Best Core 2 Duo Mobo for OCing/Gaming

I have a DS3 currently, and it is a GREAT ocing board with solid reliability. Im @ 462FSB X 7 with my E6300 for 3.23GHz using 1.35Vcore. This board is awesome to say the least. However, I also have a P5B-DLX infront of me to be used with my new E6600, havent tested anything yet, but this board looks delicious!

Why would you get the P5B-E plus when you can get the P5B Deluxe for very likely the same amount of money?

The P5B-E can overclock well
http://www.anandtech.com/mb/showdoc.aspx?i=2882&p=15

As for the articles this is what I understood.
P5B Deluxe Wifi-AP Edition Poor gigabit chip, neither SLI or Crossfire, but has wifi
P5N32-SLI SE Deluxe, sucks power, good network usb speed, has SLI 16x but it's using nforce 4 chip (a little outdated),
P5W DH Deluxe, Crossfire board (ATI), has cool remote

The Asus striker doesen't look that bad if you a) know how to overclock it b) are willing to wait for bios updates to iron out bugs, it is still a hell of a lot better that the evga bug wise, the only main problem with the striker is when you try to o/c aggresively and it's hefty price. I just saw the layout and it's amazing.
http://www.firingsquad.com/hardware...xtreme_preview/
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/20..._preview/2.html
http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/20..._preview/3.html

ellover009 said:
Wich one of the 3 did you like best?

The one that was in the quote that I quoted you on in my post. Wow thats a hard to read sentence...

kirbyrj said:
I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that if the big difference between the P5B-E and the Plus version is the features and if you're interested in features than the P5B Deluxe is the better board.

Plus is reported to being a better overclocker than plain E-version, at least when it comes to high fsb.

Cuthalu said:
Plus is reported to being a better overclocker than plain E-version, at least when it comes to high fsb.

But for the price is it going to be significantly better than the P5B Deluxe? There's virtually nowhere to go in the price grouping for the P5B-E Plus. You have the P5B-E at $160 or so, and the P5B Deluxe is $180. Why would I get the Plus when for the same price I could get the Deluxe. The Deluxe hits 500mhz+ FSB. How much higher could the plus really get?

ellover09...also, there is the non-Striker Asus 680i board which I don't think you mentioned (or maybe on an earlier page). P5N32-E SLI or something like that. If you're looking for the possibility of dual graphics, I'd look at either that or the P5W depending on if you want Crossfire or SLI.

lots of ppl on this board forget that in order for the 965 boards to achieve their high FSB's they sacrifice performance by loosening the strap, unlike 975.

gimme a 975x @ 450fsb over a 965 @ 500 anyday of the week.

try booting a 965 at 400fsb and then using clockgen to up the FSB and watch it top out at 430 if you're lucky.....because booting @ 401+ FSB you're not on the 1066 strap anymore so there's more FSB headroom but at the cost of performance ....quite substantial performance loss too.

975 doesn't change the strap which is why it tops out at 450 orthos stable generally.

higher FSB != absolute performance :p

i think once the bios for 680i matures a little it has the ability to be the best o/c board about for pure performance....closely followed by 975 ....and then 965.

kirbyrj said:
I'm not denying that. I'm just saying that if the big difference between the P5B-E and the Plus version is the features and if you're interested in features than the P5B Deluxe is the better board.

That's not true. Plus has different layot and different components and it overclock's better and it looks a lot better. :p

kirbyrj said:
But for the price is it going to be significantly better than the P5B Deluxe? There's virtually nowhere to go in the price grouping for the P5B-E Plus. You have the P5B-E at $160 or so, and the P5B Deluxe is $180. Why would I get the Plus when for the same price I could get the Deluxe. The Deluxe hits 500mhz+ FSB. How much higher could the plus really get?

http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=59 - 590fsb Prime stable? ;)

Cuthalu said:
That's not true. Plus has different layot and different components and it overclock's better and it looks a lot better. :p

I consider these to be "features" :). I guess for me it would depend on how much better it OC's than the P5B-E and the P5B Deluxe. Especially since the Plus is only available in non-US markets at the moment and you'd have to pay to get it shipped in from Europe. Unless it was the very best OCing motherboard, I can't see it being worth it. How much better could it get you over the already excellent OCing P5B boards available in the US?

I'll have to look up how it looks too. I never really cared about that, but then again, I never had a window either :).

lots of ppl on this board forget that in order for the 965 boards to achieve their high FSB's they sacrifice performance by loosening the strap, unlike 975.

gimme a 975x @ 450fsb over a 965 @ 500 anyday of the week.

try booting a 965 at 400fsb and then using clockgen to up the FSB and watch it top out at 430 if you're lucky.....because booting @ 401+ FSB you're not on the 1066 strap anymore so there's more FSB headroom but at the cost of performance ....quite substantial performance loss too.

975 doesn't change the strap which is why it tops out at 450 orthos stable generally.

higher FSB != absolute performance :p

i think once the bios for 680i matures a little it has the ability to be the best o/c board about for pure performance....closely followed by 975 ....and then 965.
can you please elaborate on this? im not quite sure what you mean and it sounds very interesting.

If I'm not interested in using Crossfire support or sLi, which board is going to be best for me if I want a lot of the features?

If I'm not interested in using Crossfire support or sLi, which board is going to be best for me if I want a lot of the features?

I would say P5B Deluxe (Wifi version if you want it) or the P5W DH. I think both of those have a good balance of features (some not found on other boards) and OCing. I've used my P5W DH for the past few months, and I haven't seen any reason to switch to anything else at the moment.

I would say P5B Deluxe (Wifi version if you want it) or the P5W DH. I think both of those have a good balance of features (some not found on other boards) and OCing. I've used my P5W DH for the past few months, and I haven't seen any reason to switch to anything else at the moment.

Call me retarded, but whats the difference between the P5B Delux and the P5W DH? Just the chipset? Whats the difference between the chipsets?

Call me retarded, but whats the difference between the P5B Delux and the P5W DH? Just the chipset? Whats the difference between the chipsets?

Basically just the chipset. Some of the features are different due to a different MCH also. The 975X has the ICH7R and the high end 965 boards have the ICH8R. A couple more SATA ports on the 965, an IDE channel on the 975. 975 can run Crossfire at x8/x8 while some 965 boards can run it, but only at x4/x16 (if they have the proper PCIe slots available on the board). 965 boards have a strap which adjusts to 1333mhz speed when you run over 400mhz (or so), which allows for higher OC's...but only when running over 400mhz on the bus (stock is 266mhz). This allows for 450-500+mhz bus speeds. 975 boards will do around 425-450mhz because it doesn't move to 1333mhz, but stays with the 1066 strap. Other than that, they are pretty similar in performance. 975 has the advantage by a little bit at same clock speeds, but nothing really dramatic. Because of the OCing limits, most people will say that the 975X is good for E6600 and up and the P965 for E6400 and lower. Of course, feel free to use either as you see fit ;).

Back