Best fan for Swiftech MCR220 Radiator?

enyceexdanny

2[H]4U
Hey guys. I'm currently using 2 x Scythe F Fans to push through the radiator. I wanted to improve my temps as current OC temps of my i7 920 is pretty high at ~45 idle/~80 load (211 x 19). I realized that the easiest would be to replace the fans.

Which fans would you recommend for my radiator that has high static air pressure?
It seems the Gentle Typhoon AP-15 fairs pretty well, but I would like your opinions.

Thanks.

I've also heard the Gentle Typhoon AP-15 are great, especially when used with a controller to dial them down when not running too hard benching/crunching/gaming.

I have the MCR-320, but I use cheap high speed Yate Loons for now. They seem to be working relatively well so far. My 920 D0 is at 200x19, 1.275V, currently priming 22 ambient, 32 idle, 51 load.

I run Scythe S-Flex E's on mine at the moment, but in my next build I'm switching to Scythe GT's. After using them for a while, I can tell you that they provide the best combination of noise and airflow. I've tried so many fans over the years (noctua, scythe, yate loon, silverstone, silenx - yes, I tried these too unfortunately, etc.) looking for the ideal ones, and I think I've finally found them.

Honestly, everyone has their own preferences for fans. My choice, having tried almost all of the top brands that are usually recommended, is the GT's. Various reviews also confirm this, particularly this one:

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=223391

He also posts video for all the fans, so you're better able to get an idea for the sound. Really, the only other place I would look at is silentpcreview, but they haven't reviewed the fan yet. (Though you will find testing by members in their forums).

I don't feel like paying that much for a fan. OP if you need the best 25mm fan, get Yate Loons. They have static pressure, and 88 something cfm @ 36DBA isn't bad when you have the possiblity of using a fan controller and take into account it is psuhing 88 cfm.

I would say Scythe S-Flex is the best for the MCR series in terms of airflow vs noise, but thats my opinion. I have 2 MCR 220s with S-Flex F running at 1000rpms and its incredibly quiet. I dont think the fin density on the MCR really warrants a high speed or high static pressure fan, or can really benefit from one, nor are they really thick enough to need one. When turning the fan speed all the way up the noise is there but the cooling...not so much.

So I seriously doubt changing the fan will yield an appreciable difference with out it being pretty loud. Seems like another rad would be a better way to spend your money. Again, just my opinion.

Back