Best download manager?

HKocher

Weaksauce
I was using Real Downloader, (not great, but it worked for me) but I recently formatted my drive and lost it, now I can't find it online to download.

Don't need anything fancy. Something free or very cheap, NOT loaded with spyware, want to be able to pause the downloads and resume later. Something that can handle a bunch of downloads (or at least put them in queue) at a time if necessary.

Oh and if you are downloading multiple files with the same name, I'd like it to create a new name for the second file instead of having to type one in myself.

Thanks!

Reget 1.8 Pro is the best ever made d-: Hehe, seriously though, I loved it and hated their new versions that suddenly took a turn onto the bloated buggy road that the infamous- er, famous getright took that made me stop using it. Anyway, since my current browser (Opera) has built in resume capabilities and I'm now on broadband, so most of my downloads finish too quickly for me to get very worried about anyway, I no longer really use it. That was more for when I had IE since IE can't be relied on to resume except when it feels like it (which was never when I did only when I didn't.) In fact, lately I've been using WGet (*nix tool, but ported to windows, dos, and every other os out there) for those more pesky downloads, which is usually when I want to download a whole nest of files and then I just simply use the options meant to help people mirror.

Reget is commercial but cheap, so you may or may not want to even bother (besides, good luck finding the older versions.) Wget, however, is a GNU software, so it's absolutely free. Of course, wget is more for the experts almost and doesn't even have a GUI.

EDIT: Btw, I looked at this stuff about leechget though I'm not really in the market for download managers. It sounds like, for the most part, it has decent features, but, ugh, they are saying "Microsoft Outlook like interface" and "Microsoft Internet Explorer interface" like those are good things! d-: I'm not sure whether it has some of the more advanced features like being able to set the referrer tag or not (required by some sites as a sort of safety precation to prevent people from linking straight to downloads on other sites and claiming them as their own though everyone downloads from the other server.)

Originally posted by lil layzie
I second that. I like it better than GetRight and the others IMO.

Isn't it funny how getright used to be the best? Er, well, about 4 or 5 years ago I guess. I actually bought it back then I liked it so much, and if you could see all the opensource, gnu, and otherwise free software I'm running (or how light my wallet is) you'd be amazed at that. d-: But over the years they just started adding skins, bugs, and other bloat type things and I haven't really seen any new REAL features added last time I looked. I remember how it used to BSOD and crash me so much back when I first updated it. *Sigh* Oh well.

BTW, you probably aren't interested in something like WGet, but, just in case you are, I've discovered some Win32 GUIs for it on sourceforge. I haven't even tried any since I'm such a console person though.

GetRight seems to work fine for me. Haven't had any problems with it at all. DAP used to give me all sorts of trouble with corrupted downloads though.

Originally posted by mosin
This is especially good if you like endless spam from the originators of the program.

Just get a throwaway e-mail address. :)

Originally posted by Lake
Just get a throwaway e-mail address. :)
I have eight of them. ;)
Originally posted by [TQ]
that doesnt fix spyware
Use something besides OE. I use PocoMail. It doesn't like "funny" e-mail. Thunderbird ain't bad either.

I have been using FreshDownload for a while, and I haven't seen any spyware or ad's or anything... Am i blind?

Originally posted by Cheetoz
I have been using FreshDownload for a while, and I haven't seen any spyware or ad's or anything... Am i blind?

Nope. I run it along with Spybot and Ad-aware.

Back