Best Games Currently Less Than $20

GonzoP

2[H]4U
I've been away from the scene for awhile as you can see by my rig which was great in 2004 but a bit long in the tooth now. I've jumping on the x800xl bandwagon but the rest of the system will be the same. My montior is a 17"LCD native 1280x1024. I also haven't bought a new pc game since UT2K3. So what are some recommendations for less than $20 per game. I am thinking the obvious ones are Far Cry, UT2K4 and maybe Doom 3 although I was hearing mixed reviews on it. Also Half-Life 2 Episode 1 is a stand alone product right? I don't need Half Life 2 itself right?

Riddick -damn good game for 20 bucks. You can download it from Gamespy Direct2Drive.

Yep, Episode 1 for HL2 is stand-alone product, it even tells on the back of the case that HL2 is not required. But in my opinion, just like said up above by azn plyr, I would recommend a play-through of HL2 first. Only just because you would get better understanding of the situations/characters involved in Episode one. :)

EDIT: And Also to go along with the the topic of the thread actually, I see nothing wrong with maybe browsing through and purchasing older used games off the likes of places like amazon, half.com, e-bay even. you can find lots of games older as well as new on those sites, cause some games you miss out on you can find over there and sometimes for cheap too.

Prince of Persia series (all 3)
Recently found those little gems. Awesome games.

i just saw full specterm warrior ten hammers for 13.95 at target, dont know if its any good though =/

Rainbow 6: Raven Shield

I still play find myself playing it in between others.. great pickup.

Since you seem to like shooters, here's another vote for Riddick. One of the best games in recent years.

Far Cry's the obvious answer IMO.
Others that aren't so obvious are Neverwinter Nights (Diamond version includes 3 expansions, too) and Baldur's Gate.

I ordered UT2k4 DVD off amazon for 14.99 + shipping. Ended up adding a CD so it'd be over $25 so I could get free shipping.

Another vote for Riddick, and another suggestion to get HL2 before Ep1. Also, definitely grab Psychonauts. You can probably pick it up for around $15 at http://www.gogamer.com This game is insanely cool. Quake IV is nice too.

UT2K4 is still some of the best funa round, IMHO. Should be cheap by now. Also, X3 is now $20 on steam, I loved X2 and starforce kept my from playing my copy of X3, but now I am probably going to check it out.

How old do you want to go?

I also second x3 with the steam DL. It has a steep learning curve, and stick with it at least a week (frustrating and slow at first, but once you figure things out, it's a universe side sandbox :) ) and you'll find a very deep, very fun space sim.

Thanks for the input.
I'm probably going to start with Far Cry and UT2K4.

How's Day of Defeat?

IL-2 Gold Pack with IL-2, Forgotten Battles, Ace Expansion, and Pacific Fighters FTW :D

Day of Defeat. One of the few games that kept my interest for longer than 1 month. It was worth more than all the other steam based games together. Until TF2 and Portal that is i assume.

Decker87 said:
RIDDICK, "How the hell did a movie-based game turn out good?"

I dunno expecially since the movie sucked.

Well as for my reccomendation if you like racing games, motogp2 and 3 are both good.

grab the CS:Source set and you get Day of Defeat:Source with it for free. If you like online FPS games both of these games are awesome. Pretty much all I play is CS:S. If you want a good single player game grab HL2 plus it comes free with CS:S (added bonus) and Farcry is another great single player game.

on a side note, I also jumped on the x800xl deal that you did, that was one hell of a bargain, now all I need to do is find a really good bargain on a 2 gig kit. :D Then BF2 will be in my future...

Another vote for Far Cry :cool:

I have Riddick aswell, but haven't played it yet (I'm always buying games but never find the time to play them... but one day ;) )

Another vote for Riddick!
Also someone suggested Need For Speed:Most Wanted, if like quick fun racing games and can't find Most Wanted for 20 bucks try finding previous releases like NFS:Underground

I know it's not new, but Max Payne 2 is an idea if you haven't played it.
I got it for $10 at Fry's. For $20 you could get 1 and 2. ;)

I just bought Alien Hominid today for $5 at CompUSA. Now that's a deal. It seems that all the CompUSAs in my area are moving out of all the XBOX, PS2, and Gamecube market to make room for next gen stuff. There are some really great games there going for $2 - $15 right now.

If we're gonna get close to the $20 mark though, I'll have to say that Warhammer 40000: Dawn of War is the best bet at $18 from Amazon.com.

i got a second copy of far cry that came with my video card... i could mail it to you for free

I would recomend the splinter cell games but I know at least the 3rd one has star force and that means it is worth shit. Check compusa as they have like these 4 ways with 10 dollar games and shit. You can pick up some older good games that way. Worth looking through.

Stereophile said:
Definitely Far Cry.
And New Egg has the oem version for only 10 bucks ! :)
they also have the retail version for the same price ;)

Back