Best free anti-virus software

AYO VIN

Gawd
Whats some good virus protection softwares out there that I can download?

I need programs that are better then Norton and McAfee.

You have $1200 in video cards and you can't spend $50 for anti-virus software?

IMO, the best anti-virus is no anti-virus. As long as you're smart, you're fine.

UncleDavid218 said:
You have $1200 in video cards and you can't spend $50 for anti-virus software?

IMO, the best anti-virus is no anti-virus. As long as you're smart, you're fine.

I detect 200 infected files on your computer ;D

you can play that game for a while, to be perfectly honist I've only ever had one trojan sent to me by e-mail (yeah, a 50MB picture file sure is inconspicious).

anywho to the OP. I have had computers that come in here with 100 gi-gillion virus's on em. Some times one sweep of AVG is all they need. IMHO, some of the HDDS AVG has been able to recover is pretty sweet. It seems to have a bigger library then most of the other anti virus products out there. Does nothing for spyware tho.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/downloads29.html

AntiVir personal
Avast!home
AVGfree

..I use AntiVir as its supposed to be lighter than that other 2 and have better virus detection

I run behind an Endian box with content filtering and ClamAV with Spamassassin taggen the spam I get ..

Avast! is more feature rich ..does more than just virus protection

I would also recommend using:
-SpywareBlaster -update it and enable all protection
-Spy Bot Search & Destroy 1.5beta -update it and run the immunize feature and run periodic scans
-AdAware personal -keep updated and run periodic scans
-some people like windows defender but I have never used it myself

spyware can be as bad as getting a virus and anti-virus apps dont always catch the spyware

[F]old|[H]ard

MrWizard6600 said:
I detect 200 infected files on your computer ;D

you can play that game for a while, to be perfectly honist I've only ever had one trojan sent to me by e-mail (yeah, a 50MB picture file sure is inconspicious).
In 2 years, I've never once had a problem. (Only been into computers that long) Just be smart, don't download any files from non-reputable sites... and you've got nothing to worry about. I run Spybot Search and Destroy as well as Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal on a daily basis.

Avast is strong in detection, has layered security, known to slow down your PC a bit more than others.

AVG is middle of the road in detection and performance...

Antivir is good in protection for traditional viruses, it's automatic update module can be stubborn..so keep an eye on it. Lightweight. However...just last week I had a client give me his home laptop....it had ZoneAlarm and Antivir on it...yet was hit hard with trojans..could barely boot up, had around 300 buggers on it.

Kapersky has a manual scanner of theirs available for free through AOHell...you get their excellent detection rates with this product, it's their scan engine. Just close your eyes and ignore that it came through AOL.

CA has eTrust available for free through Microsoft. Decent detection, and lightweight.

Not free (pretty cheap actually) is Eset Nod32. The best antivirus software out there today.

And those of you who do not run antivirus software, you people are idiots. How do you know if you do not have a virus if YOU ARE NOT RUNNING ANTIVIRUS SOFTWARE?!?!

UncleDavid218 said:
In 2 years, I've never once had a problem. (Only been into computers that long) Just be smart, don't download any files from non-reputable sites... and you've got nothing to worry about. I run Spybot Search and Destroy as well as Lavasoft Ad-Aware SE Personal on a daily basis.

FYI, reputable websites have been compromised in the past and have infected computers. Simply mistyping a website address can land you on a potentially maliscious website.

Offering others advice like yours is not "smart". The smart thing is to run Antivirus irrespective of what you "think" can or can't happen, but simply to protect yourself from others.

No offense, but this type of common technology ignorance is what causes the rest of the world to have to purchase antivirus software because some folks think that they are smarter than everyone else and end up having PCs infested with virus/worm/trojan/malware that then in turn infect other peoples PCs unknowingly. You do realize that you can pickup malicious code from a hacked website like the harmless looking santa clause site http://www.Santaslink.net, right? Harmful code can also be picked up from ever more inconspicuous methods, and these different ways are ever increasing.

Your spybot and adaware programs are not antivirus software so you are not vindicated by stating you use these daily. Don't be a fool, install some antivirus software. If you don't want a real time scanner, use clamwin. With the power of todays PCs, worrying about how much resources your antivirus software is using is simply a wate of time IMO. Not trying to be mean here, I'm just trying to educate.

EDIT
To the OP, I like NOD32 for all my antivirus needs. For a free version I prefer Avast.

UncleDavid218 said:

If your not running any antivirus, then I hope your at least not running Internet Explorer.

Ever heard of ActiveX and on demand installs, what security concious idiot came up with that idea!

Most people are gonna say for paid AV, it's ESET's NOD32 - and I agree.

For free, AVG gets the job done.

Private Citizen said:
To the OP, I like NOD32 for all my antivirus needs. For a free version I prefer Avast.
+1 for Avast, better than AVG, both are free

UncleDavid218 said:

Ignorance is bliss. :rolleyes:

That can be fairly safe as long as you NEVER take that computer and attach to any computer on any other network other than your own (including the Internet), and as long as you NEVER attach any computer that has ever been been attached to another network to your network.

Even trusted web servers can be compomised with items that aren't currently being detected as spyware as they are virii. Happens all the time, even to major companies. They aren't always extremely responsive in removing it, either.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/news/securi..._stealing_trojan/0,130061744,339270922,00.htm

Back