Best (free?) program to image a system drive to a bigger drive?

lobski2

Gawd
My 80GB Windows 7 drive isn't cutting it, and I don't want to do a reformat on a new drive.

I'm thinking of getting a WD 500GB Black to replace it. (Or are there any other recommendations for a fast system drive?)

What is the best, possibly free program to image my system drive to the new 500GB so there will be no problems once I plug it into my computer?

I think, even in spite of the OP's request for image software, I should clarify something just in case:

With that Acronis True Image WD Edition, it's absolutely unnecessary to make an image first that then gets pushed to the new drive. The software has another mode of operation which is the classic "drive to drive" copy mode in real-time, doing the bit for bit transfer from the source to the target, with no intermediary imaging step required.

I've heard similar comments to the one made by Tolyngee in the recent past but, when I dug for more details (from those, not from from Tolyngee's specific example or experience) the problems came from people actually making an image of the source drive on another (3rd) drive first then doing the restore operation of the image to the new target drive.

That process isn't necessary with that WD Edition of True Image (or the actual retail product either) since it offers that drive to drive aka cloning mode of operation. It's worth checking it out, regardless.

No, Acronis True Image would not clone. It would ~30% mark and completely stop for who knows what reason and turn my HDs off.

The free software I linked worked fine, though.

http://hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1036059905&postcount=62

I tested it further, and Acronis still never worked. But the free software did.

I just suggested it as another option in case he runs into what I did.

Last edited:
The freebie Acronis True Image WD edition works like a champ. I use it for my personal machines and never had an issue.

Back