Best free virus protection for Vista 64 bit?

darkhunter139

Supreme [H]ardness
I have AVG right now is just that good protection or no? Would I be better off getting windows live one care? I have that installed I am just not subscribed.

I am using Avira AntiVir on Vista x64 and am very pleased with it. So pleased that I upgraded to the paid version.

Is there a free version or a trial?

Should I remove windows live one care and avg from my PC and do I need a spyware scanner or something too?

AVG Free is what i have been using on Vista64 , it seems to work great and is very light weight

Its called AVG Free 8.0 thats the right one? I just downloaded off some site that came up on google

I prefer Windows Live OneCare but some might call me biased...

This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.

AntiVir has far superior detection rates...and it much lighter. Both of those are good qualities IMO.

AntiVir is pretty much rated by most as having better detection rates than AVG. I have also found version 8 of AVG to be quite buggy. Unfortunately we have paid subscriptions on several machines, and have come in to work some mornings to find it disabled or crashed and have to reboot to get it running again. Not to mention that it is quite hostile to password recovery tools and wants to delete than as malware. It doesn't ask, just does it. On the other hand, it is not the worst thing I have ever used either. Try them both and pick your preference. You get what you pay for though, I don't run anything free.

Anyone heard of Avast! ? I'm using it now, I find it alright, but I liked the fact that it was a true 64bit antivirus (not even sure if that makes a difference).

Maybe I'll give antivir a shot.

I really like Avast! but I didn't know that AVG had a native 64bit build available for free. I've used both Avast! and AVG, Avast! seems a bit heavier but more powerful and useful all around, I'm sticking with it.

I use Avast & really like it. I used AntiVir on an XP install recently & it effed up my system. Probably a conflict but it scared me away.

Avast is really nice, Antivir is even better!

Antivir is amazing, I love it and think I might even get the paid version. It is just as light as nod32 and the software is laid out much better IMO.

I use Avast across all my machines. I used AVG for a long time as well until they had a firewall filter driver update that would BSOD my system as soon as AVG was loaded.

I found both AVG and Avast very light weight (especially compared to ones like Norton or McAffee) but I found Avast at the time to be more powerful especially with what the free version gives you in the different scanners. I only run the resident shield and the email shield since I see no reason to scan my network (I'm the only 3 PCs there) and I don't visit websites I don't trust, my Linux box is used for that. ;)

I also didn't care for the fact that I was constantly getting false positives with AVG. I had my C&C3 main executable deleted on three separate occasions. AVG even called a file in my Ubuntu 7.04 ISO infected at one point. Avast has only ever had a single false positive and that was on an old version of the CCCP codec pack.

Now I haven't looked at AVG in awhile so I don't know what their current offering has in it but I still recommend AVG and Avast to all my friends. My default install for people like my siblings and my parents though is Avast because I can have it set to scan the web and that makes my life easier because I have less crap to clean up when my siblings call me with issues. ;)

-V

Back