Best efficiency PSU at about 500 to 600w?

Hey,
Currently I'm building a:
DFI LP DK P45-T2RS+
Q6600
Patriot Viper PVS24G6400LLK
HD4870 1GB
Sony Optiarc BC5600S
and either an Intel X25-M or OCZ Vertex 120GB

I figured that a 500 to 600 watt PSU would do the job so I'm more concerned about PSU efficiency.

Anyone have some suggestions? I know there is that 82+ standard out there but it looks like some aren't living up to it.

Thanks for your time,
-Joe

Just off the top of my head, any of the Enermax Revolutions will probably have the highest efficency.

I have the same MB with a Q9550 and 2 HD4850s in CrossFire.

Running a Corsair TX650W which works great. Corsair makes great PSUs. Couldn't go wrong with them.

How do you like the Patriot RAM? Is it fast? I have been having problems with Corsair Dominator DDR2 PC8500 2x2GB and I'm thinking about trying something different.

Enermax PSUs have very high efficiency. I know that according to JonnyGuru, the Corsair 850TX has an efficiency of 85% at 520W.

Hmm, Newegg nor google is showing up with nothing less than 850w for the revolution. A bit excessive it seems. Is that the lowest option?

I haven't even bought the memory yet so I can't tell you my opinion. I chose it because of Tom's Hardware DDR2-800 shootout. When I checked the price I found it reasonably cheap (pushing $25 on some days). Can't exactly complain about that when it comes to higher performance memory.

I'll second the Corsair supplies. Just built a new computer with the Corsair 650 and have been very impressed. I was previously an OCZ guy, but will be using Corsair from now on.

All 80 PLUS Certified & Highly Recommended:

Corsair HX520 (+12V@40A@50C) [Modular] >>> $77@Provantage, I just checked.

BFG LS-550 (+12V@41A@40C)

Corsair 550VX (+12V@41A@50C)

PC P&C 610 (+12V@49A@40C)

Corsair HX620 (+12V@50A@50C) [Modular]

Check Provantage for lowest prices!

Last edited:
I love my PC Power and Cooling 610, ran my secondary pc in the sig with no problems at all.

Well if I'm getting a $400 optical drive and 120gb SSD, I sure don't want them destroyed because of a bad choice in PSU.

After alot more research and pointers from you guys I think I may have settled on this
Antec Signature SG650 650W due to it's stability and efficiency.

Who mentioned Antec?

Seems way overpriced and I doubt it is any better than Corsair.

Check out the Corsair reviews. They are in the hundreds of positive reviews at Newegg.

What convinced you to order the Antec?

Who mentioned Antec?

Check out the Corsair reviews. They are in the hundreds of positive reviews at Newegg.

Well, the Antec Signature series is very solid and got rave reviews on JG among other places. You pay top dollar for it, that's true. But it -is- a good PSU. That being said, the Corsairs are absolutely still good units.

I never trust any reviews on newegg or the like. There is no incentive for people to write valid things about the products and on top of that, how do you trust a random schmoe for an educated review? The systems is just overly susceptible to fanboizm so I don't trust it at all.

A pointer in a direction is still a direction even if you end up in a different town.

I chose the Antec because of the lack of ripple across all the rails and it's more efficient than the Corsair.
I'm not the biggest fan of modular. It's nice and all, cleans things up and serves it's purpose but it's an auxiliary priority in my book.
It's it's got it, great, if not, oh well.
And the Antec SG650 is indeed modular btw.

I never trust any reviews on newegg or the like. There is no incentive for people to write valid things about the products and on top of that, how do you trust a random schmoe for an educated review? The systems is just overly susceptible to fanboizm so I don't trust it at all.

A pointer in a direction is still a direction even if you end up in a different town.

I chose the Antec because of the lack of ripple across all the rails and it's more efficient than the Corsair.
I'm not the biggest fan of modular. It's nice and all, cleans things up and serves it's purpose but it's an auxiliary priority in my book.
It's it's got it, great, if not, oh well.
And the Antec SG650 is indeed modular btw.

Newegg reviews should be taken with a big grain of salt. They only begin to become some sort of a factor when you have hundred of them and they serve as a general indicator of what the masses think. Not when you have 10 reviews with 5 people complaining about DOAs.

You're right about the efficiency. The Corsair HX620 reaches about 82% whereas the Antec 650W hits 85% efficiency.

Who mentioned Antec?

The Antec Signature Series manufactured by Delta (famous for server PSU's) is an extreme example of just what can be done as far as construction quality, line & load regulation & ripple/noise suppression when cost and marketability are not primary concerns. These (SG650W & SG850W) Signature Series PSU's are Antec's "super-premium" offerings & are far more of a statement of Antec's commitment to quality, than an attempt to create another profit center.

Always Build with the Best & the Antec SG650 & SG850 certainly qualify!
Dave:)

It's possible to sort through the reviews at newegg and extract solid information about products.

I think it's awesome how Newegg lets people post their minds. :cool:

It's possible to sort through the reviews at newegg and extract solid information about products.

Not when it comes to power supplies. While you can find some solid info about cases, motherboards, hard drives, RAM, video cards, and other items in newegg user reviews, PSUs are the number one item that you should never trust or should take with a grain of salt with Newegg reviews.

Newegg customer reviews provide valuable information to the consumer. Regardless of what the product is.

It's a great format.

The more knowledge the better.

Newegg customer reviews provide valuable information to the consumer. Regardless of what the product is.

It's a great format.

The more knowledge the better.
Except few if any of the people on Newegg giving feedback know anything about PSUs, so most if not all of the info there is misleading at best and damaging at worst. When it comes to PSUs, any judgements should be based solely on the results of proper reviews such as those performed by HardOCP, JonnyGURU, and Bit-tech to name a few.

Not when it comes to power supplies. While you can find some solid info about cases, motherboards, hard drives, RAM, video cards, and other items in newegg user reviews, PSUs are the number one item that you should never trust or should take with a grain of salt with Newegg reviews.

I agree. Professional reviews are much more accurate and informative. Most people arbitrarily buy power supplies (I did it once with my older OCZ 700W) without giving it a second thought. The reasoning is usually that it should be a fairly high number that provides 'enough' power. Nevertheless, a lot of people have neither an understanding of how much power is 'enough' nor a complete grasp of the concepts of ripple, amperage, load, etc.

Back