Best CPU heatsink on the market!

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattinv

Limp Gawd
Hi everybody,

I'm running a series of test in a new computer case and I'd like to get your guys advice.
Which are the 3 best CPU heatsink avalaible on the market? The size does NOT matter. In fact, the bigger, the better (for clearance issue checking purposes).
I check out FrostyTech for some test, but I'd like to receive the feedback from end user as there might be differences between lab test and real applications.
Right now, I'm using a Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000.
Thank you in advance.

Matt

Hi everybody,

I'm running a series of test in a new computer case and I'd like to get your guys advice.
Which are the 3 best CPU heatsink avalaible on the market? The size does NOT matter. In fact, the bigger, the better (for clearance issue checking purposes).
I check out FrostyTech for some test, but I'd like to receive the feedback from end user as there might be differences between lab test and real applications.
Right now, I'm using a Scythe MUGEN-2 SCMG-2000.
Thank you in advance.

Matt

I'm not sure if this will be available on the market...but...god damn I love posting these pics...
Behold, the Scythe Godhand:

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/newxperment/?action=view&current=image3.jpg

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/newxperment/?action=view&current=1237971650429248.jpg

http://s226.photobucket.com/albums/dd48/newxperment/?action=view&current=0640f_scythe_godhand.jpg

I'm not sure if this will be available on the market...but...god damn I love posting these pics...
Behold, the Scythe Godhand:

Wow...I never saw that before...massive is an understatement...is that a prototype or an actual retail product?...even with a backplate I would be scared to mount that on my board

Well, at one time, the TRUE was king, but its starting to differ with i7. Some of the latest tests are showing the new Noctua cooler to be edging out the TRUE on i7. Each cooler will handle different CPU's different, but the TRUE is still one of the top coolers.

Wow...I never saw that before...massive is an understatement...is that a prototype or an actual retail product?...even with a backplate I would be scared to mount that on my board

According to the information I could gather, this is the prototype...A few websites have said that it should "be available in limited quantities within a few months." -(This quote was from March)

A quick google will tell you everything I know about it...I just know, that when I present it I feel like Tony Stark presenting the Jericho missile. :cool:

The only reason I could see Scythe not releasing this into the wild is that it doesn't perform much better than the Noctua/True/V10.

The heatsinks I'm looking for are mostly for a socket 775. But actually, it can be for Intel or AMD. Since they will be used for testing clearance in a new case, AMD or Intel sockets are all welcome.
It looks like the Scythe Godhand will not fit with our current design... The project I'm working on is actually a very special SFF case. But so far, everything else I tried and you propose fits.

HOLY BUDDHA, I was planning to get a cogage true spirit as my old ninja plus can't seem to cool my i7, but any cooler with GOD in it's name, I muse have!

on a different note, I bought a True 120, I notice before there was some complaining about the mount that comes with it but I can't seem to locate that thread and should I use the paste that comes with it or buy something else

If you look at the top sticky in this forum, you can see the thermal paste shootout. You can see that the BEST thermal paste can barely get 2C better than friggin cheese. So unless you built a lot of puters, just stick with the stuff they give you.

on a different note, I bought a True 120, I notice before there was some complaining about the mount that comes with it but I can't seem to locate that thread and should I use the paste that comes with it or buy something else

Yes, I did give a look to Frostytech but I wanted to hear end users opinion.
As soon as I get the next prototype done, I will post some pictures with some of the biggest heatsink I can find. In the mean time, I'll wait to hear from you guys to see what you suggest I use for the tests.

What about the Cogage TRUE Spirit? I've read nothing but good things about it and it's relatively cheap compared to everything else. I think I'm going to get one soon. This stock cooler doesn't even let me get to 3 GHz without getting 80C+ at load. Can anyone attest to the quality TRUE Spirit and recommend a good place to find one at?

Oh, and I'm surprised no one had pointed him to the [H] Heatsink roundup review for good references.

What about the Cogage TRUE Spirit? I've read nothing but good things about it and it's relatively cheap compared to everything else. I think I'm going to get one soon. This stock cooler doesn't even let me get to 3 GHz without getting 80C+ at load. Can anyone attest to the quality TRUE Spirit and recommend a good place to find one at?

Oh, and I'm surprised no one had pointed him to the [H] Heatsink roundup review for good references.
The TRUE Spirit has great bang for the buck, but I wouldn't classify it as one of the best heatsinks out there. It's a cut-down version of the TRUE and performs as such.

The TRUE 120 is battle tested for years now and is considered the product to beat. It's what I personally use in my rig. There may be one or two coolers out there that might edge it out by a few degrees, but you can't go wrong with the TRUE.

I just took a look at the "godhand"... that thing is ridiculous.

The TRUE Spirit has great bang for the buck, but I wouldn't classify it as one of the best heatsinks out there. It's a cut-down version of the TRUE and performs as such.

Did you read that [H] roundup..? According to that [H] heatsink roundup article, the Cogage TS seems to perform exactly the same, if not barely edge out the Thermalright TRUE 120 and cost less on top of that, making it the best value, IMO. Not trying to call you out, but just want to make sure you all are well informed on the Cogage's performance since it doesn't actually perform like a "cut-down" version at all, even though (you're right) that's what it is. Of course YMMV depending on your ambient temps and case airflow setup.

Last edited:
Did you read that [H] roundup..? According to that [H] heatsink roundup article, the Cogage TS seems to perform exactly the same, if not barely edge out the Thermalright TRUE 120 and cost less on top of that, making it the best value, IMO. Not trying to call you out, but just want to make sure you all are well informed on the Cogage's performance since it doesn't actually perform like a "cut-down" version at all, even though (you're right) that's what it is. Of course YMMV depending on your ambient temps and case airflow setup.
Yes, I did read the roundup. But I also read other articles, and on average, the TRUE Spirit is outperformed by the TRUE. Considering they use the same design, it's natural that the TRUE would perform better because it has a larger surface area and more heatpipes.

Yes, I did read the roundup. But I also read other articles, and on average, the TRUE Spirit is outperformed by the TRUE. Considering they use the same design, it's natural that the TRUE would perform better because it has a larger surface area and more heatpipes.

Indeed, and even in the [H] review the TRUE won out in the apples to apples testing, the TRUE also fits more than just a single Intel socket.

But it's so damn SHINY!! It's why I bought one.. But I had two regular TRUEs before it and it performs about the same..just bought it for bling..and on an impulse..

I bought one because my computer wasn't heavy enough!;)

The 9700 is nowhere near the best heatsink on the market.

Not sure about that but in my machine it keeps my OC Q9550 relatively cool.

At 4.3 GHZ idles low 30s and full load four cores as follows 63 56 61 61. (Use Real temp for temps). DFI system guardian records lower temps. Not sure which one is correct.

Last edited:
Post some screenshots? I seriously doubt that your CPU can do 4.3GHz while running Linpack, not throwing up any errors, and remaining at around 60C. And if it can, then you must have some great case airflow or really low ambient temps, and your chip would run at even lower temperatures if you had a truly good heatsink like the TRUE.

Post some screenshots? I seriously doubt that your CPU can do 4.3GHz while running Linpack, not throwing up any errors, and remaining at around 60C. And if it can, then you must have some great case airflow or really low ambient temps, and your chip would run at even lower temperatures if you had a truly good heatsink like the TRUE.

Here is a movie I made doing a few benchmarks on my rig. It's a long and boring movie that I made very quickly. It does show my machine working at 4.3 GHZ though..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN5j4Vk-QKY

Green Machine Solid

smallfinshedGMsolidHD4770Xfire.JPG

SmallGMSolidHD4770Xfire.JPG

GMSolidAugust2009XfireHD4770IQ9550E0.JPG

GREENLEDMODZALMAN9700XfireGMSolid.JPG

Here is a movie I made doing a few benchmarks on my rig. It's a long and boring movie that I made very quickly. It does show my machine working at 4.3 GHZ though..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN5j4Vk-QKY
I meant screenshots of you running a Linpack-based stress test without any errors while demonstrating those temperatures. The Resident Evil 5 benchmark doesn't require much CPU power and will not stress your chip or produce temperatures anywhere near what you'd see while running a real stress test. And a bunch of photographs of your PC doesn't lend any evidence to your claims either.

I meant screenshots of you running a Linpack-based stress test without any errors while demonstrating those temperatures. The Resident Evil 5 benchmark doesn't require much CPU power and will not stress your chip or produce temperatures anywhere near what you'd see while running a real stress test.

I see you didn't see the whole movie. I ran wPrime 1032 and resident Evil 5 benchmark in windows mode at the SAME TIME and then encoded the HD movie file at 4.3 GHZ. No problems. In the movie all my systems temps are viewable.
My RIG is solid.

I have never ran Linpack. I have ran furmark though, I like Furmark. :D

My temps are in the movie. Zalman is a good heat sink. Best? Not sure.

I'm thinking about getting a Corsair H50 but I'm not sure if it will be better than my Zalman 9700.

I see you didn't see the whole movie. I ran wPrime 1032 and resident Evil 5 benchmark and then encoded the HD movie file at 4.3 GHZ. No problems. In the movie all my systems temps are viewable.

I have never ran Linpack. I have ran furmark though, I like Furmark. :D

My temps are in the movie. Zalman is a good heat sink. Best? Not sure.

I'm thinking about getting a Corsair H50 but I'm not sure if it will be better than my Zalman 9700.
None of those things are proper CPU stress tests. So again, you weren't running temps anywhere near as high as what you would get if you were properly testing your CPU. And while Furmark is great for testing your GPU, it's useless for CPU testing. So again, saying that your CPU doesn't run much higher than 60C is meaningless if you don't actually stress it properly. Not to mention the fact that you have no idea whether or not your overclock is actually stable.

And the Corsair H50 would be quite a bit better than the Zalman.

Not to mention the fact that you have no idea whether or not your overclock is actually stable.

Well it is stable for any of my games or applications I run.

I'll check out the linpack stress test.

Well it is stable for any of my games or applications I run.

I'll check out the linpack stress test.

Zero is right, the Zalman falls way behind allot of the HS's out now, including the TRUE and is still louder than most of them also. DL link for IBT if you really want to give it a go. As I also do not believe your temps, in truth I don't see any aircooler out on the market now cooling a big quad at 4GHz+ and keep it around 60C, unless you live way north....

Zero is right, the Zalman falls way behind allot of the HS's out now, including the TRUE and is still louder than most of them also. DL link for IBT if you really want to give it a go. As I also do not believe your temps, in truth I don't see any aircooler out on the market now cooling a big quad at 4GHz+ and keep it around 60C, unless you live way north....

Loud is relative to the size of fans ran on a heat sink. The 92mm fan on the Zalman 9700 copper isn't loud.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back