Best cooler for AMD 1100T?

JediFonger

2[H]4U
i've been out of the game for a VERY LONG TIME =P i've had this CPU 1100T for a very long time also but actually never used it.. I know I know, I should have sold it, etc.

aaanyways. long story short I finally got it back up and running on a Gigabyte 890FXA UD5 Rev2

it's running the stock fan, which as I've recently doesn't do jack squat when you put full load on the CPU. why did AMD even sell the stock fan with a 1100 in the first place?

even after reseating, replying thermal paste, I'm still hitting 90+ deg C. so I am now looking for replacement air cooling. not into water cooling, just air cooling.

back in the day noctua was shiznit, is it still? I used to be a die hard thermaltake fan, are they even still around?

what's the best performance per dollar, etc.? some people recommend the coolermaster or zalmon for the am3s.

thoughts/comments/ideas?

Those temps are well above the maximum temperature of that CPU (62 deg C).

If you are hitting those temps at stock frequency/voltage then there is either something wrong with the mount, tim or the fan isn't spinning.
You shouldn't need to buy a new cooler just to put a full load on the CPU.

What software are you using to monitor temps and which reading (core temperature or cpu/socket temperature)?

90C does seem a little too high. Sure youre looking at the right temperature? Even for the socket temp though, thats awful high.

As for coolers, A Cooler Master Hyper 212 would be a good place to start. I had a 1090 and got it to 3.9 24/7 stable with a Hyper 212+ and AC5 paste. A Noctua D14 would be an even better way to go as thats 1 of the best HSF's on the market. The new D15 is out and is a little better but is also still a little pricey. But a D14 should be more than enough for overclocking a 1100 even for hardcore 4+ GHz overclocks.

I have an 960t that I have unlocked to 6 cores (essentially the same as your cpu) and overclocked to 3.5ghz/core. I'm using a Zalman 9700cu with no issues. In fact, the warmest it gets is around 58c under load. My .02

What case you have determines the distance from CPU to case cover. Distance from RAM to center of CPU and from PCI-E socket to center of CPU as well as height of the RAM you are using are all part of the equation to determine what coolers will fit.

NH-D14 is still one of the top coolers, but there are now some 2-5c better.

i did eventually figure this out, it was just dust. i took everything back out and cleared everything away. after cleaning all the dust bunnies in the entire case, i put everything back and now idle is 30 to 35C and load is around 57 to 60C it never goes past 60C.

i'm using EasyTune the gigabte app to monitor this. someone... coretemp doesn't work or something. ah well.

i have also since read up a bit on the variety of coolers. it looks like the Scythe Mugen 4 will be my choice it's cheaper and is better than stock system. i dont need super expensive cooler just something better than stock. i'm not doing any crazy OC, i just encode a lot of h264.

PS thanks EVERYONE!

it took forever but i finally purchased a sythe mugen4. it's still in box and haven't had time to upgrade yet... but this should do the trick so clean the case less ;)

will report back on load temps after upgrade. kthx!

yeah i hate bumping old threads, but i did finally install it and temps went from what i had above down to 23-25°C at the most and 19C idle!!! also depending on which fans i used, if i used the tornado fan (i forgot what it was called) it sounded like a server room it was 15-19°C on load (full encoding and everything) at the most. that is uber insane! anyways just thoought i'd share this, after market heatsinks rule!

Back