Best CPU for 1440p 144hz gaming

masterosok

Gawd
Looking to upgrade my system in my signature, mainly so I can pass along the hardware I'm currently using to my GFs PC.

Wanted to know what the best options for 1440p 144hz gaming for CPUs. I don't plan to overclock anything. I will just be needed to swap the CPU and motherboard out.

I looking for options that factor in value vs performance. I don't want to get anything that is overkill but I don't want to miss out on value where it can be had even if a little more expensive.

Currently I was considering the Ryzen 7 2700x or the i7-8700 but I'm not sure if I really need those chips. Someone suggested a Ryzen 7 2600 but I'm not sure that is a good purchase value wise or not.

All suggestions are welcome. Thanks

I think a 2600X or 2700X would be pretty good for 1440p gaming. A 2600 would be good if you get one that overclocks well.

I don't really care to bother with O/C. I can get a 2700x (HS/F included) paired with a MSI x470 Gaming Plus at Microcenter for around $411. I think an Intel kit would probably be closer to 500 with not very must more performance.

I would think your 7600k system would out perform ryzen for Max fps, but the 1600 r5 for $100 would be a good start for a gf system :)

Sorry I missed your stock comment, but both cpus are pretty much even at stock https://www.anandtech.com/bench/product/2125?vs=2261 until you get into scenarios where you need more than 4 cores(some game engines and multiplayer on huge servers). The reason is the ipc on the 7600k is much better than the 2700x at similar clocks. You would probably see a pretty big bump pushing the intel cpu to 5ghz, but I understand not wanting to mess with it. Just my 2c though so by all means go to the 2700x you are just not going to get a huge leap until Zen 2 matches / overtakes intel :)

After doing some more research based on the games I am playing at the moment I am more GPU bottle-necked than CPU so I plan to hold off as prices for upgrades to my 1080 aren't very competitive at the moment. My only real option value-wise is a used 1080ti but it still going run at least 500 so I will wait until Radeon VII comes out and see if where prices stand then.

I might still upgrade just to pass long the 7600k to my gf but haven't decided yet. I prefer to invest in my system and just pass down my old hardware to her as she isn't a heavy gamer rather than invest in her system directly.

probably best to wait till summer for the Ryzen 3 unless you have lots of cash to throw at a 9700k or 9900k

The cool thing about am4 is a real good possibility of drop in upgrades unlike Intel. So if you were tempted, beats having to swap mobos for a little while anyway.

probably best to wait till summer for the Ryzen 3 unless you have lots of cash to throw at a 9700k or 9900k
Even if you have the cash to throw at a 9900k, the 3850x will give you 16c/32t for the same $500ish dollars (assuming it releases in May/June like projected).
I've been an Intel fanboy since the PII's and I'm not finding alot of justification for blue team right now the cost to performance ratio for gaming is just heavily weighted.
I'm hopeful for the the 3700x myself but I may spring for the 3850x

Back