Best cooler for EVGA 480?

Kainzo

Gawd
My eVGA GTX 480 stock (not overclocked) is getting up to 105C when playing DX10/11 games like Mortal Online, etc.

I have a HAF 942X case with all fans added and on. Not sure why i'm overheating so badly.

What are your thoughts for an aftermarket cooler for the GTX 480?

I have the EVGA GTX 480 that they sent me for RMA on a 295. I have a antec 1200 and even with the fans going full blast and it only being around 65f in my house the card still gets up to 95c playing bf3. Im getting ready to water cool mine. The 480 runs hot! I guess 85-95c is normal for this card. It does seem like my evga and yours do run a bit hotter that other temps I have read online. I wonder if the TIM is installed poorly. I will take a look at mine when I dissemble for the water block.

I think the best aftermarket cooler for a GTX 480 is a GTX 580. :)

I had a Zalman VF3000F on mine, and it did a very good job of controlling the temps and the noise, but it puts a lot of heat into your case. There is an Arctic Cooling solution that is supposed to work pretty well also.

I have a galaxy 480gtx soc with a version of that AC 3 fan cooler. Works awesome. Running at 30% fan I never hit more than 60C during the winter. That is playing BF3 too.

The Arctic Cooler is the bes followed by the Zalman.

I ocd'd and set the fan speed to 100% on mine and the temps never go above 80c. 50-60c is normal.

I might add my cpu room is pretty cold lol. I like the winter and run no heat in that room. Free cooling.

I am running a pair of 480s with the Arctic coolers.

I run overclocked (800mhz) and the cards run at about 62C and 68C on average.

This is the best solution for the cards, but even with careful shopping, it cost me about $130 for the pair and the installation is not for the inexperienced. I accidentally dropped one of the HSFs while installing and it broke off one of the surface mount caps - after the heart attack passed, I managed to order some new caps and solder one on - works well.

The cards are actually fine running up to 100C, but most people are just bothered by the thought of it.

Another thing to keep in mind is that the cards generate the same amount of heat no matter what solution you use. They will heat your room.

get one of those zalman coolers, since the arctic ones have piss poor vrm cooling (trust me, since i have one, and i'm afraid to overclock with just a piece of aluminum).

Back