Best distro for K6-2 400 256mb

bobcrotch

[H]ard|Gawd
Well for now untill i can find some matching P3s for my dualy rig i'm stuck with old hardware. I currently have fedora loaded on this machine wich is way overkill. I'm still somewhat of a n00b when it comes to linux but what i've learned is that i don't really need a GUI to run IPtables and NAT. I've been hearing a lot about gentoo and how you basicly custom tailor it for your machine. Would this be a good solution to optomize for this 'commodity hardware' ?

I was thinking also about running smoothwall but i'm still in my learning process. So i would rather learn IPtables and such before i deploy something thats somewhat simple as smoothwall.

debian debian de bi an

Gentoo might work out if you are interested in learning about it and want to use it on another system later. If you just want to get a system up without a gui to run as a firewall, give debian a look.

Ok debian you say eh? I obviously know about it but never used it. So whats the big deal with gentoo anyhow?

i use gentoo, and i've never used debian, so i can't really say if one is better than the other.

i have a router box now that was set-up with gentoo, and it wasn't too hard once i started reading up on it instead of guessing. i was using shorewall and that has to be one of the greatest things since sliced bread, but i needed more functionality than what was included (i.e. have it be a usable computer).

Back