BEST Free or Paid Firewalls

Killermac

[H]ard|Gawd
OK lets do this forum some justice and discuss the thing that we all use to keep out the prying eyes and hands. It does not matter if the firewall is for linux or Windows just make sure that you state which it is protecting. If you happen to not like what another person posts please don't light them up over how you hate that certain firewall since I know we all have one we love.

I'll start with some I have used
Windows based.
1. Zone Alarm (anymore it is crap)
2. Seagate
3. Blackice
4. Symantec Internet Security ( have had issues with it slowing up the systems)
5. TINY firewall

Come on lets make this a worthy thread.

Killermac

Damm if just posted almost exactly the same thread, i'll take out the firewall bit and focus on AV. cheers

I like Kerio Personal Firewall the best. It used to be freeware but they've added some content filtering features (popups, vb scripts, etc) that become disabled after 30 days - the firewall itself keeps running though.

The best part about it is that it gives you a lot of control over how programs interract on your machine. You'll know anytime one program tries to access another, or any program tries to connect to the internet on any port, etc.

And to top it off it doesn't constantly bluescreen your system like Zone Alarm did (truevector engine sucks).

Is this for software based firewalls only? or can PIX, and similar firewalls be listed?

A hardware firewall might be one of the best you can get. But the new firewall in Win XP SP2 RC2 is much better than the previous. It will probably be cracked sooner or later though. But it seems much more advanced.

I still like Zone Alarm. Then again, I don't really rely on it as a firewall, I more like it for the aspect of controlling what programs access the internet. Windows Media player does not need to try to connect to the internet all the damn time.

agreed ^^

also, My ip of my webserver was changed, so all of those unixforums.net links will be down for 24-48 hours :(

sorry

Ockie0107 said:
Is this for software based firewalls only? or can PIX, and similar firewalls be listed?
I say go ahead and post the Hardware ones too why not if that is what you use.

KM

Ockie0107 said:
PIX? I thought he said he wanted the "BEST"?

Any linux distro. 'nuff said.

www.smoothwall.org
Take an old machine and use it as a hardware firewall for free.

Then use any free software firewall that controls applications (I like ZoneAlarm) on your computer.

Combined, these two steps give you great firewall protection, but a firewall is just one part of a complete security system.

Back