bucks for my time. I am in the SF bay area

I am in Los Angeles, I would have totally picked it up if I was in the area. How much would be shipping do you think?
Was Sony F520 a better monitor than the mitshubishi 2070sb?

I am in Los Angeles, I would have totally picked it up if I was in the area. How much would be shipping do you think?
Was Sony F520 a better monitor than the mitshubishi 2070sb?

$197.94 Just for the shipping with UPS not including any materials that I would need to buy that would protect it.

68.93 for Fed Ex and USPS does not want anything to do with it.

The cost of the materials needed to actually ship it is on the iffy side. I also have not tested it yet because I am still looking for my VGA cable.

*edit*

Just tested the monitor and it works just one thing.... there is a faint line going across the screen at certain resolutions/refresh rates.

Last edited:
$197.94 Just for the shipping with UPS not including any materials that I would need to buy that would protect it.

68.93 for Fed Ex and USPS does not want anything to do with it.

The cost of the materials needed to actually ship it is on the iffy side. I also have not tested it yet because I am still looking for my VGA cable.

*edit*

Just tested the monitor and it works just one thing.... there is a faint line going across the screen at certain resolutions/refresh rates.

Yeah man, add materials plus some money for you and it is almost more than what I can pick one up here for. I wish it was local.

And wow at UPS, $200 to ship 50 pounds for one hour flight distance.

Any dell or HP P1130's. You'll want to use CRU.exe to remove the 60 hz refresh rates so that DX10 games in Vista/W7 won't force themselves to 60 hz (similar to how you can do this with strobelight (for lightboost monitors) and/or CRU.exe and lightboost.bin.

Back