Best "First-person Shooter" game to Date?

Descent (Not 2, not 3, the original)
I played Descent from 1995 to 1999. After four years, it started to get a bit dated, graphically.

/thread

Adding two more to my list:

Return to Castle Wolfenstein for SP and Enemy Territory on the MP front. It was the multiplayer FPS that I played the most.

Dew said:
Descent (Not 2, not 3, the original)
I played Descent from 1995 to 1999. After four years, it started to get a bit dated, graphically.

/thread
Man, I still wish I had that game. I had the bonus pack one, that had like 50 extra maps to play in, and I still would play if I had the disc. On the other hand, I just found my descent 2 disc, and half of descent 3, and it's expansion pack, which was pretty good.

1. medal of honor: allied assault

enjoyed

UT
half-life 2
call of duty
counter strike
bf1942
day of defeat source - currently playing

SP:
Gotta go HL2. Its the first game that really made me feel like the hero in a movie.

MP:
CS
Quake 2 (specifically the Loki's Minions CTF mod in particular)
Quake 1 (DM and Threewave CTF)

Unreal Tournament. I started with UT99 and bought every new version since. I still play UT2004 online when I get a chance. Can't wait for UT2007.

Didnt read the entire post but I am going back to the apogee days. the best ever fps so far for me was and is

ROTT

Rise of the Triad no shooter has been as much fun as this game!

I know some of you were thinking this!!

Man, from 90% of the answers given, I swear you guys have to all be born after 1996, LOL.

Wicked_Bass said:

Crossed my mind, but couldn't think of the name....

I doubt I've played that in 10 yrs... I can't remember a lick of it, either... Youtube!

Toss up between Far Cry and F.E.A.R.

Eh, winner Far Cry, just for the fact when I first played it I was in awe. Simply amazing, still is. Story a little weak, but holy crap the scope of the game....

Wicked_Bass said:
Didnt read the entire post but I am going back to the apogee days. the best ever fps so far for me was and is

ROTT

I know some of you were thinking this!!

I remember playing this and Hexen I think it was all the time...there was a cheat code for a chicken gun or some good shit like that :cool:

Hexen was an amazing game i still remember playing it against my friend over lan.

I have to say one of the games that got me into being competitive with online FPS was Rainbow 6 on "MPLAYER". There were so many clans and matches and leagues and it made it incredible. The ones that followed i didnt enjoy nearly as much.

I have to say though the games that started it for me were:

Hexen
Heretic
Doom 1 / 2 (I played through those two games an unbelieveable amount of times).
Duke Nukem
Rainbow 6
Creature Shock
Half-Life
Quake 1/2

Those are the ones that started it for me. Half-Life was so much better than HL2 for me personally just because of the amazing story. I actually remember betting friends that i could beat the single player on HARD in 'X' hours numerous times.

Hexen and Heretic were two awesome games i used to LAN and play against school friends, amazing games.

I love Doom 3, FEAR, Prey, all the UT's but those are the few that set the roots for me.

For all time favorites and how much I played them I would say the following.
For multiplayer I would say Quake, the original.
For single player I would Deus Ex.

1st: Redneck Rampage 1&2
2nd: Duke 3D
3rd: Half-life 2

From all the votes for doom 3 and such, y'all must be younglings :D

I like how everyone is naming older games since that guy called them all on the naming of the last few games released.

Before quake, there was mechwarrior2 and terminal velocity. After quake, there was quake, and quake3.

Every game I like has already been listed here but one.

Chronicles of Riddick: Escape From Butcher Bay

It wouldn't be my first pick (that'd be the Doom and Quake series) but for a game made from a movie it's damn good. I highly suggest you guys check it out if you haven't played it.

belmicah said:
I loved Half-Life 2 and Doom 3, but the expansion for Doom 3 sucked whereas, the Episode 1 expansion for Half-Life 2 is kick ass. Have you guys seen the gameplay videos for Episode 2? Looks freakin' sweet!!

Far Cry was like WOW!
Fear was like, damn my PC sucks, but this is pretty cool.

BTW, props goes to a game that got me starting to play PC games, Tron 2.0.

Good god yes, all were great games, but Tron 2.0 got me back into gaming. You also played a part. HL2, FarCry, and Doom3 were last gen milestones, and should be widely appreciated for what they all offered. My favorite FPS though, would have to be Quake III, you can't mess with it. It was bold in it's time, and still gets played a bit today.

American McGee's Alice
System Shock 1&2
No One Lives Forever 1&2
Battlefield 1942
Unreal series

Singleplayer: No One Lives Forever. Clever and funny, yet fun gameplay.

Multiplayer: Goldeneye on console, I logged SOO many hours on that game. BF1942 Desert Combat mod for PC.

First post!

Lord Raven said:

It wouldn't be my first pick (that'd be the Doom and Quake series) but for a game made from a movie it's damn good. I highly suggest you guys check it out if you haven't played it.

Dang, I forgot about that one, best $10 game I have EVER bought! :D

I would have to say these following FPS were the must haves.

Best Series:

Quake Series
Unreal Series
Half Life Series

Best WW2:

Call of Duty Series
RTCW
BF1942 (Only this BF game! no other lol.)
Day of Defeat

Best Mods:

Counter Strike
Natural Selection
Team Fortress Classic
Day of Defeat
Desert Combat
*Many other mods for Unreal Series, Half Life Series, Quake Series*

Best Oldies:

Doom
Wolfinstein 3d
ROTT (Rise of the Triad)
Duke Nukem 3d
Quake

Good Single Player:
Farcry
F.E.A.R.
Prey
Doom 3
HL1 and HL2
Call of Duty Series

Multiplayer Greats:

Unreal Series
Quake Series
Counter Strike
BF1942

Best Off Beat:
NOLF Series
Serious Sam Series

Im sure I missed a bunch of other FPS but thats all I could think off the top of my head

For me I would have to say SOF2 for online (still clan it today :p ) and the original Doom. COD's were very immersive as well.

Lord Raven said:

Yeah, that game was alot of fun.

For singleplay, RTCW and HL2 are my favorites.

Desert Combat, BF2, UT99 and UT2004 are my favorites for multiplayer action.

SP:
FEAR
FarCry
JediOutcast/Academy

MP:
Unreal Tournament 99 (the original and the best)
FEAR

BladeVenom said:
American McGee's Alice

That game had some amazing visuals. Yeah, it's an older title but still offers some mind bending levels and a general creapiness.

But nothing was scarier than Max Payne. I don't mean "I just crapped my pants Doom 3" scary but real life horror. The levels when you were on V were just hideous. Ugh, hearing the baby wail and the wife cry almost made stop playing it.

In my opinion CS:S is the best, followed by Quake 4 which I just got, I like it a lot, Doom 3 is a joke on the other hand

Back