Best DDR2 PC8500 2*2gb

It depends on what hardware you are using as some memory might not work so well with some motherboards. Also depends what OS you're using.

From what I've read on [H], some people with the Asus MF's were having some minor trouble with 2x2gb corsair 8500c5df.

I'm pretty new to the memory oc scene but isn't it fairly easy to get pc8500 from the half price pc6400 kit of gskill (or any memory for that matter)?

I'm pretty new to the memory oc scene but isn't it fairly easy to get pc8500 from the half price pc6400 kit of gskill (or any memory for that matter)?

No, generally not without pumping serious voltage into them (and in my opinion, even with a 120mm pointing at em, I wouldn't want more than 2.2 for 24/7 use).

An example of this scaling with some $72 DDR2-800. (thanks eclipse for the bandwidth :) )
scaling.png

Now obviously RAM isn't all the same, but this is an example of a random DDR2-800 kit. As you can see it requires a fair amount of voltage to get well up there (not to mention the time it takes to get a solid overclock).

Especially when G.Skill has 4gb (2x2GB) kit of DDR2-1000 for $100 (these will easily surpass 1066), it just don't make sense to save ~$30 when you'll be able to run 1:1 without headaches throughout the most common 400-500FSB range. In the end, you may get lucky and have a DDR2-800 kit willing to scale to 1066 without requiring any additional voltage, but I just don't see the logic when ~$30 buys you a much more capable kit.

Back