Best CPU fan for cooling a quad core?

I'm getting ready to build a Intel quad core system and am planning to buy an ASUS Striker Extreme MB. I need a good CPU fan to keep it cool. I was look at getting a Thermaltake Big Typhoon VX. I haven't seen any CPU fans specifically for quad cores. Does anyone know of any compatibility problems between the ASUS Striker Extreme and the Big Typhoon VX? Or any CPU cooler made for quad core CPUs?

i run mine iwth a zalman 9500 but still runs hot as the quads do anyway
i've heard good things about the Tuniq Tower doing a better job on the quads
good luck

If you're talking strictly air, definately a tuniq tower if your case is big enough to accommodate it. It is very big and needs quite a bit of clearance. There are other options like the zalman 9700 and various scythe models that are pretty good too. I'd get as high of quality as I could if I was running quad core and planning to oc it. It's one hot sob.

If you're talking strictly air, definately a tuniq tower if your case is big enough to accommodate it. It is very big and needs quite a bit of clearance. There are other options like the zalman 9700 and various scythe models that are pretty good too. I'd get as high of quality as I could if I was running quad core and planning to oc it. It's one hot sob.

I'll be using a Coolermaster Stacker 830 case, which arrived today. It's bigger than I thought it would be. My kilowatt PS should arrive early next week.

I assume the tuniq tower has no problems fitting in the Striker MB with the heat sink fins surrounding the CPU or the RAM being the way?

I'm planning on buying the CPU cooler next and the MB, CPU, RAM, ect. last. I hope the cost of those components will come down slightly in the next couple of weeks. I've mainly been waiting on Vista to come out before I build my system. I just don't want there to be any surprises in a few weeks when I put my system together and find the heat sink won't fit the MB.

Thanks for the replies everyone. I hadn't heard of the Tuniq Tower before so you guys may have saved me from making a mistake in buying the wrong CPU cooler.

I have water for my QX, but for air, yeah, here's one more vote for the Tuniq Tower. Pretty sure it fits the striker, the board with the bigest compatibility issues with air coolers is the eVGA 680i, but even it works with the Tuniq.

Just for the heck of it though, check out the Noctua as well. If you can find it, every review I've read in the past couple months points to it as the current leader. Plus it comes with one of their premium quality fan.

I have water for my QX, but for air, yeah, here's one more vote for the Tuniq Tower. Pretty sure it fits the striker, the board with the bigest compatibility issues with air coolers is the eVGA 680i, but even it works with the Tuniq.

Just for the heck of it though, check out the Noctua as well. If you can find it, every review I've read in the past couple months points to it as the current leader. Plus it comes with one of their premium quality fan.

Thanks for the info. I ordered the Tuniq Tower along with 7 120mm fans last night. Hopefully they will be here before the end of the week. I'm probably going to be ordering the Striker in another week/week and a half. I want to have my new system built within the next four weeks or less.

Big typhoon does the same cooling plus it cools the area around the socket bettter than every other heatsink on the market. but if you want sufficient cooling for kentsfield that's proven.. it'd be a vapochill XE cascade phase unit, lol. Got 865 dollars?

if you have the money to buy a stupid quad core.. why the hell are you going aircooling?

look in the forsale forums.

people have the easy to maintain bigwaters . natillus, etc water cooler

if you have the money to buy a stupid quad core.. why the hell are you going aircooling?

look in the forsale forums.

people have the easy to maintain bigwaters . natillus, etc water cooler
since when is buying a quad stupid?
or is it cuz you cant afford it?

Thanks for the info. I ordered the Tuniq Tower along with 7 120mm fans last night. Hopefully they will be here before the end of the week. I'm probably going to be ordering the Striker in another week/week and a half. I want to have my new system built within the next four weeks or less.

I may have to send the Tuniq Tower back. My Stacker 830 case depth is 6.5" deep and the Tuniq is 6" tall. By the time I add the ASUS Striker and the stand-offs I won't be able to slide the MB tray in or close the door with the 4 120m fans. I should have measured first. I'll probably get the Big Typhoon if it doesn't fit.

From what I've been reading about the 8800 GFX card it's hot, and I'll be using two of them, combine that with a quad core CPU, 4 500GB HDs, 4GB of RAM, and I will need all four fans for sure. My 1kW PS was to long, I had to tweak the case to make it fit. I lost the use of the top mounted fan.

I'm already committed to air cooling so water is out for now. Besides, I've never really studied water cooling so I don't know what I would be getting my self into. I will probably need water cooling in 5 years for my next upgrade to a 16 core CPU.

I haven't got a quad core (yet) but I really like the Tuniq tower. I replaced the stock fan with an Evercool 120 mm. fan that pushes 79 CFM at 30 db. max. It blows out the rear exhaust in my P180 case. Some use an even more powerful 110 CFM 120 mm. fan for better cooling, but noise is an issue with me. With a good fan, Tuniq is one of the best air solutions.

Back