Best Game Someone Dumped On You

ballpoint

Gawd
My buddy had a slow computer when he bought Tribes 2. He just gave it to me for free and it turned out to be the best game I'd ever played up to that point. It was my main game for the next nine months (until RTCW took over). I never would have bought the game on my own as I was prejudiced against Tribes after trying to play the original on a 166mhz Pentium.

Quake.

that got me into computer games, fps' in general and computer building back in like... 97 i think :)

one of my friends made me play Wolfenstein 3D. Been gaming ever since :D

A friend of mine back in elementary school hooked me up with a copy of Doom 2. I must have played that, and about a million user mods, for almost 3 or 4 years.

Two entries for me:

1.) A friend gave me his copy of KotOR when he finished it. I was staunchly anti-RPG at that point and that game helped me to relax my prejudice. I'm still not a big fan of the genre, but playing through the game again to see the various endings and powers was fun.

2.) CS. I had played through half-life, but a buddy mentioned that CS was a lot of fun so I downloaded it and pretty much played nothing else for about 4 years.

My cousin let me play Starcraft on his computer almost 8 years ago. I would never have picked up that game because I didnt like RTS...omg how that changed with that game.

TFC. Before that, I was all about the RTS games. TFC introduced me to a larger world.

World of Warcraft. I always thought paying monthly to play a game was stupid, now I understand. I have gotten more hours of entertainment out of that than most other games combined (excluding monsters like FF7 and the TES games).

Two entries for me:

1.) A friend gave me his copy of KotOR when he finished it. I was staunchly anti-MMO at that point and that game helped me to relax my prejudice. I'm still not a big fan of the genre, but playing through the game again to see the various endings and powers was fun.
uhhh... KoTOR is NOT a MMO... its an RPG yes, but definitely not an MMO. It is the very antithesis of an MMO...

uhhh... KoTOR is NOT a MMO... its an RPG yes, but definitely not an MMO. It is the very antithesis of an MMO...
Wow... that's one helluva brainfart. I meant to type RPG and just completely biffed it. Editing now. Thanks for pointing it out.

Wow... that's one helluva brainfart. I meant to type RPG and just completely biffed it. Editing now. Thanks for pointing it out.

Well MMO's are about the only PC RPGs made these days. It's understandable.

Unreal Tournament, I got it free with a sound blaster live card I bought. I wasn't into FPS's so I ignored it and just kept playing my RTS's and RPG's.

One day my friend installed it and played it with out my permission while I was on the can, and ever since that day we were both hooked. For a while even we would create servers just for us and fill them with bots, find maps and etc and share them with each other... best gaming exeperance I've ever had.

Quake 3 Arena for me. At first I didn't think much of it, but then I actually played it. I still play that game every once in a while.

Only game that comes to mind that I got from a friend who didn't like it and just gave it to me was Arcanum.

Pretty cool rpg. Was kinda buggy at that point though.

Best game i was ever given was an almost new copy of Radiant Silvergun on Saturn a few years ago. My buddies Saturn broke and he only had a few games and didnt fancy buying a new one so he gave them to me since i had a saturn too. Not only is it a kick ass game, but its also worth a small fortune these days. Its also in mint condition since its been sat on a shelf because its a japanese game and my Saturn is a UK model. Only got myself a magic-key cart last year and only played it a couple of times since i'm scared i'll damage it :D

Best game i practically gave away was Panzer Dragoon Saga, also on Saturn. Sold it after i finished it for next to nothing. Gutted now.

You win some you lose some.

Leisure Suit Larry. Perv (not really but he was the kind of uncle who would take you to a tittie bar or nude beach - he lived in sydney, AUS) of an uncle was visiting us and dumped this game he got bored of, for me and my brother to try.

Counter-Strike 1.3

My buddies started playing LAN games and they made me play with them one day and it got me HOOKED.

I still play Counter-Strike today but not as much. I just wished they would've still kept 1.5 alive.

my dad came home from work one day many many many years ago and dropped Heretic on my lap. from that day on i was addicted to FPS. first year in HS a friend gave me a copy of starcraft, o'boy that changed everything too.

I can think of two games that friends let me borrow back in the day that got me hooked.

1) TIE Fighter. There was such a thrill being the bad guy and working alongside Vader.

2) Master of Magic (and Masters of Orion 1). I got completely over-the-top hooked on these two games and played them for weeks on end whenever I had the time.

Unreal Tournament, I got it free with a sound blaster live card I bought. I wasn't into FPS's so I ignored it and just kept playing my RTS's and RPG's.

One day my friend installed it and played it with out my permission while I was on the can, and ever since that day we were both hooked.

Haha, dude, you must have been doing #2 in the bathroom for a LONG time. Unreal Tournament takes a long time to install! :D :D :D

Years back my step dad let me play Tie Fighter with a Sidewinder 3D Pro Joystick. But other than that I haven't come accross any PC Gamers...Its too bad none of my friends are PC Gamers..

diablo.

if i could go back i'd make sure they didn't. i never would've gotten into WoW.

Freespace 2.

I was a Descent maniac, and thought the whole morphing of the Descent franchise and a flight sim was traitorous, but it ended up being a great game, a distant second behind TIE fighter...... (best.... game.... ever.... )

I was in middle school when DOOM came out. Someone had the shareware. I already had Wolf 3D - the rest is history :)

When my friend came over one day all excited with a brand new copy of HL. My life never was the same after that. :D

Way back when I was Like 12 one of my friends bought a new game called Chrono Trigger and he had never played an rpg and he was kind of on the dumb side so he couldn't figure out how to play it and just gave it to me.

I've got a couple games in mind for this topic.

I had already beat Final Fantasy III (6) and VII when a friend loaned me a copy of II (4). It was great to beat all three of them, but I still haven't played one as great as 6.

Also, another friend loaned me a copy of Quake 2 right after Quake 3 came out. It was fun as I was playing on a Voodoo2 at the time but I still wasn't digging the whole speed of the game. I've always liked first-person shooters like Counterstrike better for their slower pace.

Somebody else loaned me Morrowind awhile after it came out, but my computer played it like shit until some upgrades and I've bought two Game of the Year editions since but can't find either one to fire it up on the new rig. Plus I'm still playing through Oblivion since I thought it was crap on Xbox 360; however, I bet if I had played Morrowind on Xbox first I would have enjoyed Oblivion better. The controls are just unbelievably ghetto compared to a keyboard and mouse.

Long time ago I used to use a program called Hotline. it was a chat program which was cool at the time but now sucked. Anyways a server I used to visit keep talking about this Myth: The Fallen Lords Demo the whole week. Finally I decide to download it....After that my social life came to a stop for a bit. I loved that game and series, well till Microsoft screwed it up with number 3 =(

Ultima Underworld by a friend when I was in 5th grade. I loved it and I've been playing games ever since.

To me, it was Morrowind.

I never actually played an RPS seriously, but when a friend borrowed me her copy and I saw this pearl, that mixed both FPS and RPG in one game, I was hooked. And today, along with Oblivion, it is on the top five of my favorite games list.

A friend gave me his copy of POSTAL 2. hammered it on the muliplayer. never had as much fun chasing people down with my todger out trying to piss on them..... in game of course

Back