Best cooler for 5800x

Would you guys suggest the 280 or 360 for a 5800x if there's a 20 dollar price difference? Wondering what temps diff are

Would you guys suggest the 280 or 360 for a 5800x if there's a 20 dollar price difference? Wondering what temps diff are
Would get the 360 unless it causes build issues. The difference isn't huge in surface area, unlike going from 360 to 420, but every bit helps. The 5800x runs very hot compared to the rest of the 5000 series. It is 10+ degrees hotter than a 5900x at 142 watts all core load and should have been limited to 130w or so IMO. Also the 360 will be able to run at lower fan speeds with the same cooling performance so you get better noise to cooling ratio as well. IIRC I got 77 degrees or so at stock PB in cinebench on a corsair h150i RGB pro XT (360 aio) on extreme pump and fan profile while running cinebench when I benched it vs air and a small custom loop (360 rad). Cinebench is not a hot running benchmark as it runs between 52 and 59 degrees on my 5900x in my main system at stock PB, depending on fan speeds and ambient. Would probably go with arctic cooling if I was to run an AIO though.

Last edited:
I was previously running a corsair h100i but changed out the fans with noctuas. So I could reuse those. I don't think I can fit anything bigger.. Load temps with the 5800x were in the 70s. Im guessing this is normal bc these chips run warmer. Will any of the coolers mentioned above be better than my previous AIO?
If load temps are in the 70's you're just fine with what you have. Don't waste your money.

Are you running push/pull on the radiator? If not, do that and you'll shave a few degrees off. Personally I run an h100i with 4 fans in push pull (static pressure is important. Noctua's are great!) and my temps only exceed 80C under stress testing.

Well those are load temps for games not any stress testing but it depends what games. I have both fans on my h100i set to exhaust. I have two front fans as intake and that's it. I was only asking this bc I want to do a diy on evga and I figured I could keep the evga cooler as a back up as my corsair h100i is going on 7 yrs not really sure how long these last? Btw what cpu do you run?
If load temps are in the 70's you're just fine with what you have. Don't waste your money.

Are you running push/pull on the radiator? If not, do that and you'll shave a few degrees off. Personally I run an h100i with 4 fans in push pull (static pressure is important. Noctua's are great!) and my temps only exceed 80C under stress testing.
Well those are load temps for games not any stress testing but it depends what games. I have both fans on my h100i set to exhaust. I have two front fans as intake and that's it. I was only asking this bc I want to do a diy on evga and I figured I could keep the evga cooler as a back up as my corsair h100i is going on 7 yrs not really sure how long these last? Btw what cpu do you run?

Ooh. Gotcha. 7 years is quite a while for an AIO. My h100i is 2 years old and is cooling a 5800x (not my sig rig). I'm running 4 fans in push/pull exhaust on the AIO. 1 additional 120mm exhaust in the rear and 3 x 120mm intake. What case are you using?

Ooh. Gotcha. 7 years is quite a while for an AIO. My h100i is 2 years old and is cooling a 5800x (not my sig rig). I'm running 4 fans in push/pull exhaust on the AIO. 1 additional 120mm exhaust in the rear and 3 x 120mm intake. What case are you using?
I have the older corsair 450d. Was thinking of getting a new case since I usually do that whenever I build a brand new pc. But there really was nothing that caught my eye. I do like the new corsair that are a sequel to mine and also the Phanteks Enthoo Pro but the latter is prob to big for me... I didn't see the point in getting a new case when this one is perfectly fine and is amazing at not getting much dust with all the Magnetic covers. BTW how do you have 4 fans on the aio? Do you really think that helps much? Whenever I added a rear exhaust fan on my case I didn't notice any diff in load or idle temps so I just keep it empty.

I have the older corsair 450d. Was thinking of getting a new case since I usually do that whenever I build a brand new pc. But there really was nothing that caught my eye. I do like the new corsair that are a sequel to mine and also the Phanteks Enthoo Pro but the latter is prob to big for me... I didn't see the point in getting a new case when this one is perfectly fine and is amazing at not getting much dust with all the Magnetic covers. BTW how do you have 4 fans on the aio? Do you really think that helps much? Whenever I added a rear exhaust fan on my case I didn't notice any diff in load or idle temps so I just keep it empty.

Push/pull is good on AIOs because they mostly have high fpi radiators, and in the case of the 280mm versions, 140mm fans kind of suck in general for static pressure, so doubling up on them helps there more than it does on 240/360.

That being said, it doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot for a 5800X. That CPU is thermally dense, but the actual heat output is relatively low. You don't need a lot of radiator space and fans when the load is only 140-ish watts. 280 or 360 probably makes no significant difference.

Push/pull is good on AIOs because they mostly have high fpi radiators, and in the case of the 280mm versions, 140mm fans kind of suck in general for static pressure, so doubling up on them helps there more than it does on 240/360.

That being said, it doesn't matter a whole heck of a lot for a 5800X. That CPU is thermally dense, but the actual heat output is relatively low. You don't need a lot of radiator space and fans when the load is only 140-ish watts. 280 or 360 probably makes no significant difference.
So your saying to just get another 240? Like I said I honestly just want to get the evga one if I get the gpu by doing the diy thing where you need to add gpu, psu and one other item... This corsair one being 7 years old it could go anytime lol

So your saying to just get another 240? Like I said I honestly just want to get the evga one if I get the gpu by doing the diy thing where you need to add gpu, psu and one other item... This corsair one being 7 years old it could go anytime lol

240/280/360 are all going to work OK. The 280 will probably run 2-3 degrees cooler than the 240, 360 probably 1 degree cooler than 280. I would get the 360 just to get the 360, but it's your money, get whatever you want.

If you can fit a 360 I’d go with it. My new case could fit one, so I ditched the 280. In my setup the 360 is quieter and cools better by at least a few degrees.

Back