best games of all time (PC)

200/200 turned QL into a spamfest, and you lose all health/armor prediction which was the original strategy in Q3 during online play. In QL, they also turned the rail damage really low, lowered the rocket splash damage, increased the plasma spam damage, and dynamically increased the lightning gun spam damage. Basically all they did was take all the skill based aspects of the game and turned it into a newb friendly spamfest where all you have is people holding down their mouse button. They made it so unskilled people live longer and have a chance by spamming. The strategy is gone. Oh, and they removed the ability to timenudge, so my shots are not hitting where they should either. As far as the gibs go, they decided to take the politically correct route to please german liberal politicians, or at least thats what the developers are saying. It's good to know we were sold out for some euro-pussies' agenda. So yeah, I'm sticking with Q3 and RA3.

rail damage hasnt been turned down... at least not in my experience... it still does 100 points of damage, and will kill an unarmored player in one shot......

the strategy element is still there... in fact, it may be even greater now, since there are so many hit points, you really do want to play it safe against an opponent until you *know* he's been damaged alot....

i dunno, i guess we dont see eye to eye on this, but i will say that quake live is NOT a spamfest... those that try to do that are owned swiftly and repeatedly....

rail damage hasnt been turned down... at least not in my experience... it still does 100 points of damage, and will kill an unarmored player in one shot......

the strategy element is still there... in fact, it may be even greater now, since there are so many hit points, you really do want to play it safe against an opponent until you *know* he's been damaged alot....

i dunno, i guess we dont see eye to eye on this, but i will say that quake live is NOT a spamfest... those that try to do that are owned swiftly and repeatedly....

The rail damage is currently at 80.

Every server I've joined in QL is a spamfest.. literally no strategy or skill is involved, especially on the majority of servers having 200/200. There's no weapon strategy left with the only opportunity to get a 100 damage hit by means of a direct rocket or direct grenade.

The rail damage is currently at 80.

Every server I've joined in QL is a spamfest.. literally no strategy or skill is involved, especially on the majority of servers having 200/200. There's no weapon strategy left with the only opportunity to get a 100 damage hit by means of a direct rocket or direct grenade.

how big is the remaining RA3 community? still easy to get a decent game going?

Cant pick one. My top five:

Kings Quest (showing my age)
California Games
Ultima III
WIzardry
Tie Fighter

My top ten in no particular order...

Crysis
Descent
Doom 3
No One Lives Forever
Mechwarrior 2
Powerslide
Quake 2
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. - Shadow of Chernobyl
Unreal
Unreal Tournament

If I have to pick my favorite all time games one of them was never released on the IBM PC, but the Atari ST system.Chaos Strikes Back: Dungeon Master II. It's really the game I have always judged real time Fantasy games by. For me that was one of the great standards for RPGs. I still play this via emulators periodically since I love it so.

For Modern stuff I would say:

Diablo II
Warcraft II - Best lan party game for me.
Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis (in many ways my favorite FPS)
Rainbow Six 3: Raven Shield for it's Multiplayer (I never did finish the single player on this one).

Stuff I still play:
RTCW: Enemy Territory
Civ IV
TripleA

When my new build is completed I will see how well I like Battlefield 2 and Enemy Territory Quake Wars since the Egg had those in the under $10 range this last week.

My top ten in no particular order...

Liar! This is alphabetical order!

Anyway, yeah.. No One Lives Forever was a kickass game. When that game was new it was right around the time I got into online gaming with Team Fortress Classic. Before that, my first real addiction started with Duke Nukem 3D.

Baulders Gate
Fallout
Diablo
Half Life
Plainscape Torment
S.T.A.L.K.E.R.
Unreal Tournament
Mechwarrior
Doom
Castle Wolfenstien
Command and Conquer
Freespace
Wing Commander
Heroes of Might and Magic
X-com UFO defense
Toca

probably missing some but you get the idea.

Kings Quest 1,5,6
Kotor 1
Gabriel Knight 1,2
The Longest Journey
Grand Theft Auto: Vice, Andreas
UT2K4
Hit Man: BloodMoney
Culpa Innata

I can't believe it...9 pages and not one mention of Activision's Battlezone from 1998?

Well, one guy did mention Battlezone II, but it was a POS as compared to the first one.

It was a perfect blend of RTS and FPS. Pretty much uniqie in it's day. Also had pretty good online play where you could concentrate on either the FPS of RTS style of play.

Bf1942 and mods (Desert combat , eve of destruction and forgotten hope)

some that have not been mentioned yet:

Giants: Citizen Kabuto
Sacrifice
Black & White
Curse of Monkey Island
Mafia

Planescape Torment. I actually felt something for the protagonist in that game, the only game where I gave a damn about who you play and what your goal is.

No other story comes close to being as good as the Nameless One's.

here are some classics

ultima 6: the false prophet
prince of persia (original)
descent 1 & 2
x-wing vs tie fighter

and id have to mention these for more recent games:
TF2
Bioshock

Star Control II

That's definitely in my top few. Nice Choice. My list would be:

1. System Shock
2. System Shock 2
3. Ultima 8 Pagan
4. Star Control 2
5. Rest of Ultima series
6. Sorry, but Quake/Doom/Hexen/Heretic/Wolfenstein series occupies this slot, (you asked for best ever, can't disqualify anything, though I will condense them into a single slot)
7. Riddick: Escape from Butcher bay
8. Syndicate

My brain only goes to 8 today. I've answered threads like this in the past though, with much more complete and ordered lists. :)

B00002STNQ.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

The most badass game, ever.

Hmm where to start :cool:

1.Unreal Tournament
2.Half Life 1/2
3.Team fortress
4.Far Cry
5.Silent Hill
6.Age of Empires
7.Dota
8.Crysis
9.Brood war
10.Gran Turismo
11.Doom

Still,nothing can compare to good Half life,Stalkyard lan party :p

Liar! This is alphabetical order!

Aww shucks. :)

Also, thought I would add some honorable mentions below:

Blood
Ultim@te Race Pro
Need For Speed: Underground
Clive Barker's Undying
American McGee's Alice
Half Life series
F.E.A.R.
Heretic
Quake III Arena
Serious Sam

EVE Online
Oblivion
Home World 2
HL series
FEAR
Natural Selection
Rainbow 6 series
Splinter Cell series
Mech Warrior 4
ARMa

HL/CS 1.6
Classic WOW (id still play if they offered 1-60 servers)
TF2
Diablo and Diablo II
Warcraft II
Ultima Online
Asherons Call

Rome Total War. Of all the great games I have played, and I have played a number of them, that one could keep me interested so long I wouldnt sleep at night. Thats the makings of a great game.

Oh, and Mechwarrior 2. That game was amazing the first time you played it using a voodoo card and the special version for voodoo cards....

Last edited:
X-Com series (A series badly in need of a good remake)
Populous (old game but was great)
NOLF series (I still play it)
Red Baron (Another genre that needs to be redone)
Great naval battles series.. (Wasted tons of time playing them and really wish it could be remade)
Mechwarrior Mercenaries (Loved 2 also)
Gunship (Was addictive for it's time)
Dungeon masters series (It SERIOUSLY needs a remake..lol)
Vampires Bloodlines (Currently playing it)
Theme hospital (Still a fun game but needs a lot of updating)
Ghostmasters (wish they'd make a sequel to it...fun game)
BF1942 series...(A remake is coming out at least partly i hear)
Almost any Sid Meier games :D

Fallout 1
System Shock 2
Deus Ex
Super Mario All Stars (SNES)
Disciples II: Rise of the Elves
Morrowind

We Love Katamari. If not the best game of all time, the best *sequel* of all time. Everything the first game was but better and more, everything a sequel SHOULD be.

Back