Best courier to ship a case (empty)

Napoleon

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm going to be shipping an Antec 900 case soon and was not sure which courier to use as far as a cost effective way to ship. I don't want to spend $60 in shipping for a $20 item.

I have my Corsair 750D box to ship it in (it is smaller so I'll just pack it full of more cardboard/Amazon packing materials), but this thing is massive.

Thanks for the tips, guys!

FedEx Ground is the best for delicate items that can't take a drop, but can be pricey. USPS or UPS is fine if you don't mind it getting dropped or manhandled (if it is packaged accordingly).

FedEx Ground is the best for delicate items that can't take a drop, but can be pricey. USPS or UPS is fine if you don't mind it getting dropped or manhandled (if it is packaged accordingly).
I've been doing fedex ground lately but am not sure I can afford it. This thing is a tank, I'm going to stuff the hell out of the box, pad up anything fragile, and send it on its way. Colorado to North Carolina, here we go

UPS is generally the cheapest for large and heavier items, just make sure you pack it really well.

IMO you'd be much better off selling that locally because shipping is gonna be expensive. It cost me $40 to send a micro atx/itx case from TN to CA (that had a whole pc in it mind you) around two years ago. I'd imagine this would be more expensive.

I've been doing fedex ground lately but am not sure I can afford it. This thing is a tank, I'm going to stuff the hell out of the box, pad up anything fragile, and send it on its way. Colorado to North Carolina, here we go

It should be fine as long as it has adequate outer padding (2 inches or more), and no parts inside that can move or come loose during shipping. So for example, I would never ship a built PC via USPS or UPS regardless of how it's packaged, but an empty case should be fine as long as everything is held in place.

UPS is generally the cheapest for large and heavier items, just make sure you pack it really well.

IMO you'd be much better off selling that locally because shipping is gonna be expensive. It cost me $40 to send a micro atx/itx case from TN to CA (that had a whole pc in it mind you) around two years ago. I'd imagine this would be more expensive.
I told a buddy about it and he mentioned it to a friend for a rebuild; I said i'd take $20 plus shipping for it. At this point it's more of a favor than making anything off it; that won't even pay for one of my Noctua PWM fans, perhaps I should charge $30 :)

I told a buddy about it and he mentioned it to a friend for a rebuild; I said i'd take $20 plus shipping for it. At this point it's more of a favor than making anything off it; that won't even pay for one of my Noctua PWM fans, perhaps I should charge $30 :)

Sounds like a major hassle to me for $20 lol. Shipping is a hassle in itself but shipping anything big is a PITA

Is FedEx Ground really safer than USPS?

In my experience, for large packages the answer is generally yes. One key thing to also consider is that FedEx delivery drivers are contractors, so there's more incentive to handle packages carefully. USPS and UPS drivers are employees of their respective companies, so there's less at stake for them.

Just keep in mind that these days its not just about the item weight anymore...It is the weight + overall size of the package. I have had it where if I manage to find a box that is a little smaller it would cost $10-20 less and even more in some cases compared to a bigger box.
But in General in the past when I shipped cases- FedEx Ground was always the cheapest and never had any issues with damages etc.

Shipping FedEx? Set up an acct and add your method of pymt with auto pay that way u can delay the outlay of money till the bill comes due.

That's what I have and use.

At least I get rid of a giant box! haha. These days I'm enthused to help anyone on their build, gotta keep building alive

I know the feeling. I offered up two ATX cases here for free. Got several inquiries but people weren't even willing to pay the shipping costs on them. Fortunately lucked up and found a local guy willing to take them off of my hands. I made $0 but ended up with more free space in my basement..

Tried to ship the Antec 900 in the Corsair 750D box, UPS wanted $80 to ship from Denver to North Carolina, ridiculous. I'm going to be offering it up locally for super cheap...

if you ship with UPS/Fedex. PACK IT IN LOTS OF PROTECTION.

They let boxes tumble down huge chutes, other boxes smashing into them, and they will throw packages into the truck when loading them. Ive seen it first hand

if you ship with UPS/Fedex. PACK IT IN LOTS OF PROTECTION.

They let boxes tumble down huge chutes, other boxes smashing into them, and they will throw packages into the truck when loading them. Ive seen it first hand

I agree with this, and would go further to say pack very well for ALL couriers, because they all deal in high volumes where speed is key. This means your stuff will get tossed, slammed, banged, and generally abused as a regular part of the process. I always tell my friends to pack their shipments as though they will be used as soccer balls, because honestly... they will.

Back