Best DS flash cart?

Azureth

Supreme [H]ardness
Since R4 has been gone I'm in need of something new, works with DSi as well.

i just got an acekard 2.1i and it works pretty well. just make sure you get the right firmware, first one i tried didnt work but some special one on the site worked just fine.

Acekard!
I would say CycloDS but it's not compatible with the DSi yet... they say they are working on it but not making promises...

pirating games

or for playing legit backup copies of games you own, it allows you to have one cart full of all the games you own, no need to carry around 30 little cartridges, just the one flash card and you are golden.

or for playing legit backup copies of games you own, it allows you to have one cart full of all the games you own, no need to carry around 30 little cartridges, just the one flash card and you are golden.

Yeah and I have a 12 inch dick.

Yeah and I have a 12 inch dick.
You must get all sort of stares when you pass through those new airport x-ray machines ;)
So these flash carts are basically empty DS cartridges that have more capacity than a standard one?

If this is even what you consider legit, I assume you have your own method of dumping the game from the cartridge to that device.

They're also good for some portable emulation like Doom, NES, and SNES (though the SNES one can be slow depending on the game). Also worth mentioning is Still Alive (I think that's what it's called) a fan made 2D Portal game and it's pretty fun. I also have a paint program called Colors that works really well for what it is.

Yeah I think I remember these. A few years ago I was looking at picking up a DS for emulating NES games. I think one of these cards were required.

So they only support DS and DS lite, not DSi or DS XL?

Yeah I think I remember these. A few years ago I was looking at picking up a DS for emulating NES games. I think one of these cards were required.

So they only support DS and DS lite, not DSi or DS XL?

No, there are DSi flashcarts, there are some limiations on DSi features it can play (DSiWare?!)....
Acekard 2i
iEdge
EZ Flash Vi
iTouch 2
R4i
DS TTi
M3i Zero
Supercard DS one-i

As for the poster about backing up your own games. Yep, you can do that! Need the right software, thats all. I've copied some of my own games and even game saves off the original cart.

As for Emulation, the DS isn't too bad. some emulators I know of are for...
NES
Gameboy/Gameboy Color
Genesis
SNES
Neo Geo
PC Engine
Scumm VM

EDIT: I don't own a DSi so won't say anything about what one works the best. DSi=Fail without GBA slot. heh

I can't believe you guys and your bashing... this is seriously a legit use.

If you actualy owned a DS with 20+ games, you'd realize what a convience it is to have your entire library in a single cart.

I can't believe you guys and your bashing... this is seriously a legit use.

If you actualy owned a DS with 20+ games, you'd realize what a convience it is to have your entire library in a single cart.

The question is how are you making backups of your games?

Here's a question...I just bought a DSi XL...I want to buy an AceKard to use with it for SNES emulation purposes. Anyone have any ideas where I can order one? It needs to be an online store that ships to APO (USPS Priority as a shipping option.)

Used the CycloDS for years now, great support, always new firmware updates adding compatibility and new features. A new GUI face-lift is in the works at the moment.

Here's what it can emulate:

Amstrad - CPC (1)
Apple - II Series (2)
Apple - Macintosh (1)
Arcade - Multiple System (2)
Arcade - Single System (10)
Atari - 2600 (1)
Atari - ST (1)
Atari 8 bit (1)
Bandai - WonderSwan / WonderWitch (1)
Chip-8 (2)
Coleco - ColecoVision (1)
Commodore - 64 (1)
Dragon - Dragon 32/64 (1)
Gameking (1)
GCE - Vectrex (1)
Java (1)
Microsoft - DOS/Windows OS (1)
Microsoft - MSX (3)
Microsoft - MSX2 (1)
NEC - Turbo Grafx 16 (1)
Nintendo - GameBoy (2)
Nintendo - GameBoy Advance (1)
Nintendo - NES (3)
Nintendo - SNES (3)
Scumm VM (1)
Sega - Genesis / Sega CD / 32X (2)
Sega - Master System / Game Gear (4)
Sinclair - ZX / Spectrum / QL Series (4)
SNK - Neo Geo (1)
SNK - Neo Geo Pocket (1)
Texas Instruments - TI-xx Series (1)
ZX Spectrum (1)

http://www.zophar.net/consoles/nds.html

I've used SnemulDS and NesDS, they both work pretty good.

A really sweet little PC game called Knytt Stories has been ported over and works great and the Portal game mentioned above is a lot of fun.

http://rodrigoroman.com/rrc2soft/nds_dsknytt.html

Here's a question...I just bought a DSi XL...I want to buy an AceKard to use with it for SNES emulation purposes. Anyone have any ideas where I can order one? It needs to be an online store that ships to APO (USPS Priority as a shipping option.)

Bah, no one answered. I ordered one from DigiMartz, I just hope it isn't a scam site.

AceKard 2i is currently the best, most compatible. You need to outfit it with the latest open source 3rd party firmware, AKAIO, which is currently at 1.7.1.

CycloDS is also great, but if I recall won't work on a DSi or DSi LL/XL.

I just wish either of them could play GBA games without a Slot 2 cart. Anyone know a patch/upgrade for AKAIO that allows this? I'm interested in playing the Mother 3 fan translation on my actual DSLite, but I don't have the slot2 cards. The emulator for my phone is great video-wise but the sound is slow...not a good thing when it comes to playing a game that has "tap to the rhythm to speed your attack" sections.

Don't forget that flash carts need a transflash/microSD card! Often sellers offer a bundle. Even 2gb or 4gb will hold a MASSIVE amount of DS/DSi games, so it shouldn't be expensive.

I recently got into this as I had amassed over 50 DS carts over the past 2 or 3 years.

I bought an XL for Dragon Quest IX

Anyhow, I bought an AceKard 2i for about $15 and a $20 8GB and it's been a real joy to work with.

I've downloaded .NDS files of all of the games I legally own and a I put DSnesEM or something on there, SNES emulator -- it works kinda... kinda.

The NES emulator works a bit better

DSOrganize doesn't work with AceKard.

Makes it SUPER easy to backup and edit your .SAV files too

The current best one is actually Supercard DSTWO, though I own an Acekard 2.1. The DSTWO has a CPU in the flash cart itself which allows it more possibilities than other flash carts such as GBA emulation without a slot-2 device. SNES emulation and a video player is in the works(The current SNES emulator for DS...isn't great), and they're going to release an SDK later this month so homebrew authors can take advantage of the extra processing power.

And these carts do have legitimate uses. I use mine often to read ebooks via 'DSLibris' which supports the epub format. Much cheaper and more multipurpose than buying a dedicated ebook reader like a Kindle. They can also play music and videos with 'Moonshell'. It's fantastic for non-DS games too, especially NES, Gameboy, and Gameboy Color.

The current best one is actually Supercard DSTWO, though I own an Acekard 2.1. The DSTWO has a CPU in the flash cart itself which allows it more possibilities than other flash carts such as GBA emulation without a slot-2 device. SNES emulation and a video player is in the works(The current SNES emulator for DS...isn't great), and they're going to release an SDK later this month so homebrew authors can take advantage of the extra processing power.

And these carts do have legitimate uses. I use mine often to read ebooks via 'DSLibris' which supports the epub format. Much cheaper and more multipurpose than buying a dedicated ebook reader like a Kindle. They can also play music and videos with 'Moonshell'. It's fantastic for non-DS games too, especially NES, Gameboy, and Gameboy Color.

Dammit, so I got the wrong kart, particularly since SNES emulation was the main reason I was interested in the first place.

And GBA emulation too?

Dammit!

Where can I buy the DSTWO?

I don't think SNES emulation is complete and from what I understand GBA emulation is kinda spotty

Can anyone confirm? I'm also an AK2 owner. If all these features worked I'd buy one as I'd like to use DSorganize

SNES emulation has never been complete, I think the author gave up years ago. The DS is not so powerful, emulators need to be extraordinarily well programmed and most guys aren't willing to go that extra mile.

The PSP is way more complete in terms of emulation because the extra power means programmers don't have to work so hard and their programs can be more slapped together.

I thought DSOrganize development was abandoned years ago as well.

SNES emulation has never been complete, I think the author gave up years ago. The DS is not so powerful, emulators need to be extraordinarily well programmed and most guys aren't willing to go that extra mile.

The PSP is way more complete in terms of emulation because the extra power means programmers don't have to work so hard and their programs can be more slapped together.

I thought DSOrganize development was abandoned years ago as well.

The SNEmulDS author didn't really give up but got very busy with other projects, it was going pretty decent on alot of games.

If all you really want is GBA and SNES then get a PSP! If you want it at home, I got a GBA Player for the gamecube with a EZ Flash IV flashcart, and for my SNES I got the SNES Power Pak Flashcart.
I do own many games for my systems so no worries there.

So sad but the PSP is better to own for the emulation than its own library! The only title I'm waiting for is the next God of War, Dante's inferno hasn't been too bad soo far.

Damn that SNES PowerPak is $120.

Much cheaper and easier to use an HTPC and a software emulator!

Back