Best Flight Combat PC Game?

WhiteZero

2[H]4U
I'm looking for a good aircraft combat game. Preferably something with modern aircraft.
Any suggestions?

I believe the IL-2 Sturmovik games would fancy your interest. :D

EDIT: Oh, modern. How about Lock On:Modern Air Combat?

I've also heard good things about LOMAC. I'll have to try it sometime. I second IL-2, though, even though it's not not modern. I really prefer the older era combat games because it's hard to beat the dogfighting.

LOMAC, hands down. Unless you want the immersive realism of a single aircraft (Falcon Gold), LOMAC gives you the relative accuracy of a focus sim (Falcon, Flanker) along with the variety of a survey sim (the old Jetfighters, etc).

Eagle Dynamics does a great job of giving you an exciting air-to-air AND air-to-ground experience; coupled with a full HOTAS/Rudder pedal/TrackIR setup, it's as close as you can get to modern air combat withour leaving your house! I don't have near as much time to fly as would like, but whenever I do it is a blast. Blowing MiGs out of the sky in my F-15? Awesome. Moving the mud and taking out T-72s behind the GAU-8 of my A-10? Extremely satisfying!

+1 for IL2 if you want a WWII air combat experience...I use that one when I just want to blow things out of the sky...flip on invincibility and unlimited ammo and go to town! Detailed damage modelling FTW!

Reading this thread got me thinking that it's been a long time since I played any flight simulators. I think the last one I played was Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. A good game, but for DOS.

Anything out there that's more on the "arcade" side? I liked Battlefield 2, for example. I would do something very distasteful, and in total opposition of my moral fiber for a modern Descent.

MS combat flight sim. WWII-era planes from US to UK to German. pretty cool for a 5 year old game.

I remember when I bought the binder edition of Falcon 4.0 new...sigh...

Anything out there that's more on the "arcade" side? I liked Battlefield 2, for example. I would do something very distasteful, and in total opposition of my moral fiber for a modern Descent.

Attack on Pearl Harbor is arcade-like. Very simple interface, controls and storyline. The graphics are ok and the audio is pretty good. Overall a bit boring but it's worth some mindless plane shooting fun. Nab the demo and try it for yourself.

For a sim, IL-2 Sturmovik: 1946 is the current king.

For arcade action, I'd have to pick Battlestations Midway since it has ships and planes with kind of a big battle feel to it.

Red Baron 2 by Sierra. Those was some fun times. They came out with a follow up called Red Baron 3d that used glide! I didn't get that because I had a Nvidia card. :D

there has been a lot of good arcade fighters..

i still think crimson skies was one of the most fun plane games i played (arcade all the way)..

one game i never tried but i still see played (and even for sale at stores like BB) is Falcon 4.0 , back from 2005..

i know when it was first released it had major issues/bugs but i wonder if all of that got ironed out by now..

also check out simhq's air section http://www.simhq.com/_air/air.html

definitely Falcon 4.0

A newer version called Allied Force is pretty good - fully clickable cockpit! and each button does something.
LOMAC's okay, but still doesnt compare to the complexity of Falcon 4.0. However, I wouldn't recommend Falcon if you dont want to spend hours and hours to try to learn the game. It has a huge learning curve.

whatever you choose, get a decent joystick.

Aces High 2 for the ABSOLUTE best in arena air combat. IL2 has better graphics, a little more realistic flight models and damage models.

For modern combat, I don't think you can have a good combat flight sim. You don't get close with your enemy, doing rolling scissors and yo-yo'ing, its just "target within a mile, fire missle" and watch him explode.

Reading this thread got me thinking that it's been a long time since I played any flight simulators. I think the last one I played was Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. A good game, but for DOS.

Heh, I remember putting a single F4 versus a bunch of ME-109's in Chuck Yeager's Air Combat. Good times.

The IL-2 guys are coming out with a new game soon called Battle of Britain Storm of War.... It was/has been pushed back a couple of times and is do out next month supposedly.

The IL-2 guys are coming out with a new game soon called Battle of Britain Storm of War.... It was/has been pushed back a couple of times and is do out next month supposedly.

Not a chance, retailers have the dates wrong, xmas is the current date.

Anyone ever play Fighter Ace II back in the day? Me and my dad loved that freaking game. There were sooooo many people online and it was a massive dog fight.

Anyone know the name of the game where there were multiple Era's of combat? It was multiplayer as well I'm pretty sure, and is like 10+ years old.

I think you could fight around the time of the game, say mid 90's aircraft, and then also a "future" version with space combat.

I remember dueling my buddy all the time in it, think we both shared the keyboard for it as well so it wasn't online/lan or anything.

And gotta love Chuck Yeager's Air Combat, that game rocked!

Best flight sim is Aces of the Pacific and Aces over Europe. Got my Europe manual right in front of me lol.

IL-2 1946 without question. No games have as realistic a flight/physics model and are also fun online at the same time (using hyperlobby of course)

Trust me when I say this. IL-2 1946 is the only modern flight combat sim worth checking out. Anyone who suggests anything else has no idea what they're talking about. I've played the IL-2 games like 2 years striaght with my CH fighter pedal and rudders and I've never stuck with a game so long before. The new oleg maddox game looks incredible as well.

Back