Best DDR 3 Video Card for Existing System

Hello All,

Looking at getting some information / feedback on what GPU might be the best for this existing system since the board is nearly brand new and its already got 64gb DDR3 ram and the other components are fairly new as well.

Removing (3) GTX 780 Ti cards that were running in SLi and going to a recommended single GPU.

Current Specs:

CPU INTEL|CORE I7 4960X 3.6G 15M R
ASUS Rampage IV Black Edition motherboard
EVGA Geforce 780Ti's x3
PSU SILVERSTONE | ST1500 1500W RT
MEM 8x8G|G,SKILL F3-2133C9Q2-64GZH
Corsair 900D Extreme Case

What is the most powerful GPU you would recommend for this system?

Thanks,

DC

For gaming? What resolution are you working with?

Off the top of my head :
2060 super
1080ti

Something in there. If you are talking 4K a 3060ti or 3070 max. Your CPU is going to leave too many frames on the table beyond these IMO.

1080 Ti is a good card for x79 and was what I used with my 3930k but a 3060 Ti would also be great imo depending on your budget.

Last edited:
For gaming? What resolution are you working with?

Off the top of my head :
2060 super
1080ti

Something in there. If you are talking 4K a 3060ti or 3070 max. Your CPU is going to leave too many frames on the table beyond these IMO.
Thanks, my monitor is an Gigabyte AORUS FV43U 43" 16:9 4K Quantum Dot 144 Hz HDR VA
its awesome...now can I still run those RTX cards with only running DDR 3 Memory? Isn't there a bottleneck there?

1080 Ti is a good card for x79 and was what I used with my 3930k but a 3060 Ti would also be great imo depending on your budget.
Thanks, maybe I will go with that 3060 Ti if the price is right...trying to get something that will be better than my current laptop Razor RTX 2070 Max Q in this desktop build and notice a big difference.

I would recommend a card with a higher ram count. A 1080ti or 2080ti. Should not bottle neck too much.

Thanks, my monitor is an Gigabyte AORUS FV43U 43" 16:9 4K Quantum Dot 144 Hz HDR VA
its awesome...now can I still run those RTX cards with only running DDR 3 Memory? Isn't there a bottleneck there?

Devil's advocate....but you've got a very nice 4k panel. At 4K your CPU isn't going to be nearly as much of a bottleneck as it would be at lower resolutions. You could probably go high end last gen, 6900XT, 3080/Ti/90/Ti and things would be acceptable then work on upgrading the rest of your system.

Your motherboard and CPU support PCI-E 3.0, so any modern video card will work in your PC. You will run into a CPU bottleneck with the most powerful cards, but you will still reap the benefit. You can always DSR up to 8K to remove more stress from the CPU. As Chassepot mentioned, you can bring the video card forward with a system upgrade whenever you decide to move on from your old CPU/Mobo/RAM setup.

Thanks everyone for your support.. I think I'm going to plan to upgrade everything but the 900D case lol... shame I love this Rampage Board omg...so high quality...so long LGA2011... 😁

I also will be selling the Razor system in my signature...The Razor is great but I'm hungry for more 😁

even if you get a card that has a bottleneck now, you'll still have better performance than what you got and when you finally get enough money to upgrade your platform you won't have to worry about getting a new gpu and you'll get a massive boost.

it's what i've been doing for a while now. one cycle i get best gpu i can afford and then next time i get best cpu/ram. kind of a bunny hop upgrade schedule. been working out pretty good. always try to future proof the best possible

Hey Guys,

I ended up buying the ASUS TUF Gaming NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090 OC Edition, for an extra few hundred figured the extra memory will be useful in all kinds of applications. That 4090 card won't be available for any decent price probably till mid or end of next year, figured this one will last me awhile. Thanks everyone for all your help 👍

Nice!

Some benchmarks I've seen were comparing ddr4-2133 ,3200, up to 6000. Most games didn't show much difference from ram speed. The best thing would be a cpu oc!

Back