Best email provider for privacy

metropole

Limp Gawd
I would like to update my email.
Currently, I am using mostly comcast.net.
I also have a domain forwarder that forwards to comcast. This forwarder is good for a lifetime address.

What email providers are known for good privacy, availability, and possibly security?

I've been happy with ProtonMail for awhile. Everything is encryped client side, so in theory the company couldn't mine/lose your data even if they wanted to,. The online interface and mobile apps are good.

The catch: previous emails are erased if you forget your password. And a few bells and whistles are behind a subscription.

There are a couple of encrypted email services like that out there. Some may be better, I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination.

Proton Mail was launched and promoted with privacy and encryption in mind. But what about the fact that most messages will be sent/received to/by other email providers like Yahoo, Gmail etc?
If someone sends by using their gmail account, the email is not encrypted, nor when they have to receive it in their gmail account. That's why I no longer use my protonmail account. Whatever you use, be ready to know it can be read by someone! Important stuff is subject to both sides using their own encryption in email clients (not web client), or just send encrypted archive.

I use Proton Mail. Client side encryption and open source. Mobile apps for Android and ios. Free gets you 500MB storage. I opted for the pay version because I use a lot of folders and the free version only gets you 3. Had it for 2 years and I love it. I pay about 8 CAD a month for 5GB.

You might want to consider migadu.com if you're looking for something that's privacy conscious... They don't make you their product. ie Gmail, yahoo, etc
Full disclosure: I have no experience with them, and am only recommending it based off of recommendations from security analysts and others in the industry

https://protonmail.com/support/knowledge-base/encrypt-for-outside-users/

Proton Mail was launched and promoted with privacy and encryption in mind. But what about the fact that most messages will be sent/received to/by other email providers like Yahoo, Gmail etc?
If someone sends by using their gmail account, the email is not encrypted, nor when they have to receive it in their gmail account. That's why I no longer use my protonmail account. Whatever you use, be ready to know it can be read by someone! Important stuff is subject to both sides using their own encryption in email clients (not web client), or just send encrypted archive.

Also, there's always PGP option.

Sure, that's what I had in mind (one solution).
Regarding the link about protonmail encryption... to me this is sort of unacceptable solution for end-to-end. This approach with a link-in-an-email-to-the-actual-content (inside a browser) is widely used for a lot of 'problems'. It's not a true email experience when you use only email client software. Also not sure if the recipient can reply securely if they don't have protonmail account (maybe they can but again through browser). And what about the other way around - someone from "another email service" sends a message to protonmail user... it is unencrypted by default.
Overall this kind of protection requires mutual acknoweldge on the parameters from everyone involved, to be viable and up to the standards protonmail is promoting.
Also words like "underneath 1000 meters of solid rock".... I don't buy such BS anymore. It might be burried on the Moon, that's irrelevant. I just can't find enough motivation to use them. GMail gives me 15GB storage, 30 times more than Protonmail for free. Their spam filtering is very good... they have tjeir weaknesses but.. I can use PGP or whatever when under agreement with the other party. Most daily mail needs not be encrypted, it is protected by TLS, it's only Google can read it (which they do of course) and I'm Ok with that, I use ad blockers and so far I don't have a leaked bit of information that caused anything other than "ad-targeting".

Last edited:
Back