Best DLP TV \ projector for under 2000?

neokeelo

[H]ard|Gawd
Im thinking of either getting a DLP TV or projector. Will be used for DVDs and HDTV.

I see alot of projectors with 1024x768 resolution on ebay that are under 1500.00 some of which even come with an extra bulb.

My room is about 18x25 ft As for tvs, I have heard the new line of 1080p TVs are coming out soon and that will drive down the price of the 1280x720 RPTVs that are out now.
I am confused on if I should get a RPTV or a projector.

Any ideas?

projectorcentral.com is a good resource. I like the InFocus line of projectors myself. I ahve an x1 and am itching to upgrade to a 4805 or 5000

While the infocus products do have good performance I have had problem with reliability in a few customers locations. I tend to spec Optoma projectors if possible as they have better performance and reliability records atleast from personal experience. Check out the H27 or H31 in your price range, they are competive with the Infocus line spec wise in the same price range.

If you're looking at sub-$2000 you might run into slow color wheels and rainbow effects with DLP based projectors. Sadly with RPTV's in that price range you're looking at either much the same or a system lacking features, resolutions or inputs.

Do some research at this point -- I researched for nearly a year before making my projector purchase and ended up going with an LCD based unit, the Sanyo PLV-Z2. As has already been stated, Projector Central is an excellent resource from providing reviews to allowing you to easily compare features that company websites aren't always forthcoming with.

At this point I would look at the Sanyo PLV-Z2 ($1100 brand new) or PLV-Z3 ($1745 brand new) for the best bang for your buck under $2000.

Alot of people will instantly tell you to stay away from LCD based projectors because of an effect called screen-door - which usually occurs when ultra-white backgrounds are apparent, such as the cloning scene in Star Wars Episode Two. I can however tell you not only from numerous reviews on the subject, but also personal experience... that both the Z2 and Z3 do not suffer from this defect.

Furthermore, another issue common with LCD projectors is the lack of contrast ratio when compared to DLP based projectors in the same price range. This is where the Sanyo's really shine -- the Z2 boasts 1300:1 and the Z3 a 2000:1 ratio.

Z3 Specs: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sanyo-PLV-Z3.htm

Z2 Specs: http://www.projectorcentral.com/Sanyo-PLV-Z2.htm

I'm probably coming off as a salesman here so I'll stop... =) I just really love my projector...

$1100 + $155 (cieling mount) + $75 (25' DVI-I) + $36.50 (25' Component) + $14.25 (25' Svideo)

$1305.75 (US) for a 100" 16:9 HDTV capable setup... not bad I'd say, hmm?

You also have to figure in a screen; some retailers linked from ProjectorCentral will throw in a screen for a hundred or so more. I built mine for a little over $100, however you can buy them premade for anywhere between $400 and $4000.

Here's a picture of the screen at least:

http://www.starbearer.net/gallery/theater/Projector_ScreenWithBorderAndPaint

Well first of all I'd say get a projector. Everyone that's seen mine has been completely amazed (especially the ladies ;) ). Everyone was used to seeing them in sportsbars and had no idea that they could look anything like this. The only thing you have to worry about is light. Which is why I have a crt tv underneath for daylight viewing

With that said I got an optoma H30. I searched for about a month and that was the one I decided to go with due to the fast color wheel and I found the thing new for $1000 which was an incredible price for the time.

With this projector I have had many many people watch it and no one has complained about rainbows. I myself don't care for lcd projectors too much due to there slow response time, screendoor effect and the main thing for me the poor blacks, but you will get a higher res for the same price you'd get a dlp model.

What I would suggest you do is keep searching and find out what projector best suits you, and go check them out if you can. I would spend the extra money on a good screen as a screen could last you through many projector upgrades. I'd reccomend the Dalite high contrast might white with csr. The viewing angle is good with this screen and it adds a lil punch to the picture while improving blacks slightly.

I'm a proud owner of a Z2. The Z2 in the low teens market is still the way to go. As a PJ...it roxor! I probably spent 50 hours researching that damn PJ before I pulled the trigger. No matter what any DLP !!!!!! said the Z2/AE500 were untouchable in the sub $2k market. In the $2k-$3k was own by Sony. For the people who bought a 4805, they may have gotten DLP but gimped resolution. I think they gave up way to much for the holy grail (black level) that the CRT's still own. But that is just my personal oppinion.

In the upper teens market I have seen the AE700 and the Z3 and would take the AE700 over the Z3. Panasonic seems to have fixed their issues from the 500 series and it seems to be a few notches ahead of the Z3. But still both are great PJs.

As for PJ central...they are only good for specs. Their reviews are for shit since it has been proven time and time again they have to be taking bribes to skew their reivews. To them if you don't buy a Stewart Screen and a Runco PJ :rolleyes: you are not worth their time.

If you are willing to spend more than $3k then I would say go RPTV since they don't require the special lightning situations a PJ needs and you still get a nice bitchn large screen.

-tReP

P.S.....Z2 on the ceiling...

ht_room1_forthread.jpg

I pity the f00 who measures his screen in inches :D

I have heard people talk about rainbows, but haven't really seen any in mine. occasionally in sports. I am looking at LCD's too. seens ome in person and they look fairly nice. the z3.

IDversusEGO said:
I have heard people talk about rainbows, but haven't really seen any in mine. occasionally in sports. I am looking at LCD's too. seens ome in person and they look fairly nice. the z3.

Rainbows are not guaranteed. Some people do and some people don't. The faster the wheel gets and the more segments they have the less people see it. But as long as there is a spinning color wheel, SOMEBODY will see it. With the X1 DLP projector I had a major headache within about 30 minute of viewing which put me in bed for a day. I tried again once more to see if it was a fluke...and another day in bed. Until 3-chip DLP's come in a reasonable price range, I cannot use DLP. I still have a hard time in meetings at work w/ all the DLP projectors that people have; but it isnt so bad with the 6x wheels.

That is why when people ask "Should I get a DLP?", I say "not until you watch a movie on it". If you got a wife, make sure she watches one too. It is the only way to know. If you don't get a the headache...do what you want. If you do...then you are relegated to CRT or LCD.

-tReP

butterfliesrpretty said:
Well first of all I'd say get a projector. Everyone that's seen mine has been completely amazed (especially the ladies ;) ). Everyone was used to seeing them in sportsbars and had no idea that they could look anything like this. The only thing you have to worry about is light. Which is why I have a crt tv underneath for daylight viewing

With that said I got an optoma H30. I searched for about a month and that was the one I decided to go with due to the fast color wheel and I found the thing new for $1000 which was an incredible price for the time.

With this projector I have had many many people watch it and no one has complained about rainbows. I myself don't care for lcd projectors too much due to there slow response time, screendoor effect and the main thing for me the poor blacks, but you will get a higher res for the same price you'd get a dlp model.

What I would suggest you do is keep searching and find out what projector best suits you, and go check them out if you can. I would spend the extra money on a good screen as a screen could last you through many projector upgrades. I'd reccomend the Dalite high contrast might white with csr. The viewing angle is good with this screen and it adds a lil punch to the picture while improving blacks slightly.

Just another point of view. I personally wouldn't spend a $0.05 on a screen if I could get away with it. Why? Because I would rather dump that money into the PJ. Unless you are willing to spend a small fortune on a screen the bang for $ is pretty piss poor. You can't do this by comparing screens side by side. You need to do this by using one screen...wait a week then do another screen. You will be suprised. If you really want a "professional" screen I recommend buying the material and mounting it to your own frame ($<300). Otherwise drop the $4000 for silverstar and be done with it :D <-- That is my dream screen....dr00l. Maybe i'll get it perforated for another $1k-$2k.

Screen companies are out to make money. They also need to make a HUGE margin on a screen in order to support their low volumes. Buying material through a third party (like AVS) can greatly reduce your costs. Then you just need some patience, tools, and time to make a very nice frame.

Just make sure you stay away from the mediocrity zone in screens. You basically pay 4x-5x as much as the $200 screen for little improvement. Either go high $$$ or go cheap. You would be suprised how far $50 can take you on a screen. Look at mine..can you tell it is just made of 1x2's and blackout cloth from JoAnne's? The Dalite recommended above is good too...if you just get the material. It is not worth $600 for a frame. You can also just build your own mount for ~$25 too. Look at mine. If you bought a $4k PJ..then yeah, buy a $200 mount. But you are buying a cheap PJ...it is like buying monster cables for a $50 Walmart DVD player. Save your money for what is important.

As for screendoor...since the Z2, only people with better than 20/20 vision at a range of 6' could tell. The H30 filled a very nasty void at the time...but now LCD is very much a contender in that market. I almost consider screen door moot w/ todays PJ's. The H30 was the PJ I almost bought...but I waited because the Z2 was close on the horizon and decide to wait because I wanted HD resolution.

-tReP

I get compliments aon my screen all the time. It is made with Parkland Plastics, available at Lowes/Home Depot. I think it was $14 for a sheet. then built the frame out of wood. I agree with above, unless you spend big time $$ on a screen, there are tons of options out there that do fine for not much money. check out AVSforum for tons of info.

I have been looking into getting the Optoma H31 as well. You can pick it up for $1089 with a free 100" screen from Visualapex.com. I still haven't decided on the audio components of my home theater though.

Go Yamaha for your Receiver, you won't go wrong; I would however recommend you buy the RX series instead of the YHT stuff as the RX series is actually made by Yamaha instead of Korean subcontractors working under the Yamaha name.

As for screens; As has been said above building your own screen for professional results can be done rather easily and inexpensively... do some research and it'll pay off in the end.

For reference, my screen frame is made out of 1x3's and my chosen screen material was artist grade canvas with a coating of extremely-light gray custom paint.

IDversusEGO said:
I get compliments aon my screen all the time. It is made with Parkland Plastics, available at Lowes/Home Depot. I think it was $14 for a sheet. then built the frame out of wood. I agree with above, unless you spend big time $$ on a screen, there are tons of options out there that do fine for not much money. check out AVSforum for tons of info.
Thats what i'm going with as well, seems to be highly regarded for a diy screen. Picking up two of them pretty soon, one to test and use as-is and the other to experiment with ;)

Before this I had a piece of hardboard that I had painted with Behr Silver Screen paint. it did well, but was a little dark. I found the Parkland to be more to my taste for all around use. Video games look way better on the parkland.

I used a black-out screen on my previous Sony 1270 crt projector and it worked well. I happened to get a great deal on my current screen from my employer when they decided to redo thier showroom. Stewart Luxus Deluxe fixed wall screen with StudioTek130 material at 114" screen for 100 was way to good to pass up.

I agree. My friend uses blackout material. it gave very much the same picture as my Behr painted screen. the Parkland is brighter, but your black levels suffer a little.

IDversusEGO said:
I agree. My friend uses blackout material. it gave very much the same picture as my Behr painted screen. the Parkland is brighter, but your black levels suffer a little.

The ultimate issue for LCD's is black level versus brightness. Bang for buck LCD has DLP beat 2 to 1 in terms of resolution. However DLP's own the black level market until the D5 panels start putting LCD in the 2000:1 calibrated CR range. This will be a fine day indeed for me since I am VERY rainbow sensitive.

So if you watch alot of dark movies then a gray screen will be better. If you watch lots of bright movies then a white screen will be better. The movies I watch have lots of saturated colors which is another reason I chose LCD over DLP and also have a white screen. Watching "House of the Flying Daggers" was totally outstanding. The forest scene with that lime green was gorgeous. So the blackout screen worked well for me.

On a side note, those guys sure give Shakespear a run for his money for a bitch'n tragedy.

-tReP

Back