Best currently available phone for recording video?

Which phone?

• Pixel 3XL

Votes: 5 38.5%
  • Galaxy S9+

Votes: 1 7.7%
  • Other? (explain)

Votes: 7 53.8%

• Total voters

GhengisKhan

Supreme [H]ardness
Since my other thread shot down buying a RED phone, I was wondering what you all thought the best phone for my use-case would be.
I enjoy photography a lot, which has me leaning towards a Pixel 3.
I am also a skateboarder, and film other skateboarders as well, so video is just as important, if not slightly more so. This has me eyeballing the Galaxy S9+ (for the 960fps slo-mo, and 4k-30 w/stabilization).

I am switching to Verizon, so this will be a new phone with payment plan.

It's a hard call. Of the two, the Pixel 3 XL -- the audio isn't as great, but I'd put more trust in its output. The S9+'s 960FPS slow-motion is somewhat overrated as you have to either hope it detects motion in the right area or else time it perfectly.

You might also want to consider the iPhone XR or XS if you're fine with iOS. Like it or not, iPhones are frequently considered the gold standard for video capture between the overall capture quality and their approaches to stabilization (smooth, but not unnaturally so). They can capture more dynamic range than many phones if you record at 30FPS or less, and they can capture 4K 60FPS video as well.

How soon do you need it? There are some rumors about the Nokia 9 having a pretty substantial camera setup, but obviously that has to be taken with a big grain of salt.

I'm not an iPhone fan at all but I would have to agree, if I wanted someing specifically for video I would trust an iPhone.

iPhone is a definite no-go. I got an iPad mini for free, and I dislike the entire iOS set-up. And everything else I have is already tied into the whole Googleverse.

I like the Pixel series for this task, the OIS/EIS combination works wonders for me. Audio input like suggested above is not good enough, so I am also looking for a reliable external mic that works with Android.

Thinking about it, is there a particular reason you're opposed to an actual camera? Something small like the Canon Powershot G7X MKII? Its probably one of most popular compact "vlogging" camera's out right now so its video quality is easy to see, plus its going to take great pictures. They make microphones that attach to it and plug right in. You won't have to worry about non-expandable storage and just have an easy to use SD card.

Just a thought. They're ~$530.

Thinking about it, is there a particular reason you're opposed to an actual camera? Something small like the Canon Powershot G7X MKII? Its probably one of most popular compact "vlogging" camera's out right now so its video quality is easy to see, plus its going to take great pictures. They make microphones that attach to it and plug right in. You won't have to worry about non-expandable storage and just have an easy to use SD card.

Just a thought. They're ~$530.
I already have a Nikon DSLR. I have my phone with me 24/7, and some times I go skateboarding in some not so nice parts of town. Carrying a big, fancy looking camera + bag is probably not the best idea.

Is the Oneplus 6T worth a look?
Verizon doesn't carry the Oneplus yet, and I am not going to be buying a phone outright. I will be doing a payment plan.

I already have a Nikon DSLR. I have my phone with me 24/7, and some times I go skateboarding in some not so nice parts of town. Carrying a big, fancy looking camera + bag is probably not the best idea.

Gotcha. Though, the one I mentioned is real small, not a DSLR.

Is the Oneplus 6T worth a look?

OnePlus has never been and still is not top tier with the camera/video.

Pixel or Samsung is your best bet if you are only looking at Android.

Pixel 3/XL has the best camera and most reviews have the iPhone X/XS/Max as the best video.

If you just want to use the phone primarily for recording good quality video, get a VS995 aka the LG V20 for Verizon. You can find them on eBay and some other places for well under $200, removable battery which comes in handy if you have a few charged and ready to go for video recording sessions on the go (or just use an external battery back nowadays I suppose, a good 20,000 mAh one is like $20-30 these days). Also: it has a microSD slot which of course allows you to be able to record a lot more footage - it has 64GB internal (about 53GB available after a factory reset) but if you're planning on doing 1080p or even 4K recording for extended periods using a decent microSD card rated UHS-1 minimum is highly recommended.

Also: the V20 supports manual video recording mode so you get a lot more control over the various aspects of the recording process, and the AOP mics in the LG V20 = the best audio recording you're going to manage on such a device. The Pixel 3? iPhones? They can't do what the V20 is capable of in terms of audio recording, not even close. There are just too many things available in terms of adjustments including the bitrates, obviously the resolution, and many other aspects that make the V20 still relevant to this day.

There's absolutely no reason to be forking over $700+ for a smartphone just to do video recording (as a primary use), it's insanely stupid to waste such money on those devices when the V20 is a highly viable option for $200 or less.

(yes I realize the OP said it was going to be a new phone but even so, I'd say get a V20 and be done with it and save some cash in the long run) :D

Last edited by a moderator:
If you just want to use the phone primarily for recording good quality video, get a VS995 aka the LG V20 for Verizon. You can find them on eBay and some other places for well under $200, removable battery which comes in handy if you have a few charged and ready to go for video recording sessions on the go (or just use an external battery back nowadays I suppose, a good 20,000 mAh one is like $20-30 these days). Also: it has a microSD slot which of course allows you to be able to record a lot more footage - it has 64GB internal (about 53GB available after a factory reset) but if you're planning on doing 1080p or even 4K recording for extended periods using a decent microSD card rated UHS-1 minimum is highly recommended.

Also: the V20 supports manual video recording mode so you get a lot more control over the various aspects of the recording process, and the AOP mics in the LG V20 = the best audio recording you're going to manage on such a device. The Pixel 3? iPhones? They can't do what the V20 is capable of in terms of audio recording, not even close. There are just too many things available in terms of adjustments including the bitrates, obviously the resolution, and many other aspects that make the V20 still relevant to this day.

There's absolutely no reason to be forking over $700+ for a smartphone just to do video recording (as a primary use), it's insanely stupid to waste such money on those devices when the V20 is a highly viable option for $200 or less.

(yes I realize the OP said it was going to be a new phone but even so, I'd say get a V20 and be done with it and save some cash in the long run) :D
I currently have a V30, that I'm going to trade in on a new phone. I don't only use it for video recording, it's just one of the main points that I'm looking for in a new phone. I have a couple of external battery backups already, and several SD cards.

I have a Pixel 2 XL (which is pretty much the same camera as the 3 XL) and my wife has a Note 9. I haven't compared then directly, but I would go with the Note/S9 if just for 4k60 and the zoom lens. But the 3 XL has pretty crappy audio recording at the moment, like worse than the 2 XL somehow, which is supposed to be fixed in an upcoming software update, but who knows when or how effective it will be. IsI bet the V40 is just as good as current Samsung phones to, if not better for audio and video recording.

the v40's overkill on cameras would probably be the ticket for you.

IsI bet the V40 is just as good as current Samsung phones to, if not better for audio and video recording.
The V40 records video in HDR10 at double the bit rate of the Samsung when in manual mode (just record in manual mode with auto turned on). The mics on the V40 are better but I've read the bitrate is lower however I have yet to test that as it might be a typo from the site I read that on.

Back