Best Current Verizon Android phone?

Hmm...

So, my Galaxy S3 took a dirt nap last night, and now I am forced to go out and buy a phone.

LG G2 vs MotoX it is.

I like the fact that the MotoX gets frequent software updates, and doesn't have UI bloat, just basic Android. I also like it's voice control for Google Now. That being said, it's hardware specs are pretty bottom barrel, and it has a smaller low res screen.

The LG G2 has amazing hardware specs, and a great large high res screen, but I hate hate hate added UI bloat and preinstalled apps, ad the back buttons seem a little annoying.

Price difference is only $50, (MotoX: $399.99, LG G2: $449.99)

I think I am leaning G2, but it will need an immediate root and flash with CyanogenMod.

If you get the G2 rooting may not be needed. A lot of users are ok with running stock. Or some folks are rooting simply to remove bloatware but leaving the rom alone. Another consideration is that 4.4 Kitkat is expected to come in 1Q2014 (I assume you are in USA).

I just replaced my S3 with a G2 and am happy with the decision. You may want to try an app called Lux to handle the auto brightness since the G2 auto brightness program is not very good.

That seems like an exaggeration of battery life: I have to charge mine daily, on not much more screen time than 5 hours. Its typically 15-25% when I go to bed.

I got the LG G2 about a month ago and it's been amazing. The battery is insane. I get two days out of every single charge with 5+ hrs screen on time.

My gripes with it is that the back buttons aren't that great even though I'm perfectly adjusted to them and the external speaker is shit.

Wireless charging is nice but finicky. I can never just throw it on the pad, it always needs a bit of a adjustment to find the right spot. But when you only do it once every 2 days who cares.

Last edited:
Zarathustra[H];1040458224 said:
After some more reading I'm leaning towards the LG G2, but I will have to hold it in the store in person before making up my mind.

Also not sure if I'll be able to put up with LG's software customization, or if I'll have to root it an put the latest Cyanogen Mod on there.

The buttons on the back of the G2 killed it for me.

Zarathustra[H];1040553893 said:
The LG G2 has amazing hardware specs, and a great large high res screen, but I hate hate hate added UI bloat and preinstalled apps,

...does not subtract from the usefulness and/or performance of the phone at all. Still fast as hell, and the screen is great. If i had to choose between the moto x and a vastly superior speced phone with some UI additions and some preinstalled app.s.. I'd get the latter without thinking. It's still Android at the end of the day and if you're going to be using a phone for a couple years, might as well pick the better speced one.

...does not subtract from the usefulness and/or performance of the phone at all. Still fast as hell, and the screen is great. If i had to choose between the moto x and a vastly superior speced phone with some UI additions and some preinstalled app.s.. I'd get the latter without thinking. It's still Android at the end of the day and if you're going to be using a phone for a couple years, might as well pick the better speced one.

There are some concerns about which one is ultimately more futureproof, mind you. The G2 has a better display and higher performance, but it's not clear if the phone will ever get a newer version of Android beyond KitKat. Remember the Optimus G? Released late last year... officially stuck at Android 4.1. There's no guarantee that the Moto X will get that kind of royal treatment, but consider this: the phone was one of the first to get KitKat, even on Verizon (notorious for delaying or skipping updates). If you value long-term updates, you wouldn't even give the G2 a second glance.

Practicality is important, too. The G2 doesn't have Active Display or hands-free voice. If you want those kinds of conveniences, it doesn't matter how much faster the G2 is; you'd have to get the Moto X. The G2 has Knock On and quick covers, of course, but those aren't the same.

Personally? I would wait a few months until the S5(or LG G3 or whatever) comes out. You will be kicking yourself if not IMO... there are a bunch of good phones supposed to be released within a few months all with new SOC(805) that will be make it "future-proof" for another year.

Just IMO of course... :)

The note 3 is the best, and nothing will come out that is much better for a while.

Personally? I would wait a few months until the S5(or LG G3 or whatever) comes out. You will be kicking yourself if not IMO... there are a bunch of good phones supposed to be released within a few months all with new SOC(805) that will be make it "future-proof" for another year.

Just IMO of course... :)

Yeah, I wish I could do that. But with no phone, I needed something now. If the S5 is sufficiently compelling at launch, I'll ebay off the LG at a loss and pick it up.

So, yeah, I wound up going with the LG.

Overall, I really like it. Iv'e rooted it to get rid of some of the preinstalled apps (and install some root only apps that are must haves for me) but have yet to decide whether or not I want to put CyanogenMod on it. I'll probably wind up using the factory image until CM11 at least has a monthly snapshot for the G2, if not a stable release. I don't want to flash it to 10.2, and I'm not a fan of nightlies.

There are some things that will take some getting used to. The keyboard is not as good as the AOSP one (either that or I am not used to it yet). I find myself with a lot more typos.

Also, it's taking a lot to get used to the on screen menu (home, settings, back) buttons. I keep accidentally hitting home while typing, which makes me want to tear my hair out, but it's probably just a matter of getting used to it.

Also, the back buttons... Not sure what the hell they were thinking. Maybe it gets better with time, but right now, I can't wake the damned thing without flipping it over and looking at the buttons. Doing it by feel is nearly impossible.

The battery life is AMAZING compared to my recently deceased S3 (though that battery wasn't exactly new), the screen is beautiful, and it is very snappy.

Hopefully a month from now, my nagging issues will just be ones I will have gotten over once I am used to it.

Last edited:
We aren't running android 2.3, single core CPUs, 8gb of storage and 768mb of ram anymore, people need to quit making carrier bloat such a big deal. It doesn't affect performance any way at all. As long as the phone you get ships with 4.3 or better on it you'll be fine.

Enjoy your g2, it was the better phone to get wise decision picking that

We aren't running android 2.3, single core CPUs, 8gb of storage and 768mb of ram anymore, people need to quit making carrier bloat such a big deal. It doesn't affect performance any way at all. As long as the phone you get ships with 4.3 or better on it you'll be fine.

It's still extra bullshit nobody wants or needs. It wouldn't be so bad but most of then are simply garbage apps that work like shit.

Op, the stock android keyboard is on the play store.

I agree with this. If the bloatware has zero impact on performance then it is only a minor annoyance that should not sway a decision on whether or not to buy.

I've had my G2 for about a week and so far it is awesome.

Partially true, but it is still nice to have the standard Android interface and not have a bunch of apps you don't care for taking up space...

That, and my previous Galaxy S3 with its 1.5 GHz dual-core Krait and 2GB of ram was REALLY slow on yhe latest stock Samsung ROM, but flew in CyanogenMod...

I would take the GS4 for the IR remote, especially if you have a home theater or media center setup.

If you get the G2 rooting may not be needed. A lot of users are ok with running stock. Or some folks are rooting simply to remove bloatware but leaving the rom alone.

Yeah, it is pretty damned fast despite being on a OEM ROM. I tried doing what you suggested above. Rooted it to install some root only apps, and delete apps I don't want. Still couldn't use the App manager to delete unwanted apps so I downloaded something called RootAppDelete from the Play store. It allowed me to delete the unwanted apps, but the next time I rebooted the phone the Play store redownloaded all of them and installed them... :rolleyes:

I'm also having problems with AdBlockPlus which - in order to make it work properly - I need to clear the app data and re set it up every time I reboot the phone...

Other than these minor annoyances, now that I have the AOSP keyboard installed, I'm pretty happy with it.

Another consideration is that 4.4 Kitkat is expected to come in 1Q2014 (I assume you are in USA).

I hope that happens. I am on Verizon though, and they always take bloody FOREVER to release software updates...

There really is no excuse for any carrier to not update EVERY phone on their network to the latest android version within two weeks of release. We all know the risks of running our computers on outdated software and not patching. Why is this somehow acceptable on phones? The carriers should be ashamed of themselves.

Better yet, they should extract themselves completely from the process of what software goes on the phones, and leave that entirely up to the manufacturers, and just provide a dumb wireless ISP service.

Branding and software customization from carrier manufacturers is annoying, but further branding and customization from the service providers is just plain hell. I hope they die.

I just replaced my S3 with a G2 and am happy with the decision. You may want to try an app called Lux to handle the auto brightness since the G2 auto brightness program is not very good.

Thanks for the heads up. Apart from an accident where I set it to be so dark so I could no longer see the screen and had to reboot, I really like it. Much better than stock.

I wonder, what are the "stars" for in the pull-down menu? All it does for me is turn the screen red.

Back