Best/Fastest CAT5E cable?

hedpe

Gawd
Hey all,

I am looking for 35-50 feet of cat5e cable for my home network. I looked on newegg and most cat5e's there are "generic" or branded AMC and another brand. Where can i find good cat5e cable? Can you suggest a brand and where to buy it?

Thanks!
George

Its not gonna matter what brand. Most ppl make their own, pick up a spool of cable, a crimper, and ends.

That sounds good. I could crimp it myself. Can you suggest somewhere for me to buy a good cheap spool of cable?

just bought 50' of cet5e at home depot this past weekend for a crossover cable to join two switches in my house

17 cent a foot / $8.50 , already had the ends and crimpers

:rolleyes: at what compusa and bestbuy wanted for one

thats a great price, i will definately check home depot. Thanks dude

when we're doing projects for work, when theyre done we throw anything 200' or under in the trash, i threw about 3 or 4 150' leftover boxes away last night. To us theyre nothing, Ive got about 4 or 5 full boxes as an emergency stash.

Menelmarar said:
Its not gonna matter what brand.

This couldn't be any further from the truth. There are HUGE differences in 5e cabling, and HUGE differences between different manufactures. But that is a whole other conversation :D

That being said, for "joe user" at home, almost any 5e should be "good enough" for what you're doing.

RokleM said:
This couldn't be any further from the truth. There are HUGE differences in 5e cabling, and HUGE differences between different manufactures. But that is a whole other conversation :D

That being said, for "joe user" at home, almost any 5e should be "good enough" for what you're doing.
.....you said im wrong, but then in the last line you agreed with me....lol :confused:

Menelmarar said:
.....you said im wrong, but then in the last line you agreed with me....lol :confused:

My point was just to explain to the original poster that all cable is not created equal. There are huge differences, however for the majority of home users they will not see/understand them. Neither agreeing or disagreeing, clarifying ;)

sort of like stranded cable isnt as good as solid copper for long distance runs, short distance its actually better (ie patch cords) the jacket is usually whats different (plenum, utp, stp, plenum stp etc...

Back