Best Cooler for an i7 920 at 4.0ghz+

irishtea

n00b
I want to take my 920 to 4.0ghz. Child's play, right? Not exactly. I want to run the CPU cool(ish) at that speed, so that I can maximize its lifespan to get me through till I have enough money saved up for the next generation. Currently, the CPU hangs around 47-67C depending on load, and sometimes hitting almost 75 under really heavy extended load. I am currently using a 980x stock fan with generic ceramic paste to apply. (The seller of the cpu threw it in for free.) With that said, I already plan on at least one thing: Using Arctic Silver on my next installation, whatever that may be in this case. Keep in mind that my current temps are on STOCK clocks. OC'ing at all greatly increases these temps.

I am open to liquid cooling, so long as the price and effort doesn't break the bank. I have seen some crazy mods on cases just to get liquid cooling to work effectively and I don't personally want to have to mod in order to cool my CPU effectively. For sake of a shorter thread, I would personally prefer Air cooling, because in my opinion it is easier to set up than liquid cooling. However, I am still willing to get liquid.

System Specs are in signature.

NOTE: Upgrading to a 6950 soon.

My case is a Gigabyte Aurora 3D
Shown Here: http://www.techfuels.com/attachment...byte-3d-aurora-570-gigabyte-3d-aurora-570.jpg

OP, there are many heatsinks available to do what you require. If you choose one of the higher end coolers from Noctua, Thermalright, or Prolimatech, you should be in great shape. That's just 3 of the top brands out there that you wont be disappointed with. There are many more, but please expect to pay a decent amount for quality cooling.
i want to overclock as well i wonder how i will do that.
http://www.google.com/#hl=en&sugexp...gc.r_pw.&fp=dea6519f27a77d79&biw=1680&bih=898
Please use the search function and at least ATTEMPT to find what you're looking for before posting. Here!

When i first got my 920 i was using the Xigmatic S1283. It did Ok, but once i got past 3.6 the temps were getting out of control. I went with the Corsair H50 at the time i think it was 80$ and have never looked back. Super quiet, and has kept me running rock solid at 4.2 for... almost two years now. Load temps are usually under 70C unless im running prime or something like that, then it will go up to 78C or so.

There are so many more options now for watercooling from Corsair and antec any of them will provide a really good experience for you.

do people do the push/pull config? or just one fan? im looking at the antec 620 and 920 which comes with 2 fans. im new to water cooling.

I was running a push/pull configuration with the H50 and my 920 for a while before I went to my current liquid cooling system. It did very well and I did not have any prime reason to upgrade away from it and I was running with load temps under 60C with an ambient room temp of ~78F. The most important thing to consider is what fans you will be using with the H50 since the radiator is thin. There are plenty of threads relating to fan choices with this particular cooler although I was using some very loud Yate Loons which worked fairly well.

just got my h80. i love the flexibility, ease of installation, and of course the sweet cooling. the temperature controlled fans that it comes with were a really good idea on corsair's part.

Back