Best cooling for 8800GT Superclocked??

Pagan Wizard

2[H]4U
I recently bought this card http://microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0276270 and was originally thinking about using this cooler http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835106112 knowing that the stock cooler on this card is crap.

Today I just found this cooler and think it is much better http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6324/vid-95/Zalman_VF1000_LED_VGA_Cooler_ZM-VF1000.html#blank I do realize that I would also need the VGA RAM/MOSFET Heatsink Set to go along with the cooler, and that this would make for a rather expensive cooler. I just wanted some of your opinions on the cooler I found today. I have used several Zalman coolers in the past, and they have never let me down.

You may also want to consider the thermalright hr-03 gt heatsink, just pick up a 92mm fan and clip it on. (i get good temps even after volt modding the card)

You could get an accelero s1 and some thermalright pwm coolers for a total cost of about $30. Add some random 120mm fan to the mix for another 10-15$ ish.

I get about 38c idle, 50 max load normally. Or at least that's what the thermal diode in the card reads. I've got a 800rpm 120mm fan attached, with a custom ramplate I got.

This isn't my card, but this is pretty much what it would look like:
Bare_Sinks.jpg

Accelero.jpg

Takes up 2 slots more than stock GT with a 120mm attached, but it's dead silent. You could use the Accelero and its stock ramsinks plus the pwm/mofset coolers from thermalright to seal the deal... if you wanted, that is.

Another vote for the Accelero S1. Fanless (on my 8800GT), it idles around 42C.

With an ~800 RPM (5v) Scythe 120mm fan, the 8800GT idles at about 39C. Max RPM (1200) brings it down to 36C.

I've heardgreat things about the DuoOrb GPU Cooler, and rumors that the EVGA Akimbo Cooler is good, I would like to see results too though... :)

With an ~800 RPM (5v) Scythe 120mm fan, the 8800GT idles at about 39C. Max RPM (1200) brings it down to 36C.

lol Im getting these temps with my Stock asus Cooler

Once again........ taking up 2 expansion slots to use a passive cooler plus a fan that I would have to find a way to attach is out of the question.

I do not have an Asus card, I have an EVGA card that I linked to in my original post. The Asus card has a better stock cooler on it than most other brands out there.....including the EVGA that I bought.

+1 for the Accelero S1 to.

Once again........ taking up 2 expansion slots to use a passive cooler plus a fan that I would have to find a way to attach is out of the question.

How many times will I have to repeat this statement before it finally sinks in???

How many times will I have to repeat this statement before it finally sinks in???
The problem is your topic title reads "Best" not "Best single slot" so people are putting down the king of cooling for the GT, which seems to be the oddly popular Accelero S1.

The ramsinks with the zalman don't match the G92 cards, they were built for the older G80 models.
So if you want ramsinks it's going to have to be another purchase.

I can't hear the Scythe fan on my Accelero. I have to get about 6" away before I'm actually able to notice the slight whoosh from the fan itself.

Having heard the stock cooler, I'd say that's a pretty significant upgrade. My case also has zero intake fans and two 120mm fans @ 5v for CPU/exhaust purposes, and I'm still able to manage a 3.36 Ghz OC on my E6750 (~50C max, full Orthos blend, 6 hrs+).

I suffered through two Socket A based rigs. I'd rather not ever have to hear a fan again. ;)

Silence is golden.

The problem is your topic title reads "Best" not "Best single slot" so people are putting down the king of cooling for the GT, which seems to be the oddly popular Accelero S1.

The ramsinks with the zalman don't match the G92 cards, they were built for the older G80 models.
So if you want ramsinks it's going to have to be another purchase.

This tells me that many here are just too dam lazy to read the body of the thread before throwing in their two cents. BTW, the stock cooler is a single slot cooler (meaning the card and stock cooler combined take up only one slot), the one I am asking about takes up one extra slot.........the Accelero takes up one as well....but then if you add in a fan, it takes up two extra slots, which is something I am not willing to do.

As for the ramsinks not matching up to my card, I did not realize that.....thank you for pointing that out. Buying different ramsinks is not a problem. Your info on the ramsinks was a big help that will save me a few bucks.

This tells me that many here are just too dam lazy to read the body of the thread before throwing in their two cents. BTW, the stock cooler is a single slot cooler (meaning the card and stock cooler combined take up only one slot), the one I am asking about takes up one extra slot.........the Accelero takes up one as well....but then if you add in a fan, it takes up two extra slots, which is something I am not willing to do.

As for the ramsinks not matching up to my card, I did not realize that.....thank you for pointing that out. Buying different ramsinks is not a problem. Your info on the ramsinks was a big help that will save me a few bucks.

Yaya, I didn't really think about the DuoOrb being more than single slot, but now that I look at the Zalman, it's pretty obvious that it takes up an extra slot. Anyway, you can actually run the S1 passively if you have good airflow in the case, I mean the fan only lowered my delta load temperature, idle temps were only a few degrees different but the load temp dropped a bit more, but you just seem set on the zalman, not much can compete with it in its class.

I am not set on that Zalman cooler, however, I am set against any passive coolers. I simply do not want to use any passive coolers reguardless of which company makes it.

That reminds me of the Arctic Cooling NvSilencer 5 Rev.3. Should fit, at least according to some people on toms forums and various other forums around the net, looks like it covered the ram, too.

I think it might be harder to find as it was originally built for the 6800 series, still works if you can get you hands on one. (and cheap)

I couldn't think of the "Arctic Cooling" brand name, but you reminded me of it Diablo. One thing I especially like about this cooler is that unlike the AC coolers, this one is all copper. The AC coolers were aluminum. About the only thing I would be concerned about with this cooler, is that it is a "universal fit" and they say it fits most cards out there. If I buy it and it doesn't fit, I have a paper weight instead of a GPU cooler.

Here is the EVGA Akimbo cooler that someone else here mentioned. http://www.evga.com/products/moreinfo.asp?pn=202-F2-EV03-A1 The biggest thing that I like about this one is that it combines the design of AC cooler and the IceBerq6 that Waveforme mentioned, along with a guaranteed fit because it is made specifically for the 8800GT's by EVGA. EVGA claims that it can drop your temps by 20* - 25*C. Scroll down this page to where it talks about the 8800GT to see the specs http://www.evga.com/articles/392.asp This might just be the winning ticket.

Yes it has that stock look, which might make it easier to resell i believe. Plus it blows the hot air OUT of the case, this is the one Im getting, Ill share my review of it later next week. :D

hmm, so it actually is a different cooler than the stock 8800GTS 512 cooler. I wonder how it performs compared to that one.

For the price of an 8800GT + new cooler, you could just buy the 8800GTS 512MB, which has a better cooler and is 8-10% faster at stock.

I couldn't think of the "Arctic Cooling" brand name, but you reminded me of it Diablo. One thing I especially like about this cooler is that unlike the AC coolers, this one is all copper. The AC coolers were aluminum. About the only thing I would be concerned about with this cooler, is that it is a "universal fit" and they say it fits most cards out there. If I buy it and it doesn't fit, I have a paper weight instead of a GPU cooler.

Ya, but gram for gram thermal conductivity is about the same, copper is just far more dense so if you have a piece of copper the same size as a piece of aluminum the copper wins.

And those two coolers are pretty close in weight (so the aluminum is bigger) so thermal conductivity should be... about the same, theoretically, but the fan on the AC model seems nicer, possibly pushing more air more quietly.

Or I could be, incorrect as I am no physics/chem major.

For the price of an 8800GT + new cooler, you could just buy the 8800GTS 512MB, which has a better cooler and is 8-10% faster at stock.

Well actually there are a number of manufactures that produce there own superior cooling solution on the 8800GT for less than that EVGA superclocked. Most GT's will clock past the EVGA superclock esp with decent cooling anyway with seemingly little binning going on.

Buying a EVGA SC and then extra cooling is bad purchasing imo.

Well actually there are a number of manufactures that produce there own superior cooling solution on the 8800GT for less than that EVGA superclocked. Most GT's will clock past the EVGA superclock esp with decent cooling anyway with seemingly little binning going on.

Buying a EVGA SC and then extra cooling is bad purchasing imo.

Is this what I was asking for or are you guys trying to hijack the thread??

One more thing....yeah the cheaper GT's might OC faster than my card runs out of the box, but if I were to OC my card, it would still smoke the cheaper cards, so your opinion means nothing to me.

One more thing....yeah the cheaper GT's might OC faster than my card runs out of the box, but if I were to OC my card, it would still smoke the cheaper cards, so your opinion means nothing to me.

Yea wrong, your max overclock is no more likely to exceed a cheaper card, a SC is a stand reference card different in no way apart from factory overclocked and a ridiculousness price tag lol, its not even made by EVGA.

They all have the same chance of hitting high clocks...the "cheap" stock clocked cards can still overclock as well as or better than the superclocked cards. They're all made by the same company, and while eVGA's binning might eliminate some of the poor overclockers, they're still exactly the same 8800GT as every other model based on the reference design. Sorry, but I would never pay extra for a small overclock. You're obviously not the same type of customer I am.

As for the GTS being cheaper than the 8800GT+ new cooler, I was just trying to toss in an alternate opinion, since you may not have considered it. Don't get your panties in a wad.

I didn't start this thread to discuss OC'ing and have no intentions of even trying to OC my card. The reason I bought a factory OC'ed card was to avoid buying a cheaper card, OC'ing it, smoking it, trying to RMA it (after it's demise was my own fault) and having the manufacturer tell me "you altered the original bios on this card with an unauthorized bios flash,or by changing voltage limits or clock speeds set at the time of manufacture, effectively voiding any warantee". Yes I have had that experience in the past with a different manufacturer, so you are right....I am not the same type of customer you are......I can't afford to have an expensive paper weight that was cheaper than a faster stock card. Now if you don't mind, I would like to get back on subject here of cooling the card.

I didn't start this thread to discuss OC'ing and have no intentions of even trying to OC my card. The reason I bought a factory OC'ed card was to avoid buying a cheaper card, OC'ing it, smoking, trying to RMA it (after it's demise was my own fault) and having the manufacturer tell me "you altered the original bios on this card with an unauthorized bios flash,or by changing voltage limits or clock speeds set at the time of manufacture, effectively voiding any warantee". Yes I have had that experience in the past with a different manufacturer, so you are right....I am not the same type of customer you are......I can't afford to have an expensive paper weight that was cheaper than a faster stock card. Now if you don't mind, I would like to get back on subject here of cooling the card.

Actually I can hit 739/2072 stable with no bios or voltage change using RivaTuner, its really hard takes a bout 5 seconds to move a slider.

Very complicated process.

Did you happen to read the first sentance in the post you just quoted from me??? I don't give a flying fuck about your OC and have no intentions of trying to OC my card. The only thing I am interested in with this thread, is cooling my card.

Did you happen to read the first sentance in the post you just quoted from me??? I don't give a flying fuck about your OC and have no intentions of trying to OC my card. The only thing I am interested in with this thread, is cooling my card.

Don't have a spazdick fit, your reply was making overclocking sounds incredibly hard, i was dumbing it down for you :)

Your card IS already factory overclocked, just not very much. You are the one making incorrect random statements about its superior OC ability thinking it is something other than a reference model. If you don't like being corrected don't make dumb statements.

I hear you, im getting the EVGA Akimbo for the same reason. I already have the EVGA 8800GT SC and its artifacting on me. I can't return it so I'm going to get a better cooler, and make sure the ram is covered correctly. This way the hot air will also blow out of my case. Hopefully Ill be able to return it to its factory overclocked settings too.

Don't have a spazdick fit, your reply was making overclocking sounds incredibly hard, i was dumbing it down for you :)

Your card IS already factory overclocked, just not very much. You are the one making incorrect random statements about its superior OC ability thinking it is something other than a reference model. If you don't like being corrected don't make dumb statements.

I never said OC'ing was incredibly hard....if I did....please point that out to me. What I did however say was that I had a manufacturer tell me I voided a warantee and they would not RMA it because the damage was my own fault.

This screams what Waveforme said in an earlier post

you shoulda known you wouldn't get a straight answer. It's like the guy who asks a question about agp cards.. and the majority of responses tell him to go PCI-Express.

Now.....can we PLEASE go back to discussing COOLING OPTIONS?????????

Thermaltakes DuoOrb, EVGA Akimbo, Acellero, Acellero Extreme(this thing looks ginormous).

Whats more important, Cooling or money?

Thanks WT, I guess cooling a card I already own (bought it for $229 on sale from MicroCenter) is what is really important to me. Like I said in a much earlier post, the stock cooler is a single slot cooler, meaning that the card and cooler combined take up only one slot. The coolers I have been looking at take up one extra slot with the included fan. These options take up a total of two slots between the card and cooler. Some here were suggesting that I get an Accellero and add on a fan. This option would take up a total of three slots which is something I am not willing to do, nor am I willing to run with passive cooling and no fan.

Having said that, these are the coolers I am looking at in no particular order.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16835106112
http://www.frozencpu.com/products/63...000.html#blank
I know already that the optional ramsinks will not work with my card and that I would need to buy different ramsinks.
and finally
http://www.evga.com/products/moreinf...202-F2-EV03-A1

Back