Best/economical processor for old P67 motherboard?

Wag

[H]ard|Gawd
I want to give my friend a decent setup and I have an old P67 Extreme4. Unfortunately the 2600k I had died, so I'd like to replace it with something usable. I thought the motherboard was the problem so I purchased an H67 (that came with a G640) for $25. Just for the hell of it I put the G640 in the P67 and it posts.

I also have a Asus P5N-D/Q9550 setup, but it's a PITA to run with Win10 because it's Nforce 750i based, and not UEFI. I can't even get a SATA III drive to run faster than SATA I, even with a PCI-E controller card.

Would it be better just to give her the Q9550 setup, the P67 Extreme4/G640 setup, buy a better CPU for the P67 or something else entirely?

I already put way too much money into trying to figure out what the problem is (plus Win10 OEM which is locked into the Q9550). I don't want to invest that much more money into old hardware.

If she's not planning on heavy multitasking, that G640 might actually feel snappier in browsing the web and such.
Then there's the Q9550 mobo issues you mentioned which might wind up being unresolvable due to the age of the platform and how recent Win10 is.
Honestly the only thing going for the Q9550 is the Windows license, nothing else... I'd recommend getting a new Windows license for the P67 system and call it a day.
If she finds it to be too sluggish, she can always pop in a 'real' Intel CPU later on, while the Q9550 platform does not provide any upgrade path...

I have

Celeron g1610 cpu socket 1155

Available practically new used a few months for a budget build ended up selling all other parts but cpu has heat sink and fan!

Why would I do that? G1610 and G640 performance are practically identical.

Yeah, I'll probably give her the G640, especially since the Q9550 has no UEFI/AHCI support. Still, I'll have to use the GTX 295 I have from the Q9550 setup. I wanted to give her something
she could play a few games on. I doubt she'll be able to do any of that on an G640/GTX 295 setup. Especially with the old 2560x1440 display I gave her.

I still have to buy 8GB of DDR3 to install Win10 on the P67.

It's too bad decent Sandy Bridge/Ivy Bridge cpus are still so expensive. (2500k ~$85 on eBay) I'm just wondering if there's a non-"k" chip in the ~$50 range that would be a good improvement over the G640. Is it too much to ask for I'll be able to pick up a Quad Core LGA1155 for that price?

Will the G640 setup be enough so she can play games on a browser using the Nvidia share feature from my end?

Last edited:
Just was throwing it out there not familiar with that other chip! Goodluck

Check out a i5-2400 if you really want to boost it but, pointless if its for a web surfer. Gaming is another story though, 2500k all day.

I have a g2020 and that chip does great for web surfing. Even 1080p h264/5 playback via onboard works well. I'd honestly give her the h67 setup since she won't need a video card.

I got a 2500k (@ 4.5GHz) and and there's an old GTX 295 in there. Decent PC for little investment.

I got a 2500k (@ 4.5GHz) and and there's an old GTX 295 in there. Decent PC for little investment.

To clarify - did you get her a 2500k? Otherwise I would throw the G640 in there and call it a day. I have a system with a G1610 and it works just fine as an everyday machine

Yeah, I bought a 2500k. She wanted to do some gaming so I thought it would be a wise investment for $80.

You are not losing anything by not being able to run drives at sata III speeds. There is little difference to none in real life for a system with ssd between sata 2 and 3. If the games she would play are single threaded the Celeron would have been the better choice.

Back