Best Gaming CPU and Pairing sith a 3090?

kill8r

Limp Gawd
Hi All,
I am ready to pull the trigger on a 3090 but want a cpu that supports pcie4 and has the performance to match.
I can wait for the latest and greatest from AMD in October but wanted to get thoughts on what the latest and greatest will be and if it is a good idea to pair amd cpu with nvidea gpu.

Thanks

The reviews are out there for the AMD Ryzen 3000 series...using either nVidia or AMD GPUs. Those reviews will help glean what you'd be waiting for: I'm going to speculate that the upcoming AMD Ryzen 4000 series should give *at least* 5-10% more IPC performance, clock for clock if you're willing to wait a bit before you open your wallet.

Otherwise, open both wallets and get a Threadripper.

The reviews are out there for the AMD Ryzen 3000 series...using either nVidia or AMD GPUs. Those reviews will help glean what you'd be waiting for: I'm going to speculate that the upcoming AMD Ryzen 4000 series should give *at least* 5-10% more IPC performance, clock for clock if you're willing to wait a bit before you open your wallet.

Otherwise, open both wallets and get a Threadripper.
Threadripper for gaming may be a bad choice, if gaming is of keen interest. I have a friend of years who I play co-op games with, and he bought a threadripper system in the last year. Twice now, we've fired up a game that flat wouldn't work because the core scheduler doesn't know how to behave is best we can figure out. Some older games just won't work when there are too many cores, we've looked this up, and it isn't an uncommon problem, and there isn't a fix until the game developer or AMD, or a open source party addresses it. (which just is unlikely to happen on some of these older or indie developer titles)

Last edited:
Threadripper for gaming may be a bad choice, if gaming is of interest. I have a friend of years who I play co-op games with, and he bought a threadripper system in the last year. Twice now, we've fired up a game that flat woudln't work because the core scheduler doesn't know how to behave is best we can figure out. Some older games just won't work when there are too many cores, we've looked this up, and it isn't an uncommon problem.

Fair enough. I seem to recall some earlier versions of Windows having a similar issue with the dawn of multi-core processors.

Threadripper for gaming may be a bad choice, if gaming is of keen interest. I have a friend of years who I play co-op games with, and he bought a threadripper system in the last year. Twice now, we've fired up a game that flat wouldn't work because the core scheduler doesn't know how to behave is best we can figure out. Some older games just won't work when there are too many cores, we've looked this up, and it isn't an uncommon problem, and there isn't a fix until the game developer or AMD, or a open source party addresses it. (which just is unlikely to happen on some of these older or indie developer titles)

Can you disable cores in the bios? That may help.

Hi All,
I am ready to pull the trigger on a 3090 but want a cpu that supports pcie4 and has the performance to match.
I can wait for the latest and greatest from AMD in October but wanted to get thoughts on what the latest and greatest will be and if it is a good idea to pair amd cpu with nvidea gpu.

Thanks

That you can buy today?

10900k or 10700k

The smartest move? Am4 with a 3600 or 3700 and then upgrade to ryzen 4000 when it comes out.

Apparently they have a game mode that disables extra cores down to the 6-8 core threshold that is reliable. I’m asking my friend if he tried that on the games that don’t work, but haven’t heard back yet. He said games older than 2010 are the typical culprits he’s seen and it’s engine based, vs game based. Some game engines won’t run so all titles based on that engine are broken and won’t launch.

But that was only for previous threadripper. Current zen 2 threadripper you can’t do that

https://www.guru3d.com/articles-pages/amd-ryzen-threadripper-2990wx-review,22.html

Edit. Friends response.

18F28022-136D-4614-B36C-8EB7AC1F5EED.png
B0CB659F-8A61-434B-847A-971D6D4B577C.png

Last edited:
Time to pick your Mobo
I am looking into it. I want pcie4 and am debating between the October release for the 4000 amd cpus or going with intel. Intel doesn't support lcie4 yet.

I think pcie4 is important for futureproofing

Just get the board you want (B550/X570) and the cheap Ryzen 3 3100 till Zen 3 drops .. that would allow PCI Express 4.0 and then get the card you want .

Yea you can in bios but obviously its annoying having to boot to bios to do so. That brings up the point of appropriate usage. I've got a 32 core TR2 that's used a a professional production machine. Sometimes it will be gamed on and it kills everything thrown at it but we don't play old ass games so have not run into this issue.

This is really a non-issue that's made into an issue. Like wtf buy a TR if you're not producing something with it. And in that case games are secondary. And if one plays that many old games that the issue is annoying to that degree... why'd ya buy a TR in the first place? Anyways, for the OP, wait a month man. I would not be buying a cpu before Zen 3 release.

I have a 3960x tr....not one problem in any of the probably 100+ games I have tried even did a run of fo1-2 .....something is not right with your friends rig is my guess.

Also tr for gaming is just as good or better then a 3950x my 3960 runs at 4.65 in most games and when it comes to production tasks it destroys everything else ..point be if you have the money no reason not to get tr even if all you do is game the massive io is nice I have 6 nvme drives In mine

I have a 3960x tr....not one problem in any of the probably 100+ games I have tried even did a run of fo1-2 .....something is not right with your friends rig is my guess.

Also tr for gaming is just as good or better then a 3950x my 3960 runs at 4.65 in most games and when it comes to production tasks it destroys everything else ..point be if you have the money no reason not to get tr even if all you do is game the massive io is nice I have 6 nvme drives In mine
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris doesn’t work on threadripper and was one of the two games we tried together that wouldn’t work. I can’t remember the other one. These issues weren’t sought by us. We play co-op games together and stumbled across them. Looked it up, saw others had the same problem. You can see from my friend’s text above that he’s run into it multiple times on his own.

Fact: It is a problem, there are threads on this.
AMD even addresses it in their gaming Blog and created Game Mode for the previous threadrippers
1599396289320.png

If you google this you come up with a fairly clear list of games that won’t work.
“threadripper game wont start site:steamcommunity”
For example
1599397074933.png

Whether you have run into it in your titles is immaterial. It may also be immaterial to the purchaser. That’s fine, just pointing out a potential issue with choosing TR if one likes to play a variety of games. If you don’t plan to game older or indie titles, it should not be a concern.

Last edited:
Lara Croft and the Temple of Osiris doesn’t work on threadripper and was one of the two games we tried together that wouldn’t work. I can’t remember the other one. These issues weren’t sought by us. We play co-op games together and stumbled across them. Looked it up, saw others had the same problem. You can see from my friend’s text above that he’s run into it multiple times on his own.

Fact: It is a problem, there are threads on this.
AMD even addresses it in their gaming Blog and created Game Mode for the previous threadrippers
View attachment 276738
If you google this you come up with a fairly clear list of games that won’t work.
“threadripper game wont start site:steamcommunity”
For example
View attachment 276740

Whether you have run into it in your titles is immaterial. It may also be immaterial to the purchaser. That’s fine, just pointing out a potential issue with choosing TR if one likes to play a variety of games. If you don’t plan to game older or indie titles, it should not be a concern.

Those are all TR1 issues. Where are the TR3 issues? TR1 and TR2 have issues in OS due to how the IO chip connects the cores, ie. NUMA nodes. TR3 doesn't have this issue as its designed as a single NODE. You don't need a game mode due to this. I have seen ZERO evidence to suggest what you are about TR3. That's not to say that old ass games won't play on TR3. But it begs the question of wtf are one's priorities here... TR3 is not cheap, you don't buy a 1.5K cpu and then complain about playing a 50cent game like Osiris.

Those are all TR1 issues. Where are the TR3 issues? TR1 and TR2 have issues in OS due to how the IO chip connects the cores, ie. NUMA nodes. TR3 doesn't have this issue as its designed as a single NODE. You don't need a game mode due to this. I have seen ZERO evidence to suggest what you are about TR3. That's not to say that old ass games won't play on TR3. But it begs the question of wtf are one's priorities here... TR3 is not cheap, you don't buy a 1.5K cpu and then complain about playing a 50cent game like Osiris.
I don’t have any reason to argue with you. Enjoy your threadripper 3. My friend who I know well and play with regularly has one. He says there’s problems. I’ve seen there are problems. I linked to problems in the steam community - two of four I screenshotted affected 3950x owners. If you had any inclination to learn more about this you would have seen that too. I’m glad you haven’t seen problems, but they do exist.

I don’t have any reason to argue with you. Enjoy your threadripper 3. My friend who I know well and play with regularly has one. He says there’s problems. I’ve seen there are problems. I linked to problems in the steam community - two of four I screenshotted affected 3950x owners. If you had any inclination to learn more about this you would have seen that too. I’m glad you haven’t seen problems, but they do exist.

Those are old ass games that I don't give a shit about. :banghead:

And you are still missing the damn point. It's like buying a Hummer and complaining that you can't fit it thru narrow roads.

The reality is that it plays current gen games fine. Whether it can play ancient ass games, that's not a requirement so if it works great. If not, it's not an issue. No one buys a TR intending to play ancient games as a priority. C'mon now... stop acting like this is a big issue.

I’ve seen there are problems. I linked to problems in the steam community - two of four I screenshotted affected 3950x owners.
AMD's TR is so effective for the price, I do hope that the issues get ironed out soon!

Those are old ass games that I don't give a shit about. :banghead:

And you are still missing the damn point. It's like buying a Hummer and complaining that you can't fit it thru narrow roads.

The reality is that it plays current gen games fine. Whether it can play ancient ass games, that's not a requirement so if it works great. If not, it's not an issue. No one buys a TR intending to play ancient games as a priority. C'mon now... stop acting like this is a big issue.

If I spend that much on a system I want it to play all my games retro or new. Just because you spent a shit ton of money on something doesn’t mean you need to pretend it’s flawless those are real issues to some people.

If I spend that much on a system I want it to play all my games retro or new. Just because you spent a shit ton of money on something doesn’t mean you need to pretend it’s flawless those are real issues to some people.

In general sure ok. But we're not talking about general computing here. And just because you buy something doesn't mean it can do everything. The right effing tool for the job, how hard is that to comprehend? TR is not marketed for gamers. It's not made for old ass games. It can do games and is actually pretty darn great at it. but the whining about playing old ass games is a bit much.

In general sure ok. But we're not talking about general computing here. And just because you buy something doesn't mean it can do everything. The right effing tool for the job, how hard is that to comprehend? TR is not marketed for gamers. It's not made for old ass games. It can do games and is actually pretty darn great at it. but the whining about playing old ass games is a bit much.
Sorry, but I agree with Logan. There is no reason it shouldn't be able to run old software. He wasn't whining, just pointing out that some games can have issues, which is true. If he doesn't play them cool, if he does then it's good knowledge to have. I'd you don't like it, oh well. TR came up as a possibility for gaming, so this is good information to share.

Last edited:
Kill8r I think the best am4 cpu for gaming will be the 8 core 16 thread 4800X because of the single ccx and higher clock speed. The new chiplets will be an 8 core ccx reducing overall system latency. Nearer to a monolithic core than current Ryzen cpus with 4 core ccxs. That will be the replacement for my 3800x for sure.

Yeah lol people bitching about a issue that is not an issue any more.

On topic:

As far as best cpu id say use what you have and get a Zen 3 in 2 months or less.

Btw I have had Z E R O issues on my 3960x 3rd gen Threadripper. Every single game runs and runs very fast as my chip hits 4.4ghz with ease.

Back