Best Current Bang for the Buck cheap phone?

Bankie

2[H]4U
The Android 12 update for my OnePlus 7t that came out late last year has basically ruined it and at this point I'm tired of dealing with it. I loved the 7t while it lasted and I'd go OnePlus again if not for the fact that the update has ruined all faith I had in them. I was waiting on the Pixel 7a but I expected it to land at $400; not $500. Moto's models are impossible to decode and understand. I'd like to spend under $400 and get a phone that's not worse than the 7t which appears to be a tall order (Snapdragon 855+, 90hz OLED, 8GB RAM, 256GB Storage, 30W Charging).

Any suggestions?

The Android 12 update for my OnePlus 7t that came out late last year has basically ruined it and at this point I'm tired of dealing with it. I loved the 7t while it lasted and I'd go OnePlus again if not for the fact that the update has ruined all faith I had in them. I was waiting on the Pixel 7a but I expected it to land at $400; not $500. Moto's models are impossible to decode and understand. I'd like to spend under $400 and get a phone that's not worse than the 7t which appears to be a tall order (Snapdragon 855+, 90hz OLED, 8GB RAM, 256GB Storage, 30W Charging).

Any suggestions?
Your kinda stuck... Maybe a used S23 off of Swappa? If you can wait, used 7 when the 8s come out this fall??

Any suggestions?
Look for a deal on the 256GB Pixel 7, and be prepared to spend more than $400. You may be in for a tough search if you want to find a new phone for under $400 with that kind of display, memory and storage.

Look for a deal on the 256GB Pixel 7, and be prepared to spend more than $400. You may be in for a tough search if you want to find a new phone for under $400 with that kind of display, memory and storage.
Pixel 7 on black friday the deals were at $500.

Pixel 7 on black friday the deals were at $500.
If something like that is available, hop on it Bankie — you probably won't find better, although 256GB for $500 isn't guaranteed. If you don't find a sale, Google does accept trade-ins (though I wouldn't expect a huge amount for a OnePlus 7T) to help lower the price.

I don't necessarily need 256GB. Just seems crazy to me that I bought the OP7t for $350 brand new about 3 years ago and it's specs are still higher than just about anything now that's not $600+

I have consistently purchased used OnePluses on this forum used, and have had great results every time.

I have consistently purchased used OnePluses on this forum used, and have had great results every time.
I really liked OnePlus but their latest software updates to the 7t have been unacceptable. And now that Oppo owns them I trust them even less. Doesn't help that they've moved from OxygenOS to ColorOS.

Best Current Bang for the Buck cheap phone?​

Moto's models are impossible to decode and understand.
Your asking what is the best current bang for the buck cheap phone, comes up frequently. And just as frequently a Moto phone gets suggested. However you told us that Moto's models are impossible to decode and understand. You can go to GSM Arena and plug in any Moto model and see the specs and the pricing.

I really liked OnePlus but their latest software updates to the 7t have been unacceptable. And now that Oppo owns them I trust them even less. Doesn't help that they've moved from OxygenOS to ColorOS.
Apparently it's a return to form with the 11 series. We'll see. I just got a 9 Pro used so it'll be a while before I move to another.

Do you use TMobile network? If so, the Xiaomi 13 lite is on Amazon for under $400 and seems to compare favorably.

Do you use TMobile network? If so, the Xiaomi 13 lite is on Amazon for under $400 and seems to compare favorably.

I wouldn't go with Xiaomi for a budget-conscious phone in the US. It may work on T-Mobile, but woe be to the owner if the phone breaks... no aftermarket support means you're likely looking at a whole new device, not a repair.

I wouldn't go with Xiaomi for a budget-conscious phone in the US. It may work on T-Mobile, but woe be to the owner if the phone breaks... no aftermarket support means you're likely looking at a whole new device, not a repair.
Idk. Had a Mi9 for 3 years without issue. Was actually much less of a hassle than the recertified S21 I used for a couple of months. What a pos that was.

Then again I just get lucky and apparently never need aftermarket support on anything I buy. *shrug*.

Idk. Had a Mi9 for 3 years without issue. Was actually much less of a hassle than the recertified S21 I used for a couple of months. What a pos that was.

Then again I just get lucky and apparently never need aftermarket support on anything I buy. *shrug*.
That could certainly happen. I just don't think someone watching their budget wants to risk buying an entirely new phone when someone buying Apple/Google/Motorola/Samsung could get it fixed for much less.

That could certainly happen. I just don't think someone watching their budget wants to risk buying an entirely new phone when someone buying Apple/Google/Motorola/Samsung could get it fixed for much less.
Best way to watch your budget is don't get things broke. Sure, random events can happen...but again, maybe I'm just lucky.

The best aftermarket support is the one I don't need to use.

*Edit* And lets be honest, I'm sure if after 2 years or whatever a button stops working or a charging port you could have it taken care of. It's not like a Xiaomi is built any differently. But sure, it's different if someone is desiring the "all encompassing" warranty/service experience. I don't and actively avoid it as much as possible.

I think the best bang for your buck phones are the Moto 5g phones. Packed with features with a pretty small price tag. I don't know if I can ever get any other phone after this awesome Moto One 5G Ace.

The current Moto Gs have way worse specs than my OP 7t that was released 4 years ago. I'd need to step up to an Edge 30+ in order to get something comparable from Motorola.

Basically it looks like my best options are to wait for a Pixel 7a/7 sale or grab a OP10/11 during one of the deals they constantly send me.

Last edited:
I love calyxos on my pixel phone. Tho I use a pixel 5. Its specs are good enough for me. I also use a Mous case with their magnetic charging pads (kinda expensive). Might not be the fastest charge, but its great in the car just to slap it on the vent mount and go. Have you tried a custom ROM on your OnePlus?

and this is the problem with one plus now. hardware is not the problem it's the OS.

I think the best bang for your buck phones are the Moto 5g phones. Packed with features with a pretty small price tag. I don't know if I can ever get any other phone after this awesome Moto One 5G Ace.
Moto's late 2022 low-midrangers kinda took a backseat but for 2023 i see they've already started including the newer Snapdragon Gen1 4nm & 6nm. The performance on these resemble previous Gen 7xx Snapdragons.

https://www.headshotreviews.com/qua...on-4-gen-1-6nm-5g-mobile-platforms-announced/

https://phonedb.net/index.php?m=processor&id=917&c=qualcomm_snapdragon_6_gen_1_5g_sm6450

https://nanoreview.net/en/soc/qualcomm-snapdragon-6-gen-1 (UFS 2.2 i guess)

A hefty performance boost over it's predecessor the 695. Even it's Adreno GPU is a decent boost over the previous Adreno 619. Moto's already included the 6450 Gen1 in a giveaway phone, the Stylo 2023. Not sure what storage interface that model uses so heads up.

I haven't checked up on the Gen1 7xx chipsets yet but i'd expect decent improvements there too.

I have been using Motorola phones for several years. Never had any problems with them especially since I do not do mobile gaming.

Moto's late 2022 low-midrangers kinda took a backseat but for 2023 i see they've already started including the newer Snapdragon Gen1 4nm & 6nm. The performance on these resemble previous Gen 7xx Snapdragons.

https://www.headshotreviews.com/qua...on-4-gen-1-6nm-5g-mobile-platforms-announced/

https://phonedb.net/index.php?m=processor&id=917&c=qualcomm_snapdragon_6_gen_1_5g_sm6450

https://nanoreview.net/en/soc/qualcomm-snapdragon-6-gen-1 (UFS 2.2 i guess)

A hefty performance boost over it's predecessor the 695. Even it's Adreno GPU is a decent boost over the previous Adreno 619. Moto's already included the 6450 Gen1 in a giveaway phone, the Stylo 2023. Not sure what storage interface that model uses so heads up.

I haven't checked up on the Gen1 7xx chipsets yet but i'd expect decent improvements there too.
Yeah the main issue I have with those is that this old ass OP7t has a Snapdragon 855+ which is still a good bit faster in all of those benchmarks than the Snapdragon 6 Gen 1. It's likely not much of an issue since I don't play games on my phone but still...I'd like to not go backwards.

Right now OnePlus is selling the 10 Pro for about $450 which has a Snapdragon 8 Gen 1, 120hz display, and 65W fast charging (50W wireless charging). It's the route I think I may go at this point.

Last edited:
Right now OnePlus is selling the 10 Pro for about $450 which has a Snapdragon 8 Gen 1, 120hz display, and 65W fast charging (50W wireless charging). It's the route I think I may go at this point.
Oh yea, my post was OT bouncing off xDiVol's post.

In your case that choice is practically a no brainer ... Excellent specs at that price, I'd get it in a heartbeat.

I kinda ended up in your world. I picked up an iPhone 13 Mini in May. Because it was last gen, that’s -$100, because it’s a mini, that’s -$100. Traded in my previous iPhone for -$150. Used Apple Card to get 2% cash back and an interest free 2 year payment plan.

Came out to around $500 due over 2 years. I paid $150 in cash I had on hand. And so my monthly is $14.12. Which I feel like I can find in couch cushions. I could pay it totally off, but why? May as well enjoy the interest free loan.

My response probably doesn’t help. If I was in your shoes and going Android only, I’d likely shop for a Pixel device. If I needed to hit specific price brackets, just get a used one.

I definitely do not trust Samsung or all the Chinese manufacturers. Like you mentioned Oppo was good, but now they suck. Nothing Phone might be a cheap alternative, but if they don’t have longevity in support, you’re better off simply getting a used Pixel anyway.

Last edited:
Thanks for all of the responses. I was able to pick up a OP10t for a damn good price here in the FS section a few weeks ago. It's almost unbelievably fast/smooth and has none of the BT issues that my 7t developed. I kind of wanted wireless charging and missed out on it with this phone but the battery will usually get me through a couple of days and then 125w charging tops it up in like 20 minutes.

Back